Nissan 240SX Forums banner

The Scratch Build

Coupe: 
8K views 92 replies 15 participants last post by  320MN240 
#1 · (Edited)
Well here it is!

The official beginning of another build. This chassis is clean compared to my hatch build. It's definitely not perfect, but in much better shape. There are many ideas being thrown around for this build. I have not settled on anything other than doing it right. Main rules consist of:

《♢》USE RULES FROM SANCTIONING BODY TO BUILD CAR!!《♢》
1- No Half-assing anything
2- Do it once, do it right
3- Good parts
4- Have fun
5- You're actually reading these?
6- Stop it!

There are some things I wish I had done differently on my previous build. I will be doing it different this time around. Anyway.... on with pictures and a little walk-around.

Those of you who have followed along with my hatch have already seen these pictures. Nothing new really, but the video will give you an idea of what i'm working with.

https://youtu.be/Pm58OVKVpy0

See less See more
#6 ·
Subbed. Since everything is out. Engine harness from scratch and strip out the existing body harness of unused wires, maybe your own junction fuse block/accessory fuse block. Excited for this.

How'd you get that on to the trailer, drag it? I know nothing about towing stuff.

#7 ·
4 of us lifted it, the chassis is only about 535lbs bare like this.

No wiring whatsoever in this thing. They barely left some bolts in it. I don't know jack about chassis wiring, so that will be a huge learning experience for me, but that's the plan.

#9 ·
I have acquired some tidbits for the car:

-trunk hinges
-door weather stripping
-trunk weather stripping
-coupe tail light inserts
-trunk wiring for tail lights
-some coupe specific trunk trim
-B pillar outside trim

Next couple items will hopefully be:

-good doors (already have crappy driver door for mock up)
-trunk lid
-A pillar trim that goes over top the doors
-tail light trim (between lights and bumper)

This is all relatively cheap stuff, except doors.

#10 ·
I did a thing...

...a good thing...

...i think. Hahah

I picked up this rusty hatch for a huge portion of the parts I'll need for the coupe. Suspension, steering column, pedal assemblies, e-brake stuffs, doors, door trim, diff, brake booster, tension rod brackets. If I had bought all this seperately, it would've cost much more.

#14 ·
So, I thought I had scored a trunk lid, tails, and tail garnish. Dude said he'd ship anything. When I text him he said he wouldn't because the prices of the parts were too low to waste the time.

F$&K YOU.... that is all.

Prices for example:
Wingless trunk lid $20
Tails and garnish $35

Yea, they're cheap as hell, so of course I want them. I'm willing to pay whatever the cost for shipping, but it's "not worth the time".

#15 ·
dont worry. had a bit of a problem getting my shell. the guy didnt want to drive an hour to meet me in the middle because it would cost the price of the car in gas. shell= $150. gas is not that expensive for a one hour drive. i dont know if his car only gets .5 miles per gallon but it just seems like a shitty move for a guy to say he can sell me his shell when i am the only one asking for it but he wont drive an hour to make a sale

#16 ·
Alright, minor update. I went to a scrap yard about 2 hours from home to get the trim that goes up the A pillar and over the door...

I ended up coming home with 2 manual window/manual mirror doors and the B pillar trim too. Paid $200 for all these items.

Excuse the messy garage. It's been a mess since the caddy.

Trim not pictured. No sense in assembling that just to take it all back off. Bolted the doors on with 2 bolts each just to keep them off the floor.

#29 ·
So, I was at Proving Grounds 2 this weekend. This made me REALLY want to finish this car right now. I have to "adult" for a while before I can really dig into it.

This progress is minor, but a step in the correct direction. Throughout the week I plan on getting more stuff off the parts car so I can get rid of it.

Pedal assemblies - piece of cake

Brake booster/master - pretty easy whith no dash or dash bar in it

Clutch master - easy

E-brake lever/lines - easy if I can get the lines to separate under the car

Tension rod brackets and mount hardware - The front bolts all broke off in the front of the core support, tension rod bolts are stuck so I can't get to the bolts above them... HUGE pita. The car is just rolling around with strut and lca holding the tires on(kinda wobbly)

Sway bar.... even though my plans require a new bigger/stiffer bar

I already sold the dash out of the parts car at PG2.

#30 ·
Some progress stripping the parts car.

Pedal assemblies - DONE

Brake booster/master - DONE

Clutch master - DONE

E-brake lever/lines - DONE

Tension rod brackets and mount hardware - NOT DONE... haha

Sway bar - yea... nope

I also removed some of the wiring for the brake light switch, neutral switch, and corner lights. Figured this would be helpful when I go to wire up the lights for "functionality"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.