Nissan 240SX Forums banner

Trouble finding an sr?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DemonSlayer 
#1 ·
Had a 240 a while back, had to sell it for school. Now I have a good job making good money and want a 240 again! I found a virgin for sale for 2600, planning on buying, working it out with seller now. Oh, it's an s13, 89. I was looking for a black top and all the sites I see say 91-93 black top... Uh, wut? There was no black top in those years. Is it just the company not knowing wtf they are talking about? Found one for 1900, or should i just buy this one for 2400 that says its out of a 180sx, 94-98? Planning on doing a rebuild of it, top mounted turbo, redone head, etc.

Basic question, wtf is with these websites saying the black top is wrong years??

There is a blacktop for sale in my city for 3k, rebuilt with all forged internals, nothing done to head. I kinda wanna do the work myself. My dad was a mechanic and we been wrenching forever together and he has a second garage shop with a boat load of stuff, so we can do this stuff. But idk, being able to get my car and just wham bam it in is kinda tempting...

#2 ·
I would try to buy locally first if you can. There is blacktops in those year ranges, the companies are correct. S13 redtop and blacktop, then there is S14 notchtop (black valve cover and rear portion slants down). Be aware that wiring a S14 SR into a S13 is going to be different than wiring a S13 SR into a S13.

**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_SR20DET hate wiki but this should clear it up for ya

#6 ·
I would try to buy locally first if you can. There is blacktops in those year ranges, the companies are correct. S13 redtop and blacktop, then there is S14 notchtop (black valve cover and rear portion slants down). Be aware that wiring a S14 SR into a S13 is going to be different than wiring a S13 SR into a S13.

**Nissan SR20DET - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia hate wiki but this should clear it up for ya
91-93, s13 red top. 94-97, s13 black top. 94-99, s13 black top. I see these websites saying 91-93 black top... Which according to that wiki there wasn't a black top in those years, yet a bunch of import websites are saying that is the year of there blacktops.

Also, I am new to this whole thing. I don't know anyone in my area with 240s, everyone rides in eclipses and civics and a few wrx. Seriously, 95% eclipse. The only tuner I know does megasquirt on mustangs only. This will be my first time playing with a turbo motor. I have built and dragged v8s. I am looking at a full rebuild on an sr and probably going to do twin scroll 76. Just bought my car, gotta pick it up now. 91 100% bone stock hatch with no sun roof. Dudes dad has 3 more that are wrecked but said I can have anything off em before he wrecks them so I'm going to steal all the power option stuff and one has a LSD.

Albuquerque kinda sucks on the import scene :/

#3 ·
Yup, S13 SR's came in 2 colors.

Why not call a reputable importer like Zerolift and get one? Easy to get.

That said, don't forget no matter where you get it or how good it looks....it needs a rebuild. Junkyard motor from ___ is the same one the guy on craigslist started with. Expect the unexpected. Now go call ZL. ;)

#4 ·
Red-top in the early years (the years you listed) and black-top in the kouki 180sx. The motors are pretty much the same, with identical HP. I've seen early SRs that have painted valve covers, so be careful not to be tricked. I believe the black top S13 SRs have fins on the front of the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.