Nissan 240SX Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home Depot Lip Kit?

42K views 90 replies 38 participants last post by  BoostinIX 
#1 ·
Honestly, do people like to cheapen their cars THAT much? I was surfing NewTiburon, a Tiburon forum I'm a member of and I came across this. The idea came from an SRT-4 forum. It involves getting a garage door sealer from Home Depot and cutting it and creating a lip kit for the front bumper. Really... really? Is that what we are coming to? We can't afford nice stuff that belongs on cars anymore, we buy stuff that belongs on a garage floor and slap it on a car? I'm so glad I got out of the Tiburon scene. There are smart members on that site that try their damnedest to give Hyundai a good name and people like this come along and ruin whatever we did to help. I'm glad I got my 240SX when I did.

Link to the DIY on NewTiburon:
DIY: Home Depot Lip Kit - NewTiburon.com Forums

#36 ·
The HD lips have been done in the Miata world for quite some time... Why buy something uber-expensive when you are gonna bash it into things? At least that's their motto...

And LOL @ the bashing...

#37 ·
BTW you did say something about essentially 'downgrading' their cars...

Honestly, do people like to cheapen their cars THAT much?
That came from the first sentence of this thread...

#38 ·
No, that doesn't mean "downgrade" it literally means cheapen. It lowers the value of the car. The average car buyer would generally not want a rubber piece of a garage door on their car. I wouldn't consider a visual mod a downgrade, pretty much ever with the exception of intentionally destroying the paint or busting out the windows or denting it or anything else extreme like that. Now it is possible to downgrade performance, but that's not what I'm talking about.

#40 ·
Also "average" car buyers aren't going to like body kits or lambo doors. And like thagr81 said the majority of people see downgrading as cheapening. Downgrade means to rate lower or lower in value. Your car has been lowered in value with your mods. Therefore you downgraded.

#39 ·
Well alright... I'm just gonna tell ya, 99% of people are going to read 'cheapen' as 'downgrade'.

#41 ·
Actually, I sold my car for a few thousand over KBB value and that wasn't because of a fluke, its because of the mods and the way the car looks. And I guarantee it was an average car buyer who bought it because he was all giddy about it and had no clue about the audio stuff nor all the mods that were done lol. I honestly don't care what people think about my old car. It's not mine anymore. Take it up with the kid who bought it.

Hell, people still crack jokes at me and beg that I don't put lambo doors on my 240. I shake it off and laugh about it. My main point for re-entering this thread is to address that butthurt NT member. Face that facts that some people will have negative comments about your car. It doesn't matter what I think, it's your fucking car, do what you want. I didn't listen to people crying to me about my car because it's not theirs, and because of that, I won shows.

#42 ·
You're putting lambo doors on a 240!? Ewwwwwwwww.... You better buy a good nomex race suit to avoid the flames. :flamers

ps - LOL @ your taste in modifications.

pss - Shows cars are silly... Build something for the track. I can buy trophies and have them engraved to what I want. But I can't build a reputation parking my car and having ppl look at.

#43 ·
Haha, that's the joke. Lambos on a 240 would look ridiculous. That's why we enjoy the good laugh.

lol @ my taste in modification? I'm boosting and lowering my 240 when I get the money. I do every aspect of the mod scene: audio, visual and performance. However when a car has no potential to begin with, speed mods aren't worth it. Tiburons are fat cars that don't handle so great and cannot go fast comparatively even when you dump tens of thousands of dollars in it.

I got plenty of reputation with my Tiburon. Nobody saw me run it because I don't street race and the closest track to where I lived was 2 hours away anyway. But I always got random people coming up to me at school or in stores asking if "that red car" was mine.

#44 ·
Thagr81 means a good reputation. Also, just a quick look at the tiburon forums I see quite a few running 270+ whp so you're logic fails since that's probably what you'd see with a nice boosted 240 build and tiburon's don't weigh a whole lot more than 240's. If you do all aspects of the "mod" scene the show us some performance you've done.

#45 ·
My first car was a 1969 Mustang Fastback which I cloned into a Mach 1. It had a carbureted 302 that I rebuilt. I started the project when I was 14 years old and I ended up putting down 325 hp. Before you ask, no, I don't have documentation of it because I don't need to show off numbers, I'm not that much of an attention hungry car enthusiast and also, I was never on car forums at that young of an age, so I had nobody to prove it to. I could have put more power into it, but my dad told me that he wouldn't let me because 300 (the rough estimate at the time of building it) was enough for a new driver's first car.

My fourth car was supposed to be a daily driver while my Tiburon stayed a show car, but I ended up modding it a bit, as well, and that was a 1998 Grand Prix GTP. I did a supercharger swap on it, though it was stock for stock since the original stock blower was having core problems. However, I did get a 3.6" pulley on the blower as compared to the 3.8" and had the bottom ported a bit. I also got some performance injectors (the size of them leaves me at the time of writing this). Nothing too major on that car, though because it was supposed to maintain a DD. I never got it dynoed, but it had some mean throttle response when I hit it.

My 2nd car was a 1999 Mercury Cougar which I did nothing to but slight external mods because it was my DD when I determined that driving an old muscle car around every day would be asking for it to get hurt. My 3rd car was my Tiburon, which you seem to know about. My 5th car is my 240SX.

Happy now? Have I proved myself to you people? In fact, I don't really care if I proved myself or not, because I don't care what you guys think. I don't care if you believe me or not, because you don't know me or the truth (if you so choose to not take my word of what I said about my cars as the truth). And now this thread has gone horribly off course. lol

#82 ·
I'm aware its back from the dead........but......In before the lock, and boy does it need locked.

My first car was a 1969 Mustang Fastback which I cloned into a Mach 1.

I'm with THaGr81, your taste in mods and "style" is hideous. It doesn't really surprise me that you "cloned" your first car to look like another, then proceed to list it as a performance mod that you did. LOL rice-boy. Who cares how many trophys you've won? No one! Who cares if some random kid asks you if that's your red car with the waste of money lambo doors on it? Nobody. Man, the money you WASTED turning that pile of junk hyundai into something more hideous is epic.

I don't have documentation of it because I don't need to show off numbers, I'm not that much of an attention hungry car enthusiast
Say what???? This coming from the douche who put lambo doors on his Hyundai...Yeah. That definitely adds to your street cred...asshat.

My fourth car was ... a 1998 Grand Prix GTP
No one cares.

My 2nd car was a 1999 Mercury Cougar
NIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Clown.

But, the best part is....after 2 years....you come back....and still defend yourself by reassuring us all that you sold that pile of shit Hyundai. Do us all a favor...

#46 ·
I restate my point... LOL @ your taste in your modifications. Keep things simple and make it fun. Why would you want to add ridiculous aero? To get street cred? It's not the late-1990's and early-2000's anymore. If your car is all that is getting you laid nowadays... Expect a long life ahead of you in the future. Good day.

#54 ·
You guys ever look at the history of "hot Rodding"...

Guys doing stuff on a serious budget for performance and looks...

The original poster of this thread is a classic example of every thing that is wrong with the "performance scene" today...

No DIY, no Homebrew... just go buy the latest/greatest "performance parts" and slap it on your car...

Hurry or your car won't look like every other car out there...

My wife said it best...

"Anyone can buy a good looking, performance minded car, very few people can build one..."

Words I live by...

#60 ·
Maybe you should spend less money at home depot for car parts and more on replacing your lights :D.

Don't bump anymore threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.