Nissan 240SX Forums banner

300k+miles original owner car

Fastback: 
2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  collegekid 
#1 · (Edited)
So it's been awhile but I ended up selling the s13 I bought last year because I just really wasn't prepared to deal with all of the rust and also the fact that it was an auto-5speed swap unfinished. (wiring harness was a mess) while focusing on graduating college.

Now the time has come for me to get another project car as I graduate this fall.

My buddy has an 1 owner, basically no rust, all original 5 speed SE hatch that he will sell me for 2kish. He's selling it because he already has another s13 that he just got a rebuilt motor put in etc. He's deep in it and doesn't want to commit to another car. The car very clean compared to what I've been coming across the past year in my area.

Now the motor has 300k+ miles on it (odometer stopped at that point) runs decent he says but the clutch slips pretty bad.

Any thoughts on what I should do while I have the transmission out ? Should I go ahead and just rebuild it now or put a clutch in and see how it really pulls?

See less See more
#4 ·
300k miles is a shitload for a 240... It might be ok to just DD for a while but I would rebuild or swap if you plan on abusing it at all. If you have the money/resources to rebuild then I would tend to assume a swap is an option as well? Might be something to look into. What are your goals for the project? reliable DD? Drift car/auto x car? An enjoyable weekend driver? Really hard to offer advice without any idea of what you want out of the car, or how much you plan on putting into the car

#5 ·
Ah yes I guess I should have posted what I plan to do with the car. I'll go back and edit the OP.

I plan to build this into a daily drivable car that I can slide around with on the weekends. So I won't be stripping it or going too crazy. My goal is about 250whp. I really don't care if its a KA or an SR20. I guess I'm going to need to sit down and price out each to 250whp reliably.

As far as budget goes I'd like to keep the total cost of parts around 8k and that's for suspension, brakes, engine, and paint +a little interior stuff. I'll slowly be throwing stuff at it as soon as I can make the trip to pick it up.

I can do all the labor myself other than the paint.

I'm just really excited to get another S13 after almost a year of looking.

#6 ·
250whp you are going to need to rebuild or swap for sure. It is difficult but not imposible to make that much power on a N/A ka, so I would seriously consider a turbo or swap. My sr build cost about 6,000 and only makes about 200whp, but with another 1000 I'm sure I could make 250whp just to give you an idea of what it could cost. Thats without any suspension or other mods. I'm sure you could do it cheaper if needed, or more expencively if desired. In my opinion an sr20 is the most cost effective way to reliably make your power goals.

#7 ·
So lets say you do pay the $2000, everything below is what you should be able to acheive with about 8000. The total cost should be around $10,000

If that car is perfect everywhere else besides engine and trans ( I doubt it but assuming so)

Coilovers will be about 1000- struts and springs will be close to that
Let's give the rest of the suspension $1000 if you just plan on doing all new bushings everywhere, and you have some money to use for something serious like full LCA or something

Sr swap will cost like $2000 after shipping and sales tax ( for motorset)
Buying quality swap materials will be like 2-3000.

That puts you at around 6-7000.

I'm sure you could spend the remaining $1000 on stuff you will need to replace like, waterpump, thermostat, gaskets etc

I doubt you will hit 250whp but you should be atleast reliable and mildly fast.

Cheap, fast, reliable and you can only pick 2. Third item will be excluded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.