Noob vent - Nissan 240SX Forums
Beginner’s Forum **240SX 101. NO FLAMING ALLOWED**

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
240waifu is on a distinguished road
Points: 24, Level: 1
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Noob vent

What's up guys. Hope everybody is doing well today.

It's that time of month again where I'm Googling and going on Craigslist in search of any potential 240s, s13 or s14. I turned 18 not too long ago and am a senior in high school. I'm about to go to college, Purdue for engineering. I've loved the car culture for quite a while, about 6 years back when I started watching Initial D in 6th grade lol. Then I got into the F&F franchise and just enjoyed cars even more. I live in Indianapolis (midwest sucks when it comes to the car scene) so it's hard for me to find people that are into more of JDM culture. All I've been doing for the past 6 years was watch Top Speed, Car Throttle, lurk through 240 pages on Facebook and I'm also in several closed groups like 240sx owners, s-chassis lovers, etc. I went to my first genuine car meet over in California about a week ago when I was visiting a friend. They said it wasn't much since they go to better ones like all the time (LA, SoCal life). It was freaking awesome. I saw cars I had only dreamed of seeing, cars I thought I'd never see in Indiana. Super clean 240s, an 86 GTS, MK2 + 3 + 4 supras, saw a really cute miata but mistook it for a freaking s2k and I kind of wanted to kill myself lol, Datsuns (saw one with such a clean SR20 swap), and so much more. It was all just so awesome.

I really want to get a 240 and do my own thing with it. I want to take all that research and dreaming I've been doing for the past 6 years and actually DO something with it. But, I'm the oldest of 3, about to go to college full time for engineering (we aren't even allowed to have cars our freshman year, plus you don't really need a car in Purdue). I mean yeah I guess I could take action after I graduate college but I'm afraid my love for cars will eventually be eaten away by real world problems like practicality.

I sincerely apologize if I wasted everybody's time with a pointless post, but I just wanted to vent and get my feelings out. I've been having a rough time lately (boy problems and senioritis kicking in). I just want a little guidance here. Thanks guys.
240waifu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 09:54 PM
 
Nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Southern Colorado
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
Nubs is on a distinguished road
Points: 99, Level: 1
Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Good job on becoming part of the car culture and all that!
Long story short, act on it while you can before life takes ahold and makes it harder on you. Buy a cheap running 240 and work on it slowly to what you want. Speaking of what you want, what do you want to do with a 240, and what chassis do you want?

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk
Nubs is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
240waifu is on a distinguished road
Points: 24, Level: 1
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Nubs. My goal is to hopefully not let my motivation die after college. I want to graduate with a stable job in California where the car scene is A1. As for my 240, I've had several lists going on about what I'd do with it. I don't want to do anything major and be a part of Forumla D lol. I just want to be another person that shows up at a car meet with a super clean 240 and take in the pride of how much effort I put into it. Maybe I'll participate in drag races every now and then but I doubt it. So I guess I essentially just want to mod it to my fitting.

I've seen several 240s on Chicago Craigslist and nearby areas ranging from 2 grand to 4. I personally like the hatch and I've found a couple selling for $2000 (in decent condition), which has been uncommon lately. I prefer s13 over s14 because of the things I'd like to do with it (listed below).

Nissan 240SX S13 Coupe/Hatch (prefer hatch) $1500-4000
Blacktop/Redtop SR20DET $2500
Blitz Downpipe $310
Tomei Test Pipe $216
Blitz Nur Spec R $680
Apexi Intake $379.05
Blitz BOV $250
Silk Road Coilovers $1521
Pioneer Head Unit $100
Nismo GT Shift Knob $79.99
Cusco Spin Turn Knob $29.14
ATC Sprint Steering Wheel Flat Suede $230
Works Bell Boss Steering Hub Kit $80
Gram Lights 57DR 17x9 ET22 All Around $1307.20
Yokohama Advan AD08 $881.20
HKS Boost Controller $399.99
HKS Turbo Timer $110.00
Defi Racer Gauge (Boost, 52mm) $214.20
S14 Rear Hub $187.99
Attain 5 Lug Front Conversion $550.00
Project Kics R40 Locking Lug Nuts $205.25

This is theoretically what I want to do with my 240, but I will probably change my mind along the way. I hope to grow my knowledge more each and every day. I understand that there will always be someone smarter and more knowledged than me in the car scene, so I'm always open minded and all ears when it comes to that.
240waifu is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 12:23 AM
 
Nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Southern Colorado
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
Nubs is on a distinguished road
Points: 99, Level: 1
Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240waifu View Post
Thanks Nubs. My goal is to hopefully not let my motivation die after college. I want to graduate with a stable job in California where the car scene is A1. As for my 240, I've had several lists going on about what I'd do with it. I don't want to do anything major and be a part of Forumla D lol. I just want to be another person that shows up at a car meet with a super clean 240 and take in the pride of how much effort I put into it. Maybe I'll participate in drag races every now and then but I doubt it. So I guess I essentially just want to mod it to my fitting.

I've seen several 240s on Chicago Craigslist and nearby areas ranging from 2 grand to 4. I personally like the hatch and I've found a couple selling for $2000 (in decent condition), which has been uncommon lately. I prefer s13 over s14 because of the things I'd like to do with it (listed below).

Nissan 240SX S13 Coupe/Hatch (prefer hatch) $1500-4000
Blacktop/Redtop SR20DET $2500
Blitz Downpipe $310
Tomei Test Pipe $216
Blitz Nur Spec R $680
Apexi Intake $379.05
Blitz BOV $250
Silk Road Coilovers $1521
Pioneer Head Unit $100
Nismo GT Shift Knob $79.99
Cusco Spin Turn Knob $29.14
ATC Sprint Steering Wheel Flat Suede $230
Works Bell Boss Steering Hub Kit $80
Gram Lights 57DR 17x9 ET22 All Around $1307.20
Yokohama Advan AD08 $881.20
HKS Boost Controller $399.99
HKS Turbo Timer $110.00
Defi Racer Gauge (Boost, 52mm) $214.20
S14 Rear Hub $187.99
Attain 5 Lug Front Conversion $550.00
Project Kics R40 Locking Lug Nuts $205.25

This is theoretically what I want to do with my 240, but I will probably change my mind along the way. I hope to grow my knowledge more each and every day. I understand that there will always be someone smarter and more knowledged than me in the car scene, so I'm always open minded and all ears when it comes to that.
What Front end you going with? Pop-ups or a sil80? A clean 240 is always nice to see instead of all of em that are beat to shit. And I prefer the hatches too. But I'm getting a coupe for my drift build because of chassis flex in hatches. My dream hatch is a Midnight Purple s13.5 hatch with a built KA-T or RB
Nubs is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
240waifu is on a distinguished road
Points: 24, Level: 1
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
What Front end you going with? Pop-ups or a sil80? A clean 240 is always nice to see instead of all of em that are beat to shit. And I prefer the hatches too. But I'm getting a coupe for my drift build because of chassis flex in hatches. My dream hatch is a Midnight Purple s13.5 hatch with a built KA-T or RB
Gosh I really don't know. I love how cute the pop-up lights are on 240s but I also love the mean face a sileighty gives off. So I really can't give you an answer there

I'm with you on the lack of rigidity on hatches. I looked into turbocharging stock KAs and it just didn't ring to me. RBs are great engines but are kind of overrated (please don't get triggered lol) and too much work. It's like a stage 4 clutch, too much and necessary for daily-ing. So I decided upon an SR swap

Are you also "new" to hands-on car scene?
240waifu is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 10:28 AM
 
Nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Southern Colorado
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
Nubs is on a distinguished road
Points: 99, Level: 1
Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240waifu View Post
Gosh I really don't know. I love how cute the pop-up lights are on 240s but I also love the mean face a sileighty gives off. So I really can't give you an answer there

I'm with you on the lack of rigidity on hatches. I looked into turbocharging stock KAs and it just didn't ring to me. RBs are great engines but are kind of overrated (please don't get triggered lol) and too much work. It's like a stage 4 clutch, too much and necessary for daily-ing. So I decided upon an SR swap

Are you also "new" to hands-on car scene?
I'm 20 and my friend got my into cars when I was 16. I was the guy that liked cars but wasn't much into them. I've been into it ever since then and I'm picking up my first s chassis on Sunday. And I feel you on pop-ups, they're the shit. My coupe is keeping em.
Nubs is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
240waifu is on a distinguished road
Points: 24, Level: 1
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
I'm 20 and my friend got my into cars when I was 16. I was the guy that liked cars but wasn't much into them. I've been into it ever since then and I'm picking up my first s chassis on Sunday. And I feel you on pop-ups, they're the shit. My coupe is keeping em.
I meant unecessary when I said necessary*

And that's awesome! Can you specify your 240? I wish I could get a car dude but I don't know how that would work out with me living on campus. It would honestly just be a hastle on me, which I'm really sad to say.

Also, what's your plan going to be with the car? I'm all ears!
240waifu is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 01:55 PM
 
Nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Southern Colorado
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
Nubs is on a distinguished road
Points: 99, Level: 1
Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240waifu View Post
I meant unecessary when I said necessary*

And that's awesome! Can you specify your 240? I wish I could get a car dude but I don't know how that would work out with me living on campus. It would honestly just be a hastle on me, which I'm really sad to say.

Also, what's your plan going to be with the car? I'm all ears!
Picking up an s13 coupe Sunday. Gonna be caging it and building a KA-T for a drift Build. Mostly a back burner project as I'm moving in June and my second baby is due late May. Hopefully drift ready by 2018 season. I want it to some day be 2 tone black and white, pignose front, widebody.

Like I said before, with living on campus just buy a running driving 240 and daily it. Slowly buy parts for it and make it your own.
Nubs is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 03:55 PM
 
w0nderbr3ad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Zombieland
Posts: 1,795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Rep Power: 42554783
w0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthy
Points: 425,551,886, Level: 100
Points: 425,551,886, Level: 100 Points: 425,551,886, Level: 100 Points: 425,551,886, Level: 100
Activity: 75%
Activity: 75% Activity: 75% Activity: 75%
Blitz Downpipe $310 - Don't need to spend that much on a downpipe. Most greddy/apexi downpipes are in the $100-$150 new.
Tomei Test Pipe $216 - Don't waste money on a brand name test pipe, its just a hollow pipe. Just be aware of the ebay test pipes. The thin flanged ones are shit.
Blitz Nur Spec R $680 - Can probably find one used on zilvia if you lurk long enough and won't have to pay that much.
Apexi Intake $379.05 - I scored my apexi sr20 intake from a facebook group for $60. Just gotta wait for one to pop up now and then. Sometimes I see them for $100-$125.

Nismo GT Shift Knob - I can sell you mine, since I changed it. lmk
Cusco Spin Turn Knob $29.14 - Just get a PBM, $10


As far as advice goes, do what you want. If you want to pursue engineering, there is a plethora of jobs available in CA. Forget boy problems, they will come and go at your age. Focus on shit you want to do, there's no better time to do it than when you start your 20's. When your 20s end, adulting takes priority and less time gets devoted to cars. It's something I wish I had done instead of worrying about chicken heads and other crap.

P.H.D member #64
1990 s13 fb
w0nderbr3ad is online now  
post #10 of 10 Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 PM
 
Nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Southern Colorado
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
Nubs is on a distinguished road
Points: 99, Level: 1
Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1 Points: 99, Level: 1
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
I agree^
When I was still in highschool I always had dream builds that cost over $100k for shit that just isn't needed or is overpriced just because of brand name.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk
Nubs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan 240SX Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vent gauges... s13withrb S13 240SX (89-94) 4 12-14-2008 11:05 PM
Windshield Vent dawhiz S14 240SX (95-98) 0 05-28-2004 11:23 PM
i have to vent.... rottie21 Off Topic Chat 20 12-24-2003 01:10 AM
help: ac vent clogged i think aznS13 S13 240SX (89-94) 0 07-03-2003 07:36 PM
A/C vent removal nathan_k General Tech 5 04-07-2003 06:55 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome