Nissan 240SX Forums banner

Pony's Journey to boomtown

13K views 167 replies 12 participants last post by  w0nderbr3ad 
#1 ·
Been here long enough and figured I'd start a build thread with everything I've done so far with photos as eye candy & cliffnotes.

When I bought my car, it was sometime between 2004 and 2006, I can't remember that far ahha. It had a missing radio with a rats nest for radio wiring. The backhalf of the stock seat broke on the way home 5 min after buying it, so I was pretty much sitting on a stool, but held on to the back half with one arm. Had mismatched body panels and paid way too much for it. Maybe a year or so later it looked like this.

Maybe a year after, I got a silvia front end as a present from my brother.

Maybe 2 years later, I threw on my 5lug setup, q45 brakes, and my 15x7 +0 Riken meshes. I was feeling like the biz for a while, then I was over it. :gc-free-sign-smiley

Years later I was fed up of not being able to see shit on the road so I retrofitted tsx projectors, denso ballasts, and 4300k d2s bulbs into my triple projectors.
I had the fresnel lenses cleared out, and water proofed the ballasts with some black water resistant material I got from HIDplanet years ago.

I was happy as hell and wondered how the hell I've been driving around with crap lights.

I had to alter the oem projector bracket for it and here's a reference photo for those who're curious. *I'll update this in the future since I'm switching to dual projectors and it'd be a good time to snap some shots*

More years have passed, I got older, graduated school and ended up going to another school, because degrees aren't worth a damn anymore. I bought my aero stuff that I wanted, version select II front bumper, some gp sports g4 side skirts (didn't feel like putting the door caps on), 180sx version select rear bumper.

Somewhere along this timeframe I installed an oil cooler with a greddy relocation kit and had to change a bunch of fittings to AN, bought a thermostat, -8 aeroquip starlite racing hose. and mounted it. Ran cooler than a jamaican bobsled team.

Then this happened...

Some animal along side the road was running alongside the car and decided it wanted to cross the street right in front of me. This pissed me off since my driver side door was already jacked up from someone hitting my car and dented the driverside door, ripped off the side mirror, and slightly dented the fender. WTF!? FLJSDFLJSL:DF :gaah:

Several days ago I dynoed this pos and was okay with its results. Despite having mods to actually get there.

See less See more
#2 ·
Day 1
So today I decided ...fuck it I have most of my parts, why not start putting it in since I don't have anything to do and no where to go.

Cut out a hole for the smic.

After mocking up all the piping...Found out it wasn't big enough so more cutting and filing tomorrow.

Here's the placement of my ka/sr hybrid manifold done by Alex Grower. Same guy who did matts13vert's original manifold on Zilvia.

I couldn't figure out how to bolt down the middle bolts. I know I could try to reach it from the bottom, but even then its difficult for me and there's no way in hell I'm going to get a torque wrench on them.

Mr. Problem awaits as I try to get the turbo elbow on there and it doesn't sit flush because it wants to rub skins with Ms. Tranny.

At this point I don't know whether to massage it to make it fit or just wait and get a cobra downpipe and not worry about it. From the looks of it, the flange is touching the transmission and not the actual piping itself. I couldn't tell since it was getting dark.

To end the day I was just putting stuff together to see how it'd go.

#3 ·
Tomorrow on the list of things to do:

-dremel the damn smic hole bigger.
-find a way to secure smic better ( I think one of the brackets are bent and isn't meeting the body)
-change out spark plugs and set the gap
-install enthalpy ecu
-mess around with the stupid elbow debating whether to hammer that shit in or grind shit off as necessary.
-cut -10 oil drain hose for proper length and install 45* -10 an fitting
-mock up water cooling lines if I have time.

My dumb ass was looking at the oil feed line and was saw that both ends are female. So I had to order a 1/8npt union. ugh...money.

#5 ·
That's pretty cool dude. Strange to see a motor plumbed like an SR with KA amenities all around... Bet it will make nice usable power with the higher compression & displacement & turbine to give it some kick... Subscribed.

Do they not make KA manifolds that are made for T25/T28?

#6 ·
Sure they make ka manifolds for t25/t28 but nothing that looks stock. I currently have another manifold sitting under my desk as a spare should things not work out with this one. But this one is a bit more low key especially driving in Nazi California.

#7 ·
Cut the coolant lines to length and installed banjo fittings, cut oil drain line to length but had to buy a 90* -10an fitting because the 45* wasn't working out. Trimmed the hole bigger for the smic and bolted it on firmly. Said fuck it and started grinding down the turbo elbow since no one has a pbm cobra downpipe for sale, and pbm won't have any instock for a while.

Felt pretty good with what I accomplished today.

#9 ·
I'm waiting on my oil feed union today. More work to do today after I drop my mom off at work.

But last friday I finished trimming the oil drain line and installed the fitting and the coolant lines (still a bit too long but still thinking about where I'm going to route them.

#14 ·
Is the turbo side of the line complete? How big does the hole look? 3/8 or 1/4?

If you go to a bigger fitting you may run into over oiling and require restriction. To much oil doesn't really hurt unless its obsessive, but the windage could slow spool time (not that it really would matter in this case). Just check the oil pressure under load after you plumb it. Ball Bearing like to see about 40-45 psi and journals can take more.

#15 ·
The hole looks more like a 1/4. That's if I can find an adapter 1/4npt to 3an. Or I could just tee off of my oil pressure sensor but its just a hard spot to reach compared to the relocation spot. Also looks like I'm gonna have to use my other manifold since there's like a 1/16 or 1/8" gap between runner 4 and the manifold flange. And somehow I lost my 5bolt turbo elbow gasket.

Not cool. Now I have to use my other manifold, which I'm more against using it compared to this one, but now I have to bend the brake lines and get some shielding for it.

#16 ·
Phenix Industries makes a -3AN to 1/4NPT adapter. Made in the USA and good quality. Call up P1 Performance for a local dealer. (877) 216-1091

Part number is B314-3

Just watch your oil pressure and check for oil in the charge pipes to make sure you don't need a restrictor.

Couldn't you plane the manifold? I'm sure a machine shop is capable of evening that out for pretty cheap. I've done it to my Megan stainless steel flange, but I don't know how cast iron would work.

#17 ·
Couldn't you plane the manifold? I'm sure a machine shop is capable of evening that out for pretty cheap. I've done it to my Megan stainless steel flange, but I don't know how cast iron would work.
You sir are correct . Any good machine shop could do that , but that would make the outlet flange that he is already having fitment issues with hitting the bellhousing worse .

#20 ·
Took out the manifold and dropped it off at the machine shop to get the flanges machined flat. While I was unbolting the turbo from the manifold, I was happy with how difficult it was to break the nuts loose with the nordlock washers on there. Highly recommend them because they're amazing. Also bought 1/4npt to 3an male/male adapter. Slowly but surely I will get there. My only concern now is turbo elbow clearance. BFG will take care of it since the thickness of the wall is wearing thin and I don't feel comfortable grinding more off than I have already.

#21 ·
Got the manifold back within a couple hours and they really did an awesome job getting it level. I thought it would be a problem to bolt back on since there was very little clearance to reach behind the manifold to tighten bolts down, but there was enough for me to get them on tight.

Here it is all spiffy and bolted up.

#22 ·
Got my oil feed line adapter for my relocation kit. It was 1/4 npt to 3an and now I'm golden.

I had to make the hole for my smic bigger because the coupler wouldn't fit through and had to create a hole for the recirculation hose. Hopefully all goes well during the weekend and get it started. Yeee..../excited face.

#23 ·
ECU is in, connected all the piping.

Tried to install my fuel pump and when I took off the rubber cap a white piece of plastic and spring flew out. Doesn't seem like a safe thing to put in, so I need to buy another one.

The recirculation pipe I planned to use is too long and won't work with my setup, so back to finding a shorter hose.

#27 ·
The two fittings for the rack are:
14mm x 1.5 to -6AN (Russell Performance 648070 Fitting)
16mm x1.5 to -6AN (Aeroquip FBM2608 Fitting)

I can't remember which one was for the high pressure side but I think it was the 14mm adapter.

For the actual Power steering pump I used Russell Performance 670531 Fitting -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male. Then I bought 2 high pressure 90* 6AN fittings, high pressure line, 3 90* 6an hose fittings.

#28 ·
Thanks man. This is very helpful.

I will be running the Sikky P/S kit for the LS1 so I only need the low pressure fitting.

What did you do about the return into the reservoir? Weld a -6AN bung so you could use a hose end? Or just slipped the hose over the barb?

Edit:

You mind sharing a picture and some spec on the cooler itself? Trying to decide which one to go with.

#29 ·
I just took an earls cooler and bought adapters for -6an hose fittings. As for the return I just used leftover -10AN hose I had and slipped it over the reservoir nipples. Really tight fit but I did a lot of persuading for it to work. I'll get some photos tomorrow. I'm just running a small cooler for PS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.