Nissan 240SX Forums banner

Chevy 350 in a 240???

13K views 206 replies 44 participants last post by  hawaiian808z 
#1 ·
Hello my friends!
I know that this would be quite out of the ordinary but, I thought that if it coul dwork it would be great. My question is whether or not it would be possible to fit a chevy 350c.i. engine in a 240? Or even bigger would be better like a 454 or 409c.i. I was pretty sure that these engine would just be to big. I know that alot of guys will want to flame this thread because "domestics are crap" etc, etc. But I love how easy and cheap it is to make power with the chevy engines but, I love how sleek and sexy the 240's look. I am not necessarily trying to get in a magazine or win show awards. I just want to go fast as hell. I'm trying to break into the 10's or even high 9's. I know that with the "cheapness" of using a chevy engine and the lightness of the 240 it should not be to terribly hard. The biggest problem I can see is trying to get the dang engine in the bay.
P.S. When I say cheap I don't mean that it is hardly any money I just mean that it is usally cheaper and easier to make ponies with those engines then with the imported engines. The only reason I can find is that since these engines have been in America sine the 60's and 70's the aftermarket has had plenty of time to develop parts for them.

Just wanted to hear y'alls opinion. I do ask though that if all you are gonna say is "domestics are crap" and such and such. Please don't post I just wanted to know if anyone has done this or if it would even be possible.

Thanks as always!

See less See more
#7 ·
drifts135 said:
Anything is possible. Yes it has been done before. Yes it is the stupidest idea ever.
I don't think it's stupid. Maybe for an older SBC but if put in an LT1 or even better the LS1 kind of like the RX-7 guys do....400 whp is just a few bolt ons away....and you're gonna spend less than an sr20+upgrades to make 400 whp or RB20 or RB25 or KA-T whatever. Don't say it's stupid just cause of you don't like domestics or whatever. I probably wouldn't do it because of the gas mileage but even still the LS1's these days get like 18 city and 28 highway. Plus you have the option of a stout 6 speed

#8 ·
If your going for strait line its not the stupidest. It would totally throw off the weight balance though and thats what makes 240s fun I think.

I have heard of a few people doing this. Tons of old Z cars have 350's in them now.

My dad is an old Camaro and Corvette enthusiast. He used to talk about getting a cheap 240sx and putting a 350 in it. I remember when I wanted to put an H22 Honda motor in everything. :gaylaugh

#15 ·
I'm not a big fan of crossbreeding. If you want a v8, stick with nissan. http://members.iinet.net.au/~dcollins/silfiniti/ A lot lighter, but still badass. If you want to do it for the bling factor, then it'd be cool. But if you just want to go fast, then just stick with the usually engine swaps. IDK man, if you willing to do the work, then more power to you.

#18 ·
why not put a v-8 in a gsxr 750? it isnt about hp and torque, it is about handling and cornering. Nissan designed the 240 with a 4 cylinder for a reason, to make a nimble sports car. I agree that the 240 is way underpowered, but a v-8 does not belong there.

You want to go fast in a straight line, put a v-8 in a geo or a kia. Take a shit car and make it fast, dont take a car with a purpose and ruin it. You can rock what you want. just my opinion and it was asked for. what ever death trap you wnat to build is up to you.

BTW, my 7.3L diesel swap into my 67 camaro is almost done. J/K

G
#22 ·
wanna240now said:
Lets do a little SURVEY here......

Post wether or not you think that a v-8 in a honda is

1. ok, or even pretty damn cool.

2. that is the dumbest idea ever.

BUT.... POST YOUR AGE with your vote.

I bet everyone who votes number 2 is under 20......... Lets see.
1, and 20.

however, that would DEFINITELY only be good for straight line. not something i'd mess with, although a rwd civic EF with an ls1 would be pretty sick.

G
#23 ·
SHIFT_JDM_240SX said:
why would you do that in a import car? if u want chevy go buy one!
because (provided you are capable of doing the fabrication yourself, or a kit is produced in the near future) a v8 would produce a lot more power for a lot less money, in a lightweight car with a great suspension. camaros aren't known for their handling characteristics. not to mention bonus points for uniqueness and that sweet high displacement exhause note :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.