Nissan 240SX Forums banner

90 Rebuild/Build Thread (picture intensive)

Fastback: 
72K views 1K replies 33 participants last post by  collegekid 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, this all started October 20th 2012 when I finally found a 240 in the mid-west that seemed like a pretty clean car. Rainy, didn’t feel like laying in mud and other crap to check every inch of it. Usual dings and scratches, nothing terrible. The rear hatch was in pretty rough shape, but no worries. It's a toy!

Here she is the day I brought her home.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Got her home and found this.

I was more pissed at myself for not seeing it beforehand. Excitement got the best of me after looking for a car for over 5 years. Traveling south to get a super clean car was not really an option. I am/was prepared to deal with rust, just never thought I’d see this.

#4 · (Edited)
After talking with a local forum member about everything he did with his 93, I figured it would be best to pull the interior to check for any more serious rust issues. I found some very… interesting, yet scary wiring for the radio.

Rats nest from hell, and found some fancy neon tubes that strobe to bass. HAH! Dumb…

Everything looks really good considering it’s a 22 year old car. Only problem spot is right below the seat mounts on the transmission tunnel.

There’s a lot of dirt in it, but no serious issues. Just some surface rust on the door sills.

#5 · (Edited)
Since the interior checked out, relatively ok, I figured it’s time to get to the engine and transmission. 2 piece driveshaft is ANNOYING. The bolts on the rear for the pinion suck! No ratchets, no impact, just wrenches. Carrier bearing zips right off with the cordless impact. Ready to pull them out!

Shifter was removed when we pulled it. Just trying to keep things organized, stuck it back on there.

You can see my rusty rail on the driver’s side, and where the tower split.

This is where she sits after last weekend.

#6 · (Edited)
This weekend will be dedicated to arranging all of the parts I pulled off her and cleaning the garage up! Next weekend will be dedicated to installing a 16’ work bench and a 7’ shelving unit in the garage. Updates to come after that!
Goal for next session: get EVERYTHING out of the engine bay so I can wire wheel it and fully assess the rust issue I have.

#12 ·
Picked this piggy up about an hour from home today. Runs and drives for $450. Rusty though. Parts car! No exhaust from the header back, so my neighbors probably hate me right now. Oh well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#17 ·
Update: She's still sitting there. Holidays and family are taking up most of my time. Hopefully this weekend I can get the bay cleaned out and get started on templates for the frame rail. It's getting to "real winter" temps now which makes it hard to want to go out in the garage, even with a heater.

I have been spending some time on FR Sport, building my purchase lists and deciding what to pick up in what order. I could spend WAY too much money at once on there.

#18 ·
this is lookin good. You have the right place to do it that's for sure.

I'd look for some local shops to get parts. frsport is good, all g with enjuku Racing but check locally first. a lot of times you can find things cheaper. I usually save $50-300 by buying from my local shop. they get a cheaper price and once they see you as a regular customer you get insane discounts than you would online

#19 ·
Thanks. The garage was a major factor in buying the house. I had to have at least a 2 stall. It's all insulated and finished so it holds heat pretty well. Planning on doing some work tonight, we'll see how well my heater keeps up with -6° temps.

Not many shops around here. Probably about 2 hours to anything like that near me. Ill do some checking though. I'd love cheaper-ish parts.

#21 ·
Contemplating cutting the front clip off and doing everything tube custom. This thing will never be sold so I'm not worried about liabilities by doing it. Also 90% sure it'll be a track car. We'll see what happens when I get the motor and transmission pulled from the parts car. It too is rusty like mine, but not broken. If the tower and aprons are nice enough to use I'll just cut them out and put them in mine. I have half of a plan, just trying to iron everything out in my head. Lol

#22 ·
You can do a few things

-tube frame front, you pretty much cut that part out anyway. Most people don't touch the frame though. It's like you have custom tubing from I. Front of both strut towers and you eliminate most of the radiator support. You can put in some tubs here too, for the most part track cars have this.

-just tub it. Another popular thing to do.

-replace the front clip from the parts car.
I mean you already have the parts car.
Just make sure that if you cut the frame part too and weld the one from the parts car that you make a little support bar that will slide into the frame on your car. That way, when you put on the parts car frame and apron, it will support the frame from where you cut and the parts car frame.

It's all just a matter of how much time you want to spend and what look you want.

First option is full race car brochacho

Second is almost stock looking but has functionality

Third is all OEM looking

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#23 ·
-tube frame front, you pretty much cut that part out anyway. Most people don't touch the frame though. It's like you have custom tubing from I. Front of both strut towers and you eliminate most of the radiator support. You can put in some tubs here too, for the most part track cars have this.
This is similar to what I want to do. Frame rails will stay in tact, just nothing else.
-just tub it. Another popular thing to do.
Yea, I've thought about this. Not a huge fan of that look.

-replace the front clip from the parts car.
Final option if I screw up the tube front. Lol

#24 ·
Not much for updates as of now. Just minor things. Getting the hatch from the parts car ready to go on. Cold weather and a cold garage floor are limiting me to a day or two a month. Much more progress when it gets warmer.

#25 ·

This put a dent in my plans for the car this weekend. I had just finished blowing this much snow off my driveway, and it started again. Another 2-4 tonight. Maybe next weekend...

#26 ·
That's MN for ya LOL

It barely snows here in Philadelphia, I laugh at the douches with snowblowers for when it snows 2 inches.

Since it looks like you are doing the tube front end, I'd recommend painting it immediately. The rust will literally just stroll right in.

This is a good link for some ideas

Tube Front ends! Post up different set-ups. - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

I thought about it, but it just wouldn't really flow with the rest of my car and I want Oem style. Good luck with it dude!

#28 ·
#27 ·
MN winters are a pain. It could be 40 one day, then -15 for 2 weeks then back up to the 20s. This winter has had more snow already than the last 2 together.

When I actually get it to the point of mock up and welding, everything will be shot with primer to combat the rust. This thing turned into a track/drift car pretty quickly. OEM isn't much of a concern anymore. I suspect the end of March there will be more progress. Warmer-ish weather and I'll be able to order the s13.4 fenders, s14 bumper, carbon hood, lights and corners.

In the meantime I have to get the motor and tranny out of my parts car. I'm pretty sure the tranny is sold, then I'll tear down the ka for a freshen-up. I need to unload a 4 bolt main 350. It's occupying real estate on my engine stand. If I get the ka done before the chassis, the new one will go in, if not, I know the other one that came out of my car runs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.