Nissan 240SX Forums banner

Chevy 350 in a 240???

13K views 206 replies 44 participants last post by  hawaiian808z 
#1 ·
Hello my friends!
I know that this would be quite out of the ordinary but, I thought that if it coul dwork it would be great. My question is whether or not it would be possible to fit a chevy 350c.i. engine in a 240? Or even bigger would be better like a 454 or 409c.i. I was pretty sure that these engine would just be to big. I know that alot of guys will want to flame this thread because "domestics are crap" etc, etc. But I love how easy and cheap it is to make power with the chevy engines but, I love how sleek and sexy the 240's look. I am not necessarily trying to get in a magazine or win show awards. I just want to go fast as hell. I'm trying to break into the 10's or even high 9's. I know that with the "cheapness" of using a chevy engine and the lightness of the 240 it should not be to terribly hard. The biggest problem I can see is trying to get the dang engine in the bay.
P.S. When I say cheap I don't mean that it is hardly any money I just mean that it is usally cheaper and easier to make ponies with those engines then with the imported engines. The only reason I can find is that since these engines have been in America sine the 60's and 70's the aftermarket has had plenty of time to develop parts for them.

Just wanted to hear y'alls opinion. I do ask though that if all you are gonna say is "domestics are crap" and such and such. Please don't post I just wanted to know if anyone has done this or if it would even be possible.

Thanks as always!

See less See more
#53 ·
Revolution240sx said:
now, i hate to go into magazine racer mode. but if someone actually completed a 6speed LS1 swap into an s13, with a competent driver, there wouldn't be a single 240sx in north america capable of keeping up. think what you want about a v8, but it'd eat your soul.
wrong, hell even phat ka-t's 639whp s13 would smoke an ls1. gauranteed. not to mention there are sr's up there and rb's can get up to that hp like a piece of cake

#57 ·
flippincamaro said:
very nice what year is that? Did you change out the front end with something like the slyiania (SP) version
haha, i liked reading those guys' responses.

most of them like the idea though. funny how muscle heads dont mind putting a v8 into a ricemobile, but ricers hate the idea of a v8 in their car.

#58 · (Edited)
this thread has got me thinking alot about this. i think it has quickly moved ahead of the rb25 swap as the one id most rather do.

what are the price ranges on these engines?

:yummy :thumbsup :1bowdown

#59 ·
Around the same as an RB25...Or less, depending on what year and what it's out of...

Say what you want about the LSx's(only V8's I marginally know about, I used to have a 98 Z28), but they are badass motors. Reliable, awesome torque/power bands...And best of all...No turbo...You could if you wanted, but it would be easy ~10 sec territory in the 1320...Streetable, but I wouldn't want to daily drive a car with that awesome of a power/weight ratio...I'd rather have easy, reliable high 11's-low 12's...All motor baby.

ALSO- Decent gas mileage. Around 19-20 city and 25-29 highway...That's why it's better than one of the older L98's or LT1's...Plus the LT1's are dog shit reliability-wise...

#60 ·
Revolution240sx said:
lt1=incredibly common EFI 350 V8, found in camaros, caprices, and a few other cars, including some c4 vettes. iron.
does anyone know any sites that has good details on different engines? ive never looked into the idea of a v8, therefore i know nothing about them. im searching online now but i suck at that.

i found this one site that sells chevy engines, and it has a 96-98 corvette 350 listed at right around $1700. which engine would that be? (just to get a price idea...)

im worried about handling tho. when people are talking about weights of these engines, are they comparing them to a KA or an RB?

i might start doing my researching and saving and try to make this my project for summer '06.

#61 ·
i will slap you if you come to gateway with that.:)
and yes, they will affect your handling more than an RB swap. alot more of the weight is going to be over the front axles, that and they are just damn heavy. any body who say other wise can stfu. they are heay compared to CA, double the cylinders=double the pistons, rods, valves, manifolds.. you get the idea. im sure most of you already know my view on this topic from the last 3 or 4 discussions about this.

#62 ·
yeah, but ive pretty much eliminated a jdm swap from my agenda cause i dont want to put up with the bullshit vendors and having to find parts. plus, everyone and their brother has a sr20.

and im looking for weight numbers, until im proven other wise im not going to decide based on weight. id imagine they are alot heavier, and if they are i will scratch them off the list of possibilites, but i dont know.

ill probably eventually end up finding a old, cheap KA and building her up for turbo while its sitting in my basement or something. and i really dont care what other care about the swap cause i think it would be real pimp to have a vette powered 240.

but when it comes down to reality i struggle to pay utility and food bills, so saving up for an engine is doubtful, but if the price is right you never know.

#65 ·
217zenki said:
I hope u die if u put a ls1,lt1,or 5.0 wtf ever ...
thanks for wishing my death :greddy:

217zenki said:
If ya want a v8 swap a infinti m45 4.5l
yes, since its nissan it must be the worlds best engine ever!

217zenki said:
:smacked49 :nono :fireassau :moon :doublefuc :spitfight
your intelligence and maturity helped me more than youd imagine. i appreciate it. :thumbsup

#66 ·
217:easy their newbi, its not your car. i am more basied than you but nobody needs to die. people that are very against this (including me) need to understand that its not your car or your money. if for some odd reason they want somethin we dont, not our problem.

#69 ·
I'm not debating the swap at all...I actually think it might be kind of cool. Its just that whenever I think Chevy 350, I always think of some asshat in a Camaro/Silverado with his hat backwards showing off his badass flowmasters at a stoplight.
Seems like Mustang guys are a little cooler. Why not the dohc cobra motor?
Just my opinion.

Jack H
'92 z32

#71 ·
Well as far as the weight thing goes, I have been doing a litle research and from what I have found there is only like 20 lbs difference between a KA24DE and an all aluminum LS1 out of a 98-02 Camaro. Grant it that the weight would sit differently in your engine bay than a KA of SR but its not significantly more like an iron block LT1 would. After reading through that LS1 site and seeing what those guys are doing with their cars it seems possible. the tranny weights more but its not so much a problem.

Expressing your opinion is great but try and act like you arent some dumbass kid who just turned sixteen who thinks that their opinion is king. Even though he is on the other side of the argument, like xracer said it isnt your car and not your money and if this is what they want to do let them.

#73 ·
Xracer said:
warpig: just build up a turbo KA, lots of power and lots of tq.
yeah thats what ill most likely do. but i still think it would be sweet to have a v8 purr outta my car.

#74 ·
This is comming from a person who has built import engines and domestic:

I have an RB25 right now which I was planning to drag race. 1 year later I have realized the following problems:
If you throw a rod, your fucked, good luck finding a RB25 block
RB25 has a timing belt = weak
RB25 cams are damn expensive
RB25 valve springs are crap
RB25 has hydraulic lifter = can't revv the piss out of it
Solid lifter conversion kit is hella expensive.
You can't crack open the classifides and find parts for the RB, your going to have to buy new
Pushrod motors make more torque than DOHC

The shop I work at building hi performance cars. Most of the cars we build for drag racing are domestics, so I have background fyi...

I am building a 302 (Ford Smallblock) right now and possibly replacing my RB25 with it.
Got the 302 (carburated) for $50
Got EFI intake mani and plenum $20
Got EFI Dizzy FREE
Got PS pump $20
MM&FF Magazine turbo'ed a hi mileage stock 302 with only a stud girdle and a few minor suspension parts and ran a 10.3 @ 12psi.
If I throw a rod, I can get a new block from a classified for $20-$80
New Cam for 302 = $130
Lightweight harmonic balancer for RB25 ~ $250
Light weight harmonic balancer for 302 = $30

And the whole argument about "Disgracing" nissan by putting chevy motor in, get a hold of yourself. Not everyone is a JDM Drifter Yo!!1!!111 Drag racing is a favorite by many, and you will go a whole lot faster for your dollar with a domestic power plant.

#75 ·
Hey guys! Been out of it for a few days. Just checked all the posts. In regards to some of the questions about "where can I but one of these engines" from what I have researched if you are planning on making 5-600+ horsepower. Just build it from scratch. Get a block from a JY and then get it cleaned, honed, decked, over-bored and start from there. Now that I know that it is somewhat possible it has moved to the top of the priority list. I'll be working ALOT this summer so, hopefully by the end of summer I'll have enough saved up to buy and build it up. In regards to the chevy turbo vs. NA. This question is directed to the guys that have actually had either or both. Since, I am wanting a 9-10sec 1/4 car how hard would it be to do in a NA format? Or would it be cheaper to just run some 9.0:1 pistons and turbo it? I figure that most likely a supercharger is out of the question seeing as though it would be hard to fit in the bay.

#76 ·
Twin turbo STOCK internal LS1 would easily be 10 sec territory in a lightened S13 chassis.

BTW- 96-98 corvette motor doesn't really work...92(I think)-96 was LT1, and 97-04 was LS6(slightly tuned LS1, different intake mani and other little stuff, puts out about 350hp as opposed to LS1's 305-325). 05~ is LS2(400hp).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.