Nissan 240SX Forums banner

New S13 Vert owner

963 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  andler2008 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm chris from east of Cincinnati, oh. I picked up a nice-ish s13 from a guy in Cincinnati that has clearly done well. LS Swap s14. it was killer. So for $600, I brought home this beauty. A nasty rod knock that makes me want to cry a little.

My current plan is to pull the motor and trans together, and start a full rebuild on the motor. Now, as I've never done a turbo build before, I do want to do one with this build. I'm not looking for a ton of power, but close to 250 would be fine with me. I've seen all the posts on what it takes to get there, so i'm ready. I plan on putting new rods, possibly new pistons if money allows, and a full bearing rebuild on the bottom end. Then tons of maintenance pieces. such as timing chain and the timing chain guides, all gaskets, ARP on head, mains, and rods, basically get it to a beefed up stock motor so I can enjoy driving it for a while NA, then throw a simple minded turbo setup.

I really just want to get my feet wet with turbos, standalone fuel management, and things of that nature. so it's definitely a learning process.

Money isn't being spent right now due to satisfying my wife's need to go to Disney. she and my son will love it, but it's not until the end of September. So once the trip is paid off and I have enough walking around cash for Disney, then i'm going to start blowing money on this build immediately.

I still need some tools for the shop that I've never had to call my own such as engine stand, engine hoist and what not. So those will be purchased. especially since the jeep in the pic needs a new transmission, so a trans jack will be on that list too.

Sorry for the long winded post, but there it is. Pics will come shortly once I get authorized for it

See less See more
#2 ·
Also, if anyone is interested or can help with this, but my firewall has the holes drilled for the clutch master cylinder. even has the grommet in the large hole that the lever goes through. From what I understand, there were no manual S13 verts. So maybe a swap that was done, then put back to original? I have a hard time believing that, but you never know. Anyone have any ideas?

#3 ·
In a lot of cases the manufacturer will build a chassis to the same spec and plug off the unused holes to cut costs and save the time needed to separate manual and auto chassis in the assembly process. Nice choice with the vert, they are a getting harder to find every year.

#4 ·
Yeah I've heard of that happening before, just have never had first hand experience with it. It also made me question it because the little green box that is generally located on the interior portion of the firewall for the key lock was actually located in the engine bay by the brake booster. so there's that. but the i'm pretty excited about it. It's not my daily, so I figured a vert might be a fun little toy. My wife had a Chrysler sebring convertible way back when, terrible for daily driver in rain and snow, and I had to put a transmission in it. what a clusterf***. will never own another one for the remainder of my time on this earth. Chrysler that is lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.