Nissan 240SX Forums banner

Chevy 350 in a 240???

13K views 206 replies 44 participants last post by  hawaiian808z 
#1 ·
Hello my friends!
I know that this would be quite out of the ordinary but, I thought that if it coul dwork it would be great. My question is whether or not it would be possible to fit a chevy 350c.i. engine in a 240? Or even bigger would be better like a 454 or 409c.i. I was pretty sure that these engine would just be to big. I know that alot of guys will want to flame this thread because "domestics are crap" etc, etc. But I love how easy and cheap it is to make power with the chevy engines but, I love how sleek and sexy the 240's look. I am not necessarily trying to get in a magazine or win show awards. I just want to go fast as hell. I'm trying to break into the 10's or even high 9's. I know that with the "cheapness" of using a chevy engine and the lightness of the 240 it should not be to terribly hard. The biggest problem I can see is trying to get the dang engine in the bay.
P.S. When I say cheap I don't mean that it is hardly any money I just mean that it is usally cheaper and easier to make ponies with those engines then with the imported engines. The only reason I can find is that since these engines have been in America sine the 60's and 70's the aftermarket has had plenty of time to develop parts for them.

Just wanted to hear y'alls opinion. I do ask though that if all you are gonna say is "domestics are crap" and such and such. Please don't post I just wanted to know if anyone has done this or if it would even be possible.

Thanks as always!

See less See more
#77 ·
Hey man that would be sweet, some of my friends are RX-7 guys, one has a built 1993 twin turbo, the other one has a turbo two, an the other friend of mine has an LT1 in his RX-7!. They are preparing to put a 350 in an old body style RX-7! That would be sweet man...Good Luck!

#78 ·
the chevy motors arent quite what was said above. the LT1 was available in i think the 92-96 vette among other things (camaro, Impalla, etc..) but the LS1 was in the 98-02 F-body platform (camaro and Firebird) as well as the 97 to 04 base vette. Its the same motor with slightly different computer tuning I believe resulting in about a 25hp difference. The LS6 was only avaliable in the ZO6 model corvette until last year when Cadillac put it into the CTS-V. If I am wrong in anyway feel free to correct me.

#79 ·
Rearwheelsonly said:
the chevy motors arent quite what was said above. the LT1 was available in i think the 92-96 vette among other things (camaro, Impalla, etc..) but the LS1 was in the 98-02 F-body platform (camaro and Firebird) as well as the 97 to 04 base vette. Its the same motor with slightly different computer tuning I believe resulting in about a 25hp difference. The LS6 was only avaliable in the ZO6 model corvette until last year when Cadillac put it into the CTS-V. If I am wrong in anyway feel free to correct me.
i remember reading the part about the ls1 when i was doing research so i believe thats right.

#80 ·
Yeah, that's prolly right. Never was a Corvette guy, myself, so I probably got the LS6 thing wrong, and didn't feel like pointing out all of the cars the motors were in.

BTW- Whoever said that you thought Mustang guys were cooler than Camaro/Trans Am guys, I think we have a right to rev our motors, and be cocky. Mustangs are plentiful, but they are nothing(in any way)compared to the fourth generation(93-02) F-Body. Acceleration, handling, anything. Camaro>Mustang .Except for the 03-04 Cobras, which are friggin badass. And why not a Cobra motor you say? The supercharged ones are expensive as hell, and the rest are just pretty damn lame. The LSx is the answer. I'm just waiting until I can afford the latest iteration at a decent price(400hp LS2).

#81 ·
do what yuou want to your car, i dont even care anymore.

but as for sr's being only for drifting wtf are you talking about. the sr is a great all around motor that can be competitive in almost anything. they are great for autocross and track racing, because they are light, and rev very high, they are good for drifting, and i have seen sr's in the low 11's. now everyone is saying that sr's are gay, which is perfectly fine by me, because hopefully the prices on parts will go down again. and i am so happy that some people are starting to say that drifting is gay. i loved the stuff long before this whole phaze, and i am now glad this phaze is starting to finally blow over with the wana be enthusiasts

#86 ·
I think we have a right to rev our motors, and be cocky.
:nono
Sorry but most owners I see show their ass. Many times I've been at a stoplight minding my own business and the guy with his hat backwards, seat all the way back with one hand on the steering wheel, is power braking. 99% of the time its either a GM truck or f-body. Maybe its because I live in Houston? :12dunno

Jack H
'92 z32

#92 ·
you guys are so fucking immature...

"all those f-body guys" and those "hat backward chevy guys".

I'll take the innitiative to say F-you. You guys are judging people by their cars, and car's by their owners. You guys are just f'ing retarded. You guys prob. flame hondas and honda owners too. I'm sick of all this "if you don't have a nissas, with a nissan motor, just like i do, you are gay"".... SO F U C K all you guys. Sorry to fly off the handle like this. I usually keep calm and only informative, but i'm just fed up with stupid people.

I own a chevy 350. That must make me a backward had wearing, *******, doing burnouts at stoplights, who is gay.... Right? BTW- it is in a 56 chevy panel truck.(a pos, but still fun).

My friend had a 69 mustang with a 351 windsor BUILT. and now has a 77 chevy truck(OMG.... I said chevy truck...is that allowed???!!!) It is slammed, on bags, with a FULLY BUILT chevy 383 stroker motor. It will RAPE most of (99percent) the nissans on this web site. He NEVER revs on people, and usually wont even race someone who is reving on him.

flame me all you want.....but grow up.

btw mountaindrifter- this has nothing to do with you or anyone in particular, just at all the IDIOTS that judge people by their cars, and that judge a car's capabilities/coolness by the "stereotypical" drivers.

#94 ·
that was a nice mature response there wanna240. and i will start arguing right now:) rape 99% of the nissans on this board...here is my immature response...you ignorant fool. 99% of us, drag racing? sure none of us will deny that. but in any motorsport that involves things other than just pushing the throttel and holding the wheel straight, well i will just stop right there.

and stereotypes are a part of life, yea we all know they are bad, but get used to it, they arent going away.

oh yea, and modifying cars is often an expression of ones self, indication of their style/personality, so to judge (or first impressions) based on ones car is in no way wrong or fucked up in anyway.

#95 ·
your an idiot.

Fine. Give me a "Stereotype" of this person.

Classic chevy truck. 4by4 toyota 4runner. Fully custom honda accord, shaved everything, custom int/paint. and s14 with ALL susp. work done.

Now another.

Fully built mustang. Fully built chevy truck. Stripped/motor swapped/fully tuned suspension AE86. acura rsx type s.

Now give me your little impression of either one of those drivers.

Bottom line. The "ricer" , the "muscle-head hick" and the "dori-dori drifter" are all drivers of the same cars.

and you to call me ignorant... thats funny. listen to what your trying to argue.

and zcar- no offence taken, and it wasn't directed at you.. More at ALL the dumbasses on this board.

#97 ·
Xracer said:
99% of us, drag racing? sure none of us will deny that. but in any motorsport that involves things other than just pushing the throttle and holding the wheel straight, well i will just stop right there.
LSx's are mostly aluminum, they are light as hell, lighter than KA's, FD rotaries, etc...

An LSx in a 240 will not make it handle like shit, or even worse than stock. Just as well in the curves, with gobs of torque to pull you out of them and launch you down the straights.

The same goes for an FD.

Stereotyping makes you look like a dumbass.

#100 ·
Sharker524 said:
LSx's are mostly aluminum, they are light as hell, lighter than KA's, FD rotaries, etc...

An LSx in a 240 will not make it handle like shit, or even worse than stock. Just as well in the curves, with gobs of torque to pull you out of them and launch you down the straights.

The same goes for an FD.

Stereotyping makes you look like a dumbass.
i was refering to that specific car he was talking about, the 77 truck. you guys really need to watch how you read things. I didnt say im a stereotypical person, i said that stereotypes simply exist and will continue to be there, its just a part of life get used to dealing with them. not once did i make a stereotypical comment. prove to me than a LSx is lighter than 13B or an SR and i will belive it, show me numbers. please read carfully or YOU will look like a dumbass.

#101 ·
I don't know if this was said in the thread yet or not but I read on one of the LS1RX7 sites that a bunch of them went to a competition. Like 8 rx7s 4 had LS/LT1 swaps and the other 4 had rotaries. The 4 with LS/LT1 swaps STOMPED all over the rotaries on the road course and on the drag strip. For you idiots that think its a bad idea good stick with your CAs, KAs and SRs and watch as the others who aren't so ignorant swap in the LT1 and LS1 and kick your asses on the drift course, drag racing and auto xing. Sluts. If I had a daily driver, time, and money I'd put an LS1 into an RX7 since the swap kits are out there but I don't so I will be doing an SR in the 240. But once I get fund together look out for the White FD with 600 hp LS1 swap :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.