Nissan 240SX Forums banner

Chevy 350 in a 240???

13K views 206 replies 44 participants last post by  hawaiian808z 
#1 ·
Hello my friends!
I know that this would be quite out of the ordinary but, I thought that if it coul dwork it would be great. My question is whether or not it would be possible to fit a chevy 350c.i. engine in a 240? Or even bigger would be better like a 454 or 409c.i. I was pretty sure that these engine would just be to big. I know that alot of guys will want to flame this thread because "domestics are crap" etc, etc. But I love how easy and cheap it is to make power with the chevy engines but, I love how sleek and sexy the 240's look. I am not necessarily trying to get in a magazine or win show awards. I just want to go fast as hell. I'm trying to break into the 10's or even high 9's. I know that with the "cheapness" of using a chevy engine and the lightness of the 240 it should not be to terribly hard. The biggest problem I can see is trying to get the dang engine in the bay.
P.S. When I say cheap I don't mean that it is hardly any money I just mean that it is usally cheaper and easier to make ponies with those engines then with the imported engines. The only reason I can find is that since these engines have been in America sine the 60's and 70's the aftermarket has had plenty of time to develop parts for them.

Just wanted to hear y'alls opinion. I do ask though that if all you are gonna say is "domestics are crap" and such and such. Please don't post I just wanted to know if anyone has done this or if it would even be possible.

Thanks as always!

See less See more
G
#27 ·
i can agree with that. you want a drag car, get yourself a foxbody. talk about cheap speed. but if you want great all-around performance, an ls1 powered 240sx (or even an LT1 240sx) would be a great thing to have.

#28 ·
Hey you guys! Thanks for all of the input. To answer some of your questions as to "Why the hell would you want to do that to a car that was meant for handeling. I want to do it to the 240 because I really like the way it looks. I mean I really like the way it looks. Where as I don't like the way most domestics look plus most are hella heavy. Plus I think any engine that can produce 890hp for about $3000 is A-OK with me! That is hella cheap for that kind of power and just think of how fast the 240 would go in the quarter. Again keep in mind that I don't want to go drifting or autocross. I just want to go in a straight line. As to the V8 silvia link posted it only has 230to the wheels. I also would imagine that all of that costed a heck of alotta of money. Much more than what was just proposed. Assuming that the curb weight is 2100lbs(gutted interior and lightened body) and 890hp it would go through the 1/4 in 8.4seconds. You can't argue with that speed!!! (1/4 mile time was found using http://www.web-cars.com/cgi-bin/accel2.pl and the 890hp for $3000 was by a wonderful book called How to Build Max Performance Chevy Small Blocks on a Budget! By David Vizard. Great book by the way!)
By the was as to the poll:
I vote #1 of course and I am only 16

#29 ·
wanna240now said:
Post wether or not you think that a v-8 in a honda is

1. ok, or even pretty damn cool.

2. that is the dumbest idea ever.
i thought we were talking about nissans tho?

im 20 and my vote is #1.

no i dont really like the idea of crossbreeding, and maybe its not the best idea but its def not the dumbest.

#31 ·
What the f does it matter what motor you put in a car? IMO it shows that someone is truley into being unique, and also into cars........just like myself and most everyone on this board.

ALso, do you work for nissan or something???Is a chevy/ford/buick/ whatever the hell motor in a 240 actually hurting anything?? NOT everyone on these boards is into the newest drifting fad......

not everyone even cares about the handling either.... I do, but i've also sat in sr20 240's where the driver never goes above 4.5k rpms.

bottom line.... to each his own. But really, why would anyone possible flame the idea of massive displacement, coolest sound, and lots of hard work going into a 240????

I bet that the peeps that flame "crossbreeding 240's" are the same people that flame hondas just cause they aren't drivning one at the moment. The funny thing is, most people got over "crossbreeding" humans a long time ago, but we are still arguing over "crossbreeding" cars!!!!

#32 ·
wanna240now said:
What the f does it matter what motor you put in a car? IMO it shows that someone is truley into being unique, and also into cars........just like myself and most everyone on this board.

ALso, do you work for nissan or something???Is a chevy/ford/buick/ whatever the hell motor in a 240 actually hurting anything?? NOT everyone on these boards is into the newest drifting fad......

not everyone even cares about the handling either.... I do, but i've also sat in sr20 240's where the driver never goes above 4.5k rpms.

bottom line.... to each his own. But really, why would anyone possible flame the idea of massive displacement, coolest sound, and lots of hard work going into a 240????

I bet that the peeps that flame "crossbreeding 240's" are the same people that flame hondas just cause they aren't drivning one at the moment. The funny thing is, most people got over "crossbreeding" humans a long time ago, but we are still arguing over "crossbreeding" cars!!!!
Thank you! You posted that very informative and politely critized them. Thank You and I agree whole heartedly!

found the prob. , it takes time to develop taste, he'll be alright in a few years.
That made me laugh so incredibly hard. I'm gonna laugh even more if you were serious!

#33 ·
wanna240now said:
Lets do a little SURVEY here......

Post wether or not you think that a v-8 in a Nissan is

1. ok, or even pretty damn cool.

2. that is the dumbest idea ever.

BUT.... POST YOUR AGE with your vote.

I bet everyone who votes number 2 is under 20......... Lets see.
1 and I'm 17. What does age have to do with anything? :12dunno

If this kid could pull it off, then props to him. I just don't like crossbreeding, because it's like saying that nissan engines aren't good enough so I'm going a different route.

Not to question your mechanical skills, but if you're only 16, how do you expect to do this?

G
#34 ·
ASIA said:

If this kid could pull it off, then props to him. I just don't like crossbreeding, because it's like saying that nissan engines aren't good enough so I'm going a different route.

Not to question your mechanical skills, but if you're only 16, how do you expect to do this?
for big power on the cheap, nissan engines AREN'T good enough. they're fine engines, sure. but there are better engines out there. nissan isn't 100% perfect on absolutely everything, if you own a 240 you should have learned that by now :D

#35 ·
#1 and 19. I am on my second 240. I have owned 2 domestics and 3 imports and have spent way too much time thinking about how to make a 240 go fast on a low amount of money and doing a V8 swap has been considered on more than one occassion. I am not a fan of crossbreeding if your own company makes an inexpensive, equally tunable engine, EX)putting a chevy 350 into a 32 Ford (that is unholy and wrong)with the possiblity of a 302,351W, 351C, etc..., but if there isnt a comparable motor as in the case listed above i am all for experimenting. More power to the people with open minds and arent bashing others for expressing there ideas. I am pretty sure i am going to get some flak for this but whatever thats what this 240 owner has to say. :thumbsup

#36 ·
ASIA said:

I'm not super expericenced with working on engines but luckily I have two really good friends that own a repair shop that said they would help. My grandpa is also a really old school hot rodder who said he would love to help! Just can't wait to get started. I'm going to pull about 40hrs a week during the summer. I'm also taking summer school courses so I'll be making money but won't have much time to work on it.

#37 ·
wanna240now said:
whatever the hell motor in a 240 actually hurting anything?? NOT everyone on these boards is into the newest drifting fad......

why would anyone possible flame the idea of massive displacement, coolest sound, ????

I bet that the peeps that flame "crossbreeding 240's" are the same people that flame hondas just cause they aren't drivning one at the moment.
1.the car itself doesnt like it :greddy:

2. its not just drifing, those engines are made for strait lines only, some of us actually use that round thing connecting to the steering column

3.massive displacement?coolest sound? thats a double negative. if its efi, if you carbuerate a car that comes with efi your downgrading the technology. how dumb is that. pushrods wtf. as max once said its pretty sad that it takes that many liters to create that amount of hp. when you can do it with less than half, thats how inefficient muscle car motors were. now if it was a modern chevy engine thats a diff story. they actually used decent engineers for their new engines

4.i own a honda also :thumbsup

i like all cars, buts its the same as crossbreading a ford and a chevy. its just wrong, and dumb. you dont do it. plus if you looking for a drag car you should start with a different platform than a 240, they have a good weight distrobution for a purpose.

#38 ·
Mtndrifter14 said:
found the prob. :greddy:, it takes time to develop taste, he'll be alright in a few years.
Dude, that is so funny. I love it, you really just brightened up a good 5 minutes of my life.

Mtndrifter14 said:
1.the car itself doesnt like it

2. its not just drifing, those engines are made for strait lines only, some of us actually use that round thing connecting to the steering column

3.massive displacement?coolest sound? thats a double negative. if its efi, if you carbuerate a car that comes with efi your downgrading the technology. how dumb is that. pushrods wtf. as max once said its pretty sad that it takes that many liters to create that amount of hp. when you can do it with less than half, thats how inefficient muscle car motors were. now if it was a modern chevy engine thats a diff story. they actually used decent engineers for their new engines

4.i own a honda also

i like all cars, buts its the same as crossbreading a ford and a chevy. its just wrong, and dumb. you dont do it. plus if you looking for a drag car you should start with a different platform than a 240, they have a good weight distrobution for a purpose.

Kick his ass Sea Bass.

No, really. If you want to dump a v-8 into a 240 do it and quit wasting my time with this debate. Remember this guy asked for opinions, I gave mine. If the guy is just in for the looks, buy a fiberglass body kit. and put an 8 into something that will handle it and perform well for drag racing. I mean really 890 hp in a 240 that is a fricken metal coffin. there will be so much chassis tuning and changing that it really wont be a 240 after everything is done. you best lengthen the wheel base, tub it, run wheelie bars and a parachute.

Late
-Jason

G
#39 ·
Mtndrifter14 said:
you're thinking of the cars these engines come out of. the engines themselves aren't made for straight-line performance. that doesn't make sense.

lt1 and ls1 are both EFI. do you even know what pushrods are? and what do you mean by massive displacement and coolest sound are a double negative? as for "that many liters to create that much hp".... a 2.0 is gonna be put under quite a bit of stress to create anything NEAR what a v8 can effortlessly grunt out. oh, and by the way, torque is important, too.

finally. why does everyone seem to be stuck on v8+240=drag car? AN LS1 WEIGHS LESS THAN THE KA24DE. an lt1 may be a different story, but i bet it's comparable to dropping in an rb25. only with over twice the displacement.

by the way, six speed ls1's get around 25mpg on the highway. regardless of how big thier internal volume is, they still don't suck down gas like you guys seem to think they do.

#40 ·
i'd say LS1, my friends Z28 is fucken badass. so i'd say the V-8 option is tight as hell.. im 21. Love the sound of a v-8. Does anyone know when the next NHRA top fuelers finals are? It should be in pamona.... ahh drinking beer with red necks make my day :)

#43 ·
The only reason that I think people think 240+v8=drag car is because that's what I said I wanted to do with my 240 earlier. In regards to the lt1 and ls1. I wasn't specifically thinking about using one of the f body engines. I was thinking more of using a 350 c.i. block and basically build it from the ground up. When I asked my grandpa about it he says, "More then about double the stock hp on the domestics is pretty risky" He advised me to build up the bottom end to where it is hella strong. I would really like to boost it via a turbo but, I am worried that a big a/r will make my times worse because I am waiting for the stupid thing to spool up. When I was reading a turbocharger book they mentioned that "layering" tc is a good way to cut lag. Basically it sounded like it was a twin turbo set up but instead of the two turbos being the same size and positioned away from each other you have a smaller turbo that is mounted on the inlet side of a bigger turbo. They said that since the smaller turbo will spool up quicker and is discharging its air into the bigger turbo that it will help reduce lag time dramatically. I have not heard of many people doing this. I have only found about 2 cars on the net that have it so, it must be rare which means that it is either really expensive or is not that effective. I guess that that is the one bad thing about turbo's is that stupid lag time.

G
#44 ·
agoura1 said:
or is it vice versa... sorry for being such a post whore
ls1>lt1. ls1='vette engine, aluminum block. also came in some z28's, SS's, and TransAm's. a friend of mine has an ls1 camaro that runs 12.4 all motor, and 11.2 on spray. he's put 650 dollars into the car, TOTAL, since he bought it (not including gas, oil, nitrous)

lt1=incredibly common EFI 350 V8, found in camaros, caprices, and a few other cars, including some c4 vettes. iron.

#45 ·
Well, using a smaller turbo to help spool up a bigger turbo is pretty common practice...lots of people do it. Lots of people also will use superchargers to do this since superchargers have no lag. And the LS1 came in all Z28s, SS's and Corvettes from 98 to like 02 or something. 93-97 was the era of the LT1. And like someone said before the LS1 actually weighs less than a KA24DE does....you wouldn't be upsetting the weight distrobution at all. I can't wait til someone does an LS1 240 for autox/drift purposes and shuts all you pansys up. "Crossbreeding" is bad...wha wha wha...seriously stfu. I'd rather spend 5000 for 400 whp than 8000.

G
#46 ·
Happyman said:
Well, using a smaller turbo to help spool up a bigger turbo is pretty common practice...lots of people do it. Lots of people also will use superchargers to do this since superchargers have no lag. And the LS1 came in all Z28s, SS's and Corvettes from 98 to like 02 or something. 93-97 was the era of the LT1. And like someone said before the LS1 actually weighs less than a KA24DE does....you wouldn't be upsetting the weight distrobution at all. I can't wait til someone does an LS1 240 for autox/drift purposes and shuts all you pansys up. "Crossbreeding" is bad...wha wha wha...seriously stfu. I'd rather spend 5000 for 400 whp than 8000.
werd. although the lt1 wasn't just 93-97... i'm guessing you're just talking about the 4thgen f-bodies.

#47 ·
Yea I'm not actually sure what all the lt1 came in but I know 93-97 it came in all Z28s, Formula Firebirds, and trans ams. Not sure about the corvette...I could have sworn they came with an LT4 or something.

G
#48 ·
Happyman said:
Yea I'm not actually sure what all the lt1 came in but I know 93-97 it came in all Z28s, Formula Firebirds, and trans ams. Not sure about the corvette...I could have sworn they came with an LT4 or something.
pretty confident in the late 80's they got an lt1. at any rate, there's a metric shit-ton of lt1's laying around, waiting to be bought for next to nothing.

#49 ·
Revolution240sx said:
you're thinking of the cars these engines come out of. the engines themselves aren't made for straight-line performance. that doesn't make sense.
umm, thats the only thing there good for, they cant rev for shit. oohhhh 6 grand stepping up hey? on road racing you need a good torque band.

Revolution240sx said:
do you even know what pushrods are?
yeah old school piece of shit rods,on rollers that are very unprecise in controlling the valvetrain compared to using overhead cams

Revolution240sx said:
i bet it's comparable to dropping in an rb25.
nope, not even close. he is talking about being on the cheapo with this build, therefore he will not rebuild this engine. rb's can actually rev.

so basically i am done with this arguement. your sticking up for the stupidist cause i have ever heard. i like muscle cars, but please keep that kind of technology in that era. and as for efi, i am not talking about throttle body injection, thats just as bad as a fucking carb.

these engines are out of date for the most part. and if the japanese didnt have the 280ps limit and created a v8, i can gaurantee it would womp the crap out of an ls1 or lt1. its just that japanese automotive engineering was so much better when these cars were created, there manufacturing process also had us beat then. just now are the american engineers, working to their potential. i mean have you seen the new cadillacs that gm is producing, they're wonderful. competition, is good for the american moral :supercool

G
#50 ·
now, i hate to go into magazine racer mode. but if someone actually completed a 6speed LS1 swap into an s13, with a competent driver, there wouldn't be a single 240sx in north america capable of keeping up. think what you want about a v8, but it'd eat your soul.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.