Nissan 240SX Forums banner

noob that wants to do it right the first time

3K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  nissanfreak8 
#1 ·
So I have searched and read several how-to's on tuning. I've come to the conclusion that my brain can't wrap itself around that language lol so my question is, I have a kae that I want to build. First I wanna go na, I plan on doing forged internals, balance, head work and cam. I'm trying to keep it mild and not too crazy. After I get the motor running where I want it and all quirks out I want to boost it. I plan on getting rx7 injectors, z32 maf/pump, t25, wideband..now I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple things but I've hard of ppl boosting kae's on stock fuel components and ecu. My plans when boosting are 250whp+\- with reliability (hence a rebuild) I just want to know if I can not buy a tuning system and take my car carefully to the tuner here in town. I know I'll probably get criticism but I'm tired of not understandimg lol I'm just lost in the tuning world

#2 ·
No, you will need some sort of tuneable ecu whether stand alone, piggyback, or a Rom tune. I'm curious as to why after throwing good money at internals you would go cheap on what is going to make or break everything, quite literally.

#3 ·
i guess that's what i'm asking...which type to get. i have no experience whatsoever in this area. i liked the sound of nistune, basic lol i was originally just going to go with a safc but didn't want to be cheap with tuning it, hence my retarded thread that in time i might facepalm over later in time lol

#4 ·
Personally I like Nistune, but I've worked with megasquirt as well, both are excellent, but not your only options. If your nervous about not quite getting the tuning I would say not to do it yourself for the simple fact of the amount of damage you can do with just a few clicks. I would find a reputable shop and find out what they prefer to work with and possibly if they have any references that you could talk to about how satisfied that person was with services they had done. * takes breath*

#5 ·
i had nistune on my old SOHC setup. shit was all easy to figure out. but i still have a few things from my old sohc setup if your looking for parts.

Edit: now im confused. your second sentance says you want to go NA, but you have a t25 listed on your to buy parts. for 250 you will need to be turboed. NA you can get like right at 200 if you go balls out.

#7 ·
Nissanfreak8: I have found a tuner I'm my town. They have reviews on their site with guys with Corvettes, mustangs, Gto and all said they were very happy and would go back so I'll get over to them today and see what they say. Thank you!

Midnight:I want to get my shit back on the road...na is what I know so I'm going to make sure it runs good and healthy in na form then yes I want to boost it. Like I said I'm trying to do it right the first time (first FI motor) go na make sure it's running like it should be then boost it. I feel I'll have less headaches this way rather than a rebuild with turbo off the bat. If you feel I'm going about wrong please tell me why. Thank you for your input

#8 ·
Your doing it right. The only thing I can see is that your going to rebuild it one way to try and get it running then have to rebuild it again to make it turbo friendly. What I would do is get it running in totally stock form, and pick up a second good engine and tear that down and forge the hell out of it making it all good for turbo. Ya know, pistons, head work, rods, cam(s), and anything else you want.

#9 ·
Ok for NA honestly is easy to tune. Lean out the fuel mixtures and ever so slightly mess with timing where needed. The big cost is being retuned when you go turbo. And I mean it. Dyno time is NOT cheap. Buy injectors, maf, and nistune and mess with that. But buy big enough injectors for 250whp. I'm trying to think off the top of my head what a KA would need to get there but probably idk like at least 400cc? Someone with KA turning knowledge will help. An n60 maf if you want cheaper and will hold your 250 just fine or an n62 but it will be twice as much. And the nistune and NOTHING ELSE. Otherwise your just wasteing money. I still have my injectors, n60, and header from my old SOHC build because not a lot if people buy single cam stuff lol. So buy stuff that you can use for your turbo build later on. I know an exhaust, intake, and header are all enticing but you'll be stuck with those parts so think for the long run. The big cost will be tuning $$$ for the dyno

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
I was thinking of either 420cc/450cc. There's a chart somewhere I think on here that has interchangeable injectors and since the rx7 injectors are drop in I'll go that route. I'll look for the thread and post for reference for others later.

Nissanfreak8: since sohc are basically given away around where I live I might as well just grab another one lol

#13 ·
Man it's been a long time since I looked at it, I barely remember what I have. Its just a pieced together kit I got from a guy on here, he only had it at 8lbs and it was running richer than shit so I checked everything out and it was actually tuned for 12. Ran like a beast till the cheapo turbo fell apart. Honestly tho, I can't remember anything on it anymore, not to mention I've slowly been picking up more pieces for it and the vh45 swap in my coupe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.