Popup projector headlights - Nissan 240SX Forums
General Tech For all General Questions about the 240SX.

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 02-25-2005, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
King 240 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Popup projector headlights

I was looking on Jspek.com forums and came across these. I was curious to know if anyone knew where to get these or something similar to them for the 89-94 popup headlights for the 240?
Here are pics, these are on a prelude, also they mentioned something about "retrofitting" I'm not sure of what that means.

If anyone knows please tell, I'm looking at a set of 6K HIDs and projectors would be a better housing to have. I thought I had found some clearcorners.com, but the tech guy informed me they weren't HID directed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-25-2005, 03:54 PM

RuskeR is on a distinguished road
Points: 16,046, Level: 81 Points: 16,046, Level: 81 Points: 16,046, Level: 81
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
The pic looks like he just modified (retrofitting) his headlight housing to put the projector inside.

As far as I know, to get HID projectors you need to get them off of a car that had HID's. There might be a company that makes them, but I have yet to run across any. Most people just buy the projectors from a Altima, BMW, S2000, Lexus, etc..

If you want to keep your popup lights, it's not going to be a simple plug and play install.

#3 Old 02-25-2005, 04:03 PM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, I figured that much,lol. I was just looking for something like that.
I'm also considering the East Bear non-pop up headlights that come with seperate bulb housings and going HIDs that route.
I had 6K HIDs for driving lights on my S14, and I kinda miss them.....alot,lol.
So I'm just trying to think about what i'm doing.
#4 Old 02-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Banned by Moderators

WhiteWarrenG is on a distinguished road
"retrofitting" is basically converting a reflector headlight to a projector headlight, that's all.

For your application there are several options you can do:

Bolt in HID Kit:
Basically pick up a pair of H4 conversion headlight assemblies so you can run H4 bulbs instead of sealed beams, I can get these, or you can them elsewhere.
I have available to me Europtix bolt-in HID kits that are bulb-specific. All you do is mount the ballast/wiring and pop the HID bulb into the H4 housing and you're done. I don't believe youll have high beams after this, but I doubt you'll care or need them anyways once it's done.

"retrofit"
A friend of mine just did this on his Zenki S14. He used E46 3-series projectors and drilled some holes and mounted them right to the reflector in his housing, make a little box to hold the ballasts, and did the wiring. He was done in a day and it turned out fucking great.

I'd suggest again picking up a set of the H4 conversion headlights because they're ABS, not metal and glass like OE ones, so they'll be easier to modify. You'll have to find a set of HID projectors that you'll like/that'll fit into you H4 housing behind the lens.
Remove the lens off the H4 housing secure the projector inside replace the lens.
The back of the housing will have to be modified to accomodate the HID ballasts, and you'll have to make sure that the wiring/ballast position and everything still allows the headlight assembly to flip up normally.

Good luck post pics when you're done.
#5 Old 02-25-2005, 07:26 PM

(Thread Starter)
I have the H4 housings already but the front is glass. I was actually gonna just go with the putting the blubs in and say screw hurting other peopls eyes
hahahah...........
#6 Old 02-25-2005, 09:57 PM

AmoCaedo is on a distinguished road
Points: 4,547, Level: 42 Points: 4,547, Level: 42 Points: 4,547, Level: 42
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement