Nissan 240SX Forums banner

Chevy 350 in a 240???

13K views 206 replies 44 participants last post by  hawaiian808z 
#1 ·
Hello my friends!
I know that this would be quite out of the ordinary but, I thought that if it coul dwork it would be great. My question is whether or not it would be possible to fit a chevy 350c.i. engine in a 240? Or even bigger would be better like a 454 or 409c.i. I was pretty sure that these engine would just be to big. I know that alot of guys will want to flame this thread because "domestics are crap" etc, etc. But I love how easy and cheap it is to make power with the chevy engines but, I love how sleek and sexy the 240's look. I am not necessarily trying to get in a magazine or win show awards. I just want to go fast as hell. I'm trying to break into the 10's or even high 9's. I know that with the "cheapness" of using a chevy engine and the lightness of the 240 it should not be to terribly hard. The biggest problem I can see is trying to get the dang engine in the bay.
P.S. When I say cheap I don't mean that it is hardly any money I just mean that it is usally cheaper and easier to make ponies with those engines then with the imported engines. The only reason I can find is that since these engines have been in America sine the 60's and 70's the aftermarket has had plenty of time to develop parts for them.

Just wanted to hear y'alls opinion. I do ask though that if all you are gonna say is "domestics are crap" and such and such. Please don't post I just wanted to know if anyone has done this or if it would even be possible.

Thanks as always!

See less See more
#102 ·
I already stated that i am every biased on this subject but also stated i understand it not by car/money blah blah. So im an idiot for having a stong opinion? oh i guess im ignorant also. You show me where the LS powered FD's "STOMPED" all over the rotories. And prove to me an LS powered 240 will kick all our japanese powered 240sx asses in every form of motorsports. you do that and i will belive you, the rest of us will too.

#103 · (Edited)
here is some weight stuff i found from google, how accurate it is im not positive but its a start.

[ Engine weight engine weights engine weigh transmission weight transmission weights ]

Without transmisison(approx weight)
A12 87 kg 192 lbs
A14 93 kg 205 lbs
L18 118 kg 260 lbs
CA18ET 118 kg 260 lbs
QR25DE 121 kg 267 lbs
CA18DET 128 kg 282 lbs
SR20DE 139 kg 306 lbs
SR20DET 149 kg 328 lbs
FJ20ET 166 kg 366 lbs (205 hp)
KA24DE 167 kg 368 lbs (est)

With Transmission:
SR20DET 490 lbs (varafied by SCC)
RB25DET 667 lbs (280 hp) (SCC says 720lbs)
VG30DET 589 lbs
KA24DE 540lbs (varafied by SCC) yes KA's are heavy mofos.
KA24E 493lbs (varafied by SCC)
Ford Small Block V-8 487 lbs
Chevy Small Block V-8 575 lbs

i did read on a forum that the LS1 is lighter than a 13b, no numbers though.

#104 ·
Well, haven't read the whole thing.... Are you wanting to put a 350 as in Carbed 350??? blah... not my cup of tea, but hell it would be different and you'd have assloads of power. I personally would go with an LS1 and get me a nice t-56 to match. Though I'm partial to not crossbreeding especially if it's domestic and japanese. I wouldn't dream of putting a Chevy engine in my Ford, just like most Chevy guys wouldn't want a Ford in theirs.

All opinions though, but if it's crazed V8 power you're searching for (on a budget) then hell, a 350 is good!

Though the platform does seem a bit strange for 1/4 mile racing, u might wanna consider another platform. Just seems like u might be putting a bit more money into it than you think.

#105 ·
I'm not real big into all the autocross stuff and what not. Pretty much just want to "go in a straight line" which somepeople seem to think is extremely easy. Oh well that's just what I like.
Happyman is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this was said in the thread yet or not but I read on one of the LS1RX7 sites that a bunch of them went to a competition. Like 8 rx7s 4 had LS/LT1 swaps and the other 4 had rotaries. The 4 with LS/LT1 swaps STOMPED all over the rotaries on the road course and on the drag strip. For you idiots that think its a bad idea good stick with your CAs, KAs and SRs and watch as the others who aren't so ignorant swap in the LT1 and LS1 and kick your asses on the drift course, drag racing and auto xing. Sluts. If I had a daily driver, time, and money I'd put an LS1 into an RX7 since the swap kits are out there but I don't so I will be doing an SR in the 240. But once I get fund together look out for the White FD with 600 hp LS1 swap :p
I was thinking of this and was saying to myself why don't I just do this and let them critizise me and then race them and hand them their ass on a silver platter. Money on the deal would be nice too! :p Oh well after this summre when I have hopefully saved up enough money I will do it!
S14DreamN if the 350 wouldn't be the best for drag racing money to power what would your suggestion? Just wondering because I need power on a budget as most do. I don't want a bunch of decals all over my car because I got sponserships.

#106 ·
Ok. Here is my last question.

WHY do you guys think a rotary belongs in a rx7, and not a 350???

And why does an sr20 belong in a 240 and why does a 350 NOT????

Seriously. No flamming, just serious answers.

And "just because its wrong" or "crossbreeding is dumb". Give true answers. I'm really curious as to how someone can possibly think that way.
thanks.

#108 ·
If this conversion was a little more common and there was more information and parts I probably would have done it instead of the ka-t I'm doing now. I think I'm still going to be pretty happy with the ka-t from what I've read :dancingco

#109 ·
wanna240now said:
Ok. Here is my last question.

WHY do you guys think a rotary belongs in a rx7, and not a 350???

And why does an sr20 belong in a 240 and why does a 350 NOT????

Seriously. No flamming, just serious answers.

And "just because its wrong" or "crossbreeding is dumb". Give true answers. I'm really curious as to how someone can possibly think that way.
thanks.
read my posts from other threads on this topic, you will find a deeper answer, it still an opinion but it has reason.

#110 ·
i did read all the posts.

I didn't see any logical answers..I'm not flaming you.....but can you give any answers????

I can name a lot of reasons why it's not a bad idea, but not one reason why it's a bad idea.

1. Being different.
2. Tons of torque and hp right out of the box
3. Infinite upgrades, all easily available here in the usa.
4. (opinion, not fact) real cool sound, and a motor that is more fun to work on.

#111 · (Edited)
i said in different threads, not this one. its like people only take in half the words i type. but i can do a list like that too.

1. be original
2. lots of power to be had if you spent the same amount of money on a KA as you would a 350 swap. built turbo KA = monster
3.Still bunch of stuff you can do to get power, 500whp out of a built ka is no prob, lots of torque.
3. not fact, but opinion, turbo KA's sound mean.(i hate the sound of thoes V8's) and a motor that is easier to work on (space wise)

#113 ·
How do you figure same power for same money out of a ka???

No way on earth is that possible.

why???

Basic chevy 350(carbed..yes i said it) FULLY REBUILT, all new parts will put down 400(at least) hp EASILY for 2000.

How can you rebuild a ka and turbo it for that price??

Now, say you want to stay away from an iron block and carb. A lsX motor STILL is cheaper, and puts down more power than most turbo ka's.

the only drawback to the 350 is the work and time required.......

also, how is a turbo ka more diff. than a 350 in a 240??(ie:your number 1)

#114 ·
wanna240now said:

why???

Basic chevy 350(carbed..yes i said it) FULLY REBUILT, all new parts will put down 400(at least) hp EASILY for 2000.

Now, say you want to stay away from an iron block and carb. A lsX motor STILL is cheaper, and puts down more power than most turbo ka's.

WOW, you just said it yourself. Not everybody has the time or money to swap a v8 into their car. It is alot easier to swap a sr20 and get 200 plus at the wheels and have fun, than going all custom and having to fabricate shit. Yes a 350 will make more power, but its just not as practical as a sr. If you want to go fast in a straight line driving a 240 than a bigger motor is better, but 99% of 240 drivers just want to have a fun sports car.

#116 ·
wanna240now said:

why???

you are going to spend ALOT more than 2k of a 250 swap, i dont care what you say. just the engine is one thing. what about all the mounts, lines, custom piping, wiring would be interesting, drive shaft, blah blah. all that stuff will add up. Im sure others would back me up that you could have a built KA for about same price as a full 350 swap. and yes a built KA will put down 400hp no prob. "No way on earth is that possible." think again.

"also, how is a turbo ka more diff. than a 350 in a 240??(ie:your number 1)"
you seriously cant read. whats this? the 3rd time now youve messed up my words? I said ORIGINAL, should be in the dictionary under the O section.

#117 ·
Here's a link to a shop that does the LT1/LS1Rx7 conversions. http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/rx7.html

Scroll down to about 1/3 page and you'll see the part about the 9 RX7s here i'll just paste it.

And to the person saying it's gonna cost alot...it really doesnt. I think a kid on H-T said he totalled it out to about 6k not including the car. So if your doing an FC then it'll be around 7-7.5k for the whole project. I think the bolt in kits that sites sell cost around 2500-3000 and then the LS1 is gonna cost you about 3500-4000 for a long block

...Think the v-8 will forever ruin your handling? The August 2005 issue of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine will feature quite a few V-8 powered RX-7s that entered their $2005 Challenge event in Florida. The premise of the event is to build the best handling, best appearing, and quickest car possible for a total budget of $2005., including the price of the car and all components. You will be surprised at the wide variety of entrants and how creative they are. Check out the August issue for a feature on this year's challenge winner, a FORD POWERED 2nd gen RX-7!!! For a free copy of the magazine or to check out this year's $2005 challenge results, go to the Grassroots Motorsports website.
In the 2004 event, of a total of 76 cars that participated, a total of 9 RX-7s took part in the event, 5 V-8 powered and 4 rotary powered. In the drag race portion, all the V-8 RX-7s finished ahead of the rotary powered cars. No surprise here. The quickest V-8 RX-7 recorded a 12.636 ET, the quickest rotary's ET was a 14.323. What DID suprise a lot of sports car people is the results of the autocross competition. The quickest RX-7, a V-8, finished nearly 4 seconds ahead of the quickest rotary version. Among the 9 RX-7s present in the autocross, V-8 power captured 4 of the top 5 spots. Don't listen to those who tell you that a big V-8 will ruin your handling!!!
Daryl Evans's ZZ4 powered RX-7 solo car was last years local, regional and Canadian Western Champion in E Mod.

4 SECONDS AHEAD OF THE FASTEST ROTARY LOL 4 SECONDS IS ALOT

#119 ·
Ok buddy.

Put your knowledge where your mouth is. Show me, or do you even know of 20 ka-t's with over 400 hp.

400 hp is NOT easy. It is VERY doable, but NOT easy. So you can even do a search if you want. I bet you can't find 20 kat's on the ENTIRE INTERNET with over 400hp.

There are practically infinite 350's with over 400hp.

Now. I'm not saying a 350 doesn't have any drawbacks at all. I just think that the people flaming the idea of "crossbreading" are totaly retarded. I'm proving my point why it is NOT retarded, and i'm just curious to see if they can give any reasons why that swap should be flamed.

And what does original have to do with a sr20??

#121 ·
wanna240now said:
Ok buddy.

400 hp is NOT easy.

There are practically infinite 350's with over 400hp.

nd i'm just curious to see if they can give any reasons why that swap should be flamed.

And what does original have to do with a sr20??
1.yes it is, if you already have an sr in your car. i could achieve 400hp with 2k

2.they have no high end, and they cant rev for shit. sure you can beat me to 60mph, but after that your done.

3. 400hp is easy because its 400net hp and not whp, the numbers they gave for hp for 350's and other muscle car engines is total bullshit, they lose a ton of hp in the drivetrain.

4. the engine is only good for drag racing, i say this, because you need a good torque band for road racing/drifting. and pushrods and a shitty vavletrain cant handle high rpms like sr's can. you would have to rebuild the 350 to make it worth racing.

5. the engines are very inefficient and guzzle gas.

7. to turbo an ls1 is just dumb, the compression would cause the engine to detonate.

and there are so many 350's over 400hp because the engine has been around for 40 years, and they are so abundant.

thats for starters

#122 ·
thank you mtndrifter. and about the rotory thing, im on ur side remember. when i read that an LS1 is lighter than a 13B i belive it to be complete bs. ive seen them laid out on a bench, they they are small and light. i know they are lighter than and of thoes V8s. mazda even said the new renisis is like 90lbs lighter than the average aluminum V6.

and wannabe240... once again you managed to fuck up my words in your head. where in that post did i say anything about an sr?? i guess you really do need that dictionary.
look and READ very carfully what mtn siad. i guess the obvious needed to be stated to get our point across

and about than rx-7 BS, "the quickest rotary's ET was a 14.323" a stock fd could do that. and to say that was the quickest of the rotories should tell you somthing.

#123 ·
I didn't say anything about rotaries speed or weight.......

no.2 comment- Beat me to 60 and then your done... I just figured it out kid......You are flaming the v-8's because 1. you've never had one 2. you've never even ridden in a decent car w/ a v-8.

Lets just start out with easy things.... Have you ever raced a newer camaro ss??? If so, you wouldn't say "after 60 your done". Those cars will toy with MOST sr swapped 240's. I don't even mean they will hang with them. I mean they will SHIT ON AND TOY AROUND with MOST(not all, don't get my words confused) sr swapped 240s on the freeway.

EVEN a PUSHROD 350 is NOT slow on the freeway w/ the right gears. My budsy 77 truck i was telling you about can EASILY do 135 on the freeway, and get there a hell of a lot faster than you can.(the only reason it won't go faster is because that truck weighs way over 3000 pounds and is air bags....) Point being, that motor in a good handling car would EASILY hit 150 with a t6 tranny and decent gearing.

your No. 3 responce.-How are you telling me the numbers are bullshit??? they are measured at the crank, just like all other stock motors are..... Also, a new 6 speed chevy tranny looses no more power than our 5spd. trannies. ALL vehicles loose a lot of power in the drivetrain. So what???

Your no 4 answer- "the motor is only good for drag racing" BULLSHIT. Didn't you read what the guys above posted about the RX-7's using them on the course??!!

ALso- good torque band- they don't come much better than v-8's bud. TORQUE EVERYWHERE in the rev band. You DON"T NEED to rev to 10000rpm if you have all the power you can possibly handle at 4k or 5k. rpm. If your THAT concerned w/ revs/ rebuild the motor w/ shorter rods/longer crank through(like the 80's nascar and circle cars) and rev to 8k. rpms ALL DAY LONG.

your no. 5 anwser- very inefficient and guzzle gas- How good of gas mileage does a kat or even sr20 get at 400plus hp??? Bet you don't know. ALso, look up the specs for gas mileage on a camaro ss....I bet they are comparable numbers.

and for this quote"and there are so many 350's over 400hp because the engine has been around for 40 years, and they are so abundant".

Good point man. Even better reason to use one if you can.....THEY ARE ABUNDANT. The parts are abundant, the blocks are abundant, and the knowledge about them are abundant.....every engine builders dream.

and x-racer- why don't you just come out and say. "You said this, but i meant this" . You keep bringing up bs...why not just say what you mean to say instead of saying "you misread this word wrong" i said "original" not differtent. ....same shit.

#124 ·
wanna240now said:
I didn't say anything about rotaries speed or weight.......

no.2 comment- Beat me to 60 and then your done... I just figured it out kid......You are flaming the v-8's because 1. you've never had one 2. you've never even ridden in a decent car w/ a v-8.

Lets just start out with easy things.... Have you ever raced a newer camaro ss??? If so, you wouldn't say "after 60 your done". Those cars will toy with MOST sr swapped 240's. I don't even mean they will hang with them. I mean they will SHIT ON AND TOY AROUND with MOST(not all, don't get my words confused) sr swapped 240s on the freeway.

EVEN a PUSHROD 350 is NOT slow on the freeway w/ the right gears. My budsy 77 truck i was telling you about can EASILY do 135 on the freeway, and get there a hell of a lot faster than you can.(the only reason it won't go faster is because that truck weighs way over 3000 pounds and is air bags....) Point being, that motor in a good handling car would EASILY hit 150 with a t6 tranny and decent gearing.

your No. 3 responce.-How are you telling me the numbers are bullshit??? they are measured at the crank, just like all other stock motors are..... Also, a new 6 speed chevy tranny looses no more power than our 5spd. trannies. ALL vehicles loose a lot of power in the drivetrain. So what???

Your no 4 answer- "the motor is only good for drag racing" BULLSHIT. Didn't you read what the guys above posted about the RX-7's using them on the course??!!

ALso- good torque band- they don't come much better than v-8's bud. TORQUE EVERYWHERE in the rev band. You DON"T NEED to rev to 10000rpm if you have all the power you can possibly handle at 4k or 5k. rpm. If your THAT concerned w/ revs/ rebuild the motor w/ shorter rods/longer crank through(like the 80's nascar and circle cars) and rev to 8k. rpms ALL DAY LONG.

your no. 5 anwser- very inefficient and guzzle gas- How good of gas mileage does a kat or even sr20 get at 400plus hp??? Bet you don't know. ALso, look up the specs for gas mileage on a camaro ss....I bet they are comparable numbers.

and for this quote"and there are so many 350's over 400hp because the engine has been around for 40 years, and they are so abundant".

Good point man. Even better reason to use one if you can.....THEY ARE ABUNDANT. The parts are abundant, the blocks are abundant, and the knowledge about them are abundant.....every engine builders dream.

and x-racer- why don't you just come out and say. "You said this, but i meant this" . You keep bringing up bs...why not just say what you mean to say instead of saying "you misread this word wrong" i said "original" not differtent. ....same shit.

you are right... A ls1 will stomp on plenty of sr powered cars, and they do have one of the best big ends of any engine. If the argument is about a sr being able to beat a ls1 "dollar for dollar" than somebody needs to learn physics and actually know about the engine charisitics. There is no replacement for displacement. If the argument is about which one is more practical, than i would have to give that one to the sr. If i had one goal with my car and had a good sum of money and time then yes i would most definitly put a v8 in my car. My car runs deep into the 13's as is and i am more than happy with that, i am not trying to hit the tens with my car because there are more capable platforms then a 240sx. LS1 > SR

#125 ·
i totaly agree. the 350 is not the most practical swap out there.

I'm not even arguing that it is the best by any means....i am simply trying to put all the FLAMERS in their spot. I am simply wondering(and arguing against) how anyone can say 1. Crossbreeding is wrong 2. that is stupid or 3. that is the dumbest idea or 4. keep a nissan in a nissan etc. etc.

thats all. nothing more nothing less.

#126 ·
you dont know me so how the hell can you tell me what i have and havent drivin/rode in. drivin/supercharged cobra, rode in supercharged SS, rode in old school musle car with some big V8. so i suggest you shut the hell up and dont tell me what i have and havent done when you dont know who you are talking to. i am fully aware of the capability of thoes motors. Yet i choose to admire the japanese motors for my own reasons.

and about the TQ curve. deal. dont put up shit when you dont know wtf ur talking about. give me 5 min i will show you a turbo SR / KA / rb watever curve and i will show you a some NA V8 curve and put you in your spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.