Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cubandk84 is on a distinguished road
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
(Thread Starter)
Hi guys here new to the ca18det engine

I have a ca18det that hasn't been run in 2 years..was rebuilt by the other guy and never had the money to finish the car.. just bough it as a donor car.. should I put money on that motor or should I go just with a regular ka24de.. the ca18det has good compression and looks really good shape
. .. a few comments concerning this engine should either make me feel good about it..or just let it go.. thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-15-2016, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
menassy is on a distinguished road
Points: 5,871, Level: 49 Points: 5,871, Level: 49 Points: 5,871, Level: 49
Activity: 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
Not qualified to answer your question, but...

If you decide to go with another engine, I would be interested in the CA18DET. How much would you want for it?
post #3 of 8 Old 11-16-2016, 01:26 AM
240-kid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Scoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthy
Points: 2,147,743,262, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,743,262, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,743,262, Level: 100
The CA18 works. But parts are hard to come by and power isn't made as easily due to its small displacement. But if you looking to be different or to just try out the challenge go for it. There is some aftermarket support but you'll be looking over seas for parts.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-17-2016, 07:12 PM

Thanks, Scoot. I do appreciate your post. It seems to be made in my best interest.
However, I indeed want a smaller dispalcement. I don't just want to be different. Though my goals are different, my intent is not just to be different. I know it is not a popular mindset in the turbo community, but my goal is fuel efficiency. With the ca18det I think I can better the fuel efficiency of my ca20e, though it is not shabby itself. However, with a properly tuned small displacement turbo, water injection, and a few other modifications I think I can get well past the ca20e's potential, and even have a little more pep to the engine if needed even with the smaller displacement.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-17-2016, 10:23 PM
240-kid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Scoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthyScoot The posts made by this user are trust worthy
Points: 2,147,743,262, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,743,262, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,743,262, Level: 100
Oh wow. Not a common goal at all. But I see where you're coming from. Interested to see how this turns out.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-06-2016, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
collegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthy
Points: 429,507,897, Level: 100 Points: 429,507,897, Level: 100 Points: 429,507,897, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Fuel efficiency and all that comes from how you drive and your gearing.
We lose all the mpg in stop and go traffic. Having terrible gearing on the highway wont help either.

ka has a whole site that is now mostly dead due to the fact that most of the info you need to know is out there already.
Ka-t.org

Ca is gonna be heavily dependent on your researching skills because you will spend some time finding part numbers and stuff like that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

96. Gonna do it right this time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-13-2016, 11:54 AM

collegekid,
It is good that you have offered something to this discussion. Indeed there is research that must be done to do what I am setting out to do and the engine itself will require the research you mentioned.

But, otherwise, your thoughts on fuel effiency is not well researched. Surely you don't think the difference between a Jetta and a Vette in fuel effiency is only a matter of stop and go traffic and gearing or driving habits. There are many factors that affect the fuel effenciency of a car. Friction, both air (drag) and mechanical are some of such factors. Engine displacement and fuel presentatoin are some others. Even the height of the tire affects fuel effecinecy. These are just some of the factors that affect the effiency of an automobile.

I do not intend to call you out on this. The point is to shed some light on a subject that has been purposefully clouded by the powers that be. As a people, we have been duped. Even people who like to have cars with lots of power, surely would not mind having that power and still be able to go much longer on a gallon of gas. Yet, we continue to let such matters be dictated to us. How is it that we have advanced so much in technology in so many ways, yet fuel efficiency has not been affected positively? My 84 Nissan got 45 mpg on the road for more than 10 years. Now it gets closer to 38. However, my nephew has a hybrid car that can't match what my antique car once got and it barely does better than the antique car does now. Something is awry.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-13-2016, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
collegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthycollegekid The posts made by this user are trust worthy
Points: 429,507,897, Level: 100 Points: 429,507,897, Level: 100 Points: 429,507,897, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
I see that you are knowledgeable on the subject. I just finished taking a lot of relevant class like Computational Fluid Dynamics, Fluids, and Renewable Energy. Aerodynamics and Advanced Thermo is in the spring for me.

I know I didn't mention enough of the variables that go into fuel economy. Nonetheless, you seem well vested in increasing the efficiency of the CA18. I am very curious in what you do and how you approach this.

My mentioning of the fact of you having to research compatible parts is probably one of the big things you will have to do. Other things that come to mind are
-Designing your own Camshafts or finding a set that match your calculations.
-Engineering a lot of your own parts since the aftermarket support is very low compared to other engines.

Please keep us updated with how you approach everything and what you do.

96. Gonna do it right this time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement