Nissan 240SX Forums banner

Chevy 350 in a 240???

13K views 206 replies 44 participants last post by  hawaiian808z 
#1 ·
Hello my friends!
I know that this would be quite out of the ordinary but, I thought that if it coul dwork it would be great. My question is whether or not it would be possible to fit a chevy 350c.i. engine in a 240? Or even bigger would be better like a 454 or 409c.i. I was pretty sure that these engine would just be to big. I know that alot of guys will want to flame this thread because "domestics are crap" etc, etc. But I love how easy and cheap it is to make power with the chevy engines but, I love how sleek and sexy the 240's look. I am not necessarily trying to get in a magazine or win show awards. I just want to go fast as hell. I'm trying to break into the 10's or even high 9's. I know that with the "cheapness" of using a chevy engine and the lightness of the 240 it should not be to terribly hard. The biggest problem I can see is trying to get the dang engine in the bay.
P.S. When I say cheap I don't mean that it is hardly any money I just mean that it is usally cheaper and easier to make ponies with those engines then with the imported engines. The only reason I can find is that since these engines have been in America sine the 60's and 70's the aftermarket has had plenty of time to develop parts for them.

Just wanted to hear y'alls opinion. I do ask though that if all you are gonna say is "domestics are crap" and such and such. Please don't post I just wanted to know if anyone has done this or if it would even be possible.

Thanks as always!

See less See more
#128 ·
wanna240now said:
You are flaming the v-8's because 1. you've never had one 2. you've never even ridden in a decent car w/ a v-8.

you wouldn't say "after 60 your done". Those cars will toy with MOST sr swapped 240's. I don't even mean they will hang with them. I mean they will SHIT ON AND TOY AROUND with MOST(not all, don't get my words confused) sr swapped 240s on the freeway.

EVEN a PUSHROD 350 is NOT slow on the freeway w/ the right gears. Point being, t6 tranny and decent gearing.

your No. 3 responce.-How are you telling me the numbers are bullshit???

Your no 4 answer- "the motor is only good for drag racing" BULLSHIT.

ALso- good torque band- they don't come much better than v-8's bud. TORQUE EVERYWHERE in the rev band. 4k or 5k. rpm.

your no. 5 anwser- very inefficient and guzzle gas- How good of gas mileage does a kat or even sr20 get at 400plus hp??? Bet you don't know.

ok my friend has a supercharged cobra that will rape you, my neighbor has a 455 CID GTO.

i dont mind them, but then again were talking practicallity here

an sr swapped 240 with bolt ons will walk most camaros on the freeways(especially cause you guys are such good drivers that more than half have automatic trannies :greddy: )

you said right gears, again were talking practical hmm new tranny lets make some tranny mounts and a driveshaft to go with it. thats more money right there, ohhh then when i go to the auto x even i can put my other tranny in cause that one has the other gears that are good for road racing.

the numbers are bullshit. because thats all we get from people with these motors is crank hp.

yes the motor is for drag racing, those people dont know how to drive with the rx-7, see the thing is it takes skill to learn how to drive a rotary effectively. and again its just like an n/a ka rev above 5 and your done. unless you rebuild, ohh and dont forget that costs money.

umm so basically your saying that the engine cant rev, cause my f22 in my accord is good to 6g's :greddy: your torque band is useless on a road track with that low of rpm's

i have seen 350whp sr's get 26 mpg, see the thing you forget is that we have boost, if you stay out of boost you get good gas mileage

i dont hate the idea of doing this engine swap, i just think its dumb and unpratical, considering you could start with a car that already comes with this power plant for cheaper than to do this swap and pay for buying the 240

#131 ·
slow240 said:
WOW, it has over a 100 more lb/ft of torque at 3000 rpm. You see how much power it makes under the curve.
"horsepower wins shows, torque wins races"

when you road race you usually should stay above 4k. also that ls1 with 900hp is fully rebuilt and everything has been rebuilt on it. which is kinda dumb considering a 2jz can run over 1200hp with a stock crank

#132 · (Edited)
i bet that boosted LS1 gets like 10mpg. but nontheless 900whp at 12psi is nice, no doubt. but its just that displacment thing,double the size and then some of an SR motor. and oh yea, good luck trying to control a 900hp 240sx.
and revs give you the ability to stay in any gear longer, essential in road racing.

anyways, in my mind, its just dumb (yes the very comment wanna240 is ranting about). if you want a V8 get a american car. why do i say V8's dont belong in 240's and that kind of crossbreeding is dumb? it defeats the true purpose of a sports car like a 240sx. the 240 is meant, it was designed, its purpose, is to be a drivers car. drivers who will change their course of travel when they see that curvy road ahead sign. the key is balance. the idea is to have a car that has good power, but truly belongs on the twisties. thats what a 240sx is. you ruin this purpose when you go and put some big old school V8 in it. i have always admired the japanese motors and hated american stuff for one simple reason. technology. here, now in 2005, the 21st century, american manufactuers are STILL using the same damn stuff from like 40 years ago. big displacement, pushrod motors. sure they have made improvments on them, but their technology is obsolete. honda's ( yea honda big deal) biggest for the longest time wasn never more than 3.2L. if you look at the effeciancy of thoes motors, they are far more than thoes of the usual amarican stuff. lets take the F20C its rated at 240hp, thats 120hp/liter. now thats technology. if you argue when i said thoes american motor's technology is obsolete, dont speak and think to your self. why is that big 5.7L or whatever the hell displacment thoes things have not making 600+hp in NA form? technology. and my favorite, the rotory. the new renesis RX-8 motor is rated around 240hp i think. look at the effency of that. 240hp out of a puny friggin 1.3 engine that you could pick up with 2 hands. tell me thats not technology.

Again, on the topic of the purpose of a car. lets go back to thoes FD's. what is an RX-7? or RX-8 for that matter. it is the only car of its kind, designed around its rotory powerplant. the damn car is named rotory experimental 7. rotory is what sets the car from the rest. pound for pound, cc for cc. a rotory walks any LS motor. technology, effecincy. the rx cars also designed for drivers who like thoes conering G's. lightwight, quick, and nimble. that is the design, that is the purpose. when you want to ruin the design, the purpose, the car, that is what i dont like, and is what im so against.

so thats why i am the way i am. if you dont like it, i sure as hell dont care. of course this is all my opinion, reason in my mind. but lets not forget, its not my car, its not my money, its just watching somthing that i love, somthing that means a great deal to me, in my mind, the way i think, be ruined.

#133 ·
bottom line
the motor is significantly heavier than ka or sr trust me 100 lbs in the front end is a huge difference

they are extremely inefficient and have extremely old and outdated technology and engineering.

it takes double the cylinders to make same hp as a modified sr, ka or rb could make.''

and of course a car that has a 350 in it and is 2 seconds faster in the quarter mile will beat a cra on the track.

#134 ·
Mtndrifter14 said:
bottom line
the motor is significantly heavier than ka or sr trust me 100 lbs in the front end is a huge difference

they are extremely inefficient and have extremely old and outdated technology and engineering.

it takes double the cylinders to make same hp as a modified sr, ka or rb could make.''

and of course a car that has a 350 in it and is 2 seconds faster in the quarter mile will beat a cra on the track.
ok, put a turbo on that v8 and it would make twice the horsepower. What motor are you talking about thats so inefficient? Its all about personal opinion, if you want to go fast in a 1/4 mile get the motor that is most capable. A ls1 would have much better wieght distribution than a rb motor but you dont complain about those. Screw it and make everybody happy by putting a nissan v8 into your car. Its the best of both worlds

#135 ·
also i agree with max that its just dumb, your taking a light nimble car and putting in a motor that the car wasnt made for into it. the engine is old and just no good. i can guarantee an sr powered 240 car and a smallblock 240 with the same hp and all of the same mods with suspension. the sr powered 240 would win in drag race, road race and drifting. IMO it ruins the spirit of the car. if you do it, its like you created a bastard child that has 2 contradicting principles one(the engine) brute power and force) while the car itself was made to be quick nimble and with a good weight ratio.

start with a different base than an s chasis if you want a 350

#136 ·
slow240 said:
ok, put a turbo on that v8 and it would make twice the horsepower. What motor are you talking about thats so inefficient? Its all about personal opinion, if you want to go fast in a 1/4 mile get the motor that is most capable. A ls1 would have much better wieght distribution than a rb motor but you dont complain about those. Screw it and make everybody happy by putting a nissan v8 into your car. Its the best of both worlds

you would have to rebuild unless you ran like 3 psi.

i was talking about ls1

an ls1 240 would be good for drag, but not for track racing(someone just doesnt get that)
'
rb's just have that cool factor i guess you could say, plus they rev higher

a nissan v8 is kinda impractical but exceptable in my mind lol

#138 ·
you are quik to call names.

Look at those retarded ass dyno's you gave! You proved my point! The STOCK camaro had a GREAT torque curve. They don't get much better than that. and yes, torque does win races(even at the road course buddy) and the HP is what people like you bust a nut over, and magazines like to talk about.

You also showed one of the WORLDS FASTED ka-t cars with almost double the hp as the stock ss. Look at what slow240 posted. Anyone can show some outrageous dyno, but you and i both know that the phatkat is deff, out of the ordinary.... BTW- isn't the owner of that car that you posted the one with the sticker that has an x through the word "drifting". I am not 100 percent sure, but i think thats the car!!!!

So why don't you flame him??? he uses it for the 1/4 mile.....right???

To each his own....but you keep proving me right and rambling on about bullshit, and can't seem to post many legitemate answers/reason.

and about the weight thing. We have already gone over this hundreds of times. a lsX motor is NOT heavy. ALl alluminum buddy. How bout the rb motors????HMMMM. cast iron....yes strong and yes great motor and no i'm not flaming it.....but YES HEAVY.

#139 ·
slow240 said:
ummmmm the stock block record for a ls1 is 971 whp so i have no idea what your talking about.
how big are thoes motors again, whats the current stock block supra whp record? i can guarentee you is really damn close to that and with guess what!?!?! almost half the displacment, oh no, did i hurt ur feeligns? technology.

#140 ·
wanna240now said:
you are quik to call names.

Look at those retarded ass dyno's you gave! You proved my point! The STOCK camaro had a GREAT torque curve. They don't get much better than that. and yes, torque does win races(even at the road course buddy) and the HP is what people like you bust a nut over, and magazines like to talk about.

You also showed one of the WORLDS FASTED ka-t cars with almost double the hp as the stock ss. Look at what slow240 posted. Anyone can show some outrageous dyno, but you and i both know that the phatkat is deff, out of the ordinary.... BTW- isn't the owner of that car that you posted the one with the sticker that has an x through the word "drifting". I am not 100 percent sure, but i think thats the car!!!!

So why don't you flame him??? he uses it for the 1/4 mile.....right???

To each his own....but you keep proving me right and rambling on about bullshit, and can't seem to post many legitemate answers/reason.

and about the weight thing. We have already gone over this hundreds of times. a lsX motor is NOT heavy. ALl alluminum buddy. How bout the rb motors????HMMMM. cast iron....yes strong and yes great motor and no i'm not flaming it.....but YES HEAVY.
i used that friggin sheet for the sloe reason becuase i knew exactly where it was and didnt have to go searching for it. ANY of our tubo motors follow the same curve, the higher the revs, the more power and tq you are making. thoes V8's tq starts off high then just falls. that was my point.. And so what if he chooses to drag race it? or road race it? its still powered by its original motor. the desgin of the car is still there, its still a drivers car, just with 4 times the stock power. i never said drag racing was bad or wrong. if that thing had a decent suspension setup it would be a road race monster as well.i only used that graph do disply the power curves, hads nothing to do with the car itself. If i have reason behind my thinking, i belive its perfically legit.

#141 ·
Xracer said:
how big are thoes motors again, whats the current stock block supra whp record? i can guarentee you is really damn close to that and with guess what!?!?! almost half the displacment, oh no, did i hurt ur feeligns? technology.
Why would that hurt my feelings? It shows how ignorant you are. the stock block record for a supra 1017 @ 35+ lbs of boost and a little nitrous. the ls1 made that number with 22 lbs of boost no nitrous . Now just imagine what the ls1 would make running 35 lbs, and yes they can run that, i can get you some proof if you want. I dont want to argue about supras those are my favorite cars and i dont like admitting there are other cars out there better.

#142 · (Edited)
thanks for the numbers. and i was reffering to the effecncy and technology deal again. so a stock bottom end LS1 can take 35psi and nitrous? yea id like to see it.

edit: dont answer that, nobody is asking for a 1000hp 240 anyways. i see this isnt going anywhere. Some of us have our view and you guys have yours. thats it. im ready to suggest a lock.

#144 ·
sounds good to me.

BTW. ...a good debate never hurt anything. This is one of the longest threads in a while with FACTUAL info being posted every now and then.(i actually learned some new things about ls1's thanks to slow240)

to each his own, and more power to you if you have the patience/balls to do the swap.

#145 ·
wanna240now said:
sounds good to me.

BTW. ...a good debate never hurt anything. This is one of the longest threads in a while with FACTUAL info being posted every now and then.(i actually learned some new things about ls1's thanks to slow240)

to each his own, and more power to you if you have the patience/balls to do the swap.
I agree. I'm actually my schools top debater and really enjoy it but, I didn't have much time this week to post. After this summer when I have saved up enough to start building the 350 I'll start posting progress pics if that's o.k. Actually it's kinda funny becuase there is an engine tree in my bedroom and my mom is getting pretty pissed off about it. :) I'm still debating over making it a high horsepower car just N/A and then have some N2O tanks in the back to use at the track. I read that 500hp would be enough to make a 240 shoot down the track and make 10's. If I made about that N/A which isn't very hard from all of the stuff that I have read. (books, personal expierience, etc. etc.) and then squirt it I think that that would be a pretty good combo. I would still have a lot of HP for just street use but, then have some nitrous to use when needed ;) I can't wait to get started! I just love going fast but my accord only accelerates so fast. Now I just need a really fast car! :) But I think that everyone can agree with that.
Kinda of switching subjects here but, If I strip everything out of a 89' 240 hatchie meaning carpet, passenger seat, back seat, sound deading, speakers, and what not. How much will it most likely weigh? I've heard it qouted that sound deading and carpet alone in most cars will alleviate about 200lbs. Thanks you guys! And by the way even though it might have looked like a "flame fest" it still had a lot of really useful information.

#146 ·
Ok, finally read the whole thread for no reason. I don't usually post what I think on forums but here goes. Well my opinion is the same as Xracer and mtndrifter14. Here's my opinions on whats going on,

1) imports take less hp to go just as fast as a high hp muscle car, you can't say its easy to make 400hp in x motor, you need to talk about et time compared to hp.
2) talking to my friend that owns a z28 he said that the stock ls1 motor is rated at 305hp but he got 315hp on the dyno, talking to him before this he said when your making more power you have to get a new rear end, even for the camaro's, now if it cost $2000 to get a new rear end for an camaro imaging what the price would be for that same rear end for a 240.
3) Turbo charging a ls1 cost around $4000(the STS kit) and thats a "Decent" kit not the best or worst.
Lets see, you've so far spent a total of $6000 and you still havn't purchased the engine or even figured out how much it would cost to make everything work together like make a camaro rear end work on a 240 or how to make the driveshaft work or put a 6 speed in a 240 and all the other ish you need to do. So I really don't know how its cheaper.

Onto the other things, a ls1 240 would not drift better because its got more power, drifting requires a thing called skills and it wouldn't really matter if you had that extra power, I mean look at Ueo(the hachi driver in d1) his car has somewhere like 130hp and he is one of the best drivers imo.

The whole thing about the rotory rx-7's getting beat by the ls1 rx-7's, I would like to see the course lay out, cause it could have a lot of straigts where the ls1's go faster then the rx-7's. And don't stock fd's do like 13's? maybe I'm wrong.

And I would really like to see a ls1 240 try gripping and trying to keep up with my stock ka24e and all my suspension 240, theres just no way it could. I'm not saying that their a lot more heavier or anything but lets put it all together, when gripping your mostly in the higher revs, and put it together with a torquie(sp?) ls1 in a 240 going around turns=you sideways mid through or towards the end of the turn where as I can just fly threw them throttling giving it a little bit of throttle while going through the turns. But it also depends on what kind of turns we're talking about, when I say turns I mean hairpins not sweepers, with that kind of torque your body would just flex so much it would bend the car, and you would also geta lot of understeer going around turns, you would seriously have to drive that ls1 240 so damn carefully its not even funny. I'm not saying its not possible to have a good ls1 240 anything's possible, but put a stock suspension ls1 240 agianst my stock motor all suspension 240 and bucket seat my car would win(not saying me driving it would win, I'm just saying car to car comparising like the same driver drives both cars and gets timed). All of my opinions can be argued but I could care less, you do what you want and I'll do what I want, I seriously don't give a flying rats ass about dragging, to me its stupid, any jackass can spend lots of money on his car and sit there mash the pedal and hold the stearing wheel and go striaght for 10 seconds, not saying that it doesn't take any skill but it requires little skill that can be learned easily, where as in gripping or drifting its a long term skill that you learn and will always keep learning. And I know that the person that started this thead isn't going to do a ls1 swap he's doing a 350 but I know jack shit about that engine and people kept brining up ls1 and z28 so I decided to base all my opinions on that car/engine. And one more thing, how can most of you guys sit there and say that a chevy engine doesn't belong in a ford but then turn around and flame guys for saying that a muscle car engine doesn't belong in an import, its the same damn thing if you were to put a chevy engine in a ford or the other way around, you guys are hypocrites. All of the stuff I have said in my post is opinion, just like you have yours, I could care less if I get flamed or not for what I've posted but nothing you can say will make me want to put a muscle car engine in my car or even think that its a good idea cause I don't strive for power, this whole thing is just very opinionated the people that protect the ls1 being in the 240 a good thing like to drag the people that protect that its a bad thing like to grip and or drift so we build our cars the way that we see fit, the reason why you got so many people saying that its a bad thing is cause most 240 drivers don't care much for drag.

Ok I'm done sorry for it being so long, its late I'm tired, I'm probebly wrong on some of the stuff I've posted and probebly kept repeating myself and spelled a lot of things wrong but I don't care.

Oh and btw z28's are highway monsters don't let them fool you, they will eat a 240 alive on the highway, I don't know about a supra but it would be close. And since when has a 240 been good on the highway? their not top end cars.

#149 ·
that makes no sense at all... think of it like this, take a 3.0 liter 2jzge and compare it to a ls1, 220hp vs 350hp. It takes forced induction to make a 2jz 30 hp less than a na ls1. Put the same turbo on a ls1 and 2jz, where they both run the same boost. Which one will make more horsepower? Put forced induction on a v8 and boost for boost it will make more horsepower. Its called physics, go to college and study it, then maybe you can understand why a bigger motor will make more horsepower. All you guys like to do is compare fi to na, which is a little weetarded.

#150 ·
your not understanding the concept. we all know a 5L turbo is going to make more than a 3L turbo. the idea is that you make the same amount of power with a smaller engine, with boost. thats the idea, not which one can make more power, taking the smaller FI motor, and having it make the same hp as a larg displacment NA V8. like i said, boost, the replacement for dispacement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.