Recharging the A/C in a 91 - Nissan 240SX Forums
KA24DE & KA24E KA Chat from being N/A to KA-T to KA-R's.

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-23-2006, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DJ420A is on a distinguished road
Points: 6,129, Level: 50 Points: 6,129, Level: 50 Points: 6,129, Level: 50
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
(Thread Starter)
Recharging the A/C in a 91

Hey guys, Im finally done rebuilding my wifes 91 and I have to get the A/C recharged for her before I put it on the road.

My dad n law asked if there is some sort of air filter that sits in one of the lines. Kind of like the Chevy A/C lines. I checked the Chiltons and it's not real clear on if there is one or not. If there is one, I'd like to replace it.

Besides putting a vacuum pump on it to suck out all the air, replace "O" rings where needed, is there anything else that needs done before I can start to recharge this bad boy?

Any facts or opinions are more than welcome

Thanks guys
DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2006, 03:24 PM

godzillafan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ420A
Hey guys, Im finally done rebuilding my wifes 91 and I have to get the A/C recharged for her before I put it on the road.

My dad n law asked if there is some sort of air filter that sits in one of the lines. Kind of like the Chevy A/C lines. I checked the Chiltons and it's not real clear on if there is one or not. If there is one, I'd like to replace it.

Besides putting a vacuum pump on it to suck out all the air, replace "O" rings where needed, is there anything else that needs done before I can start to recharge this bad boy?

Any facts or opinions are more than welcome

Thanks guys
DJ
1. why the hell are you using a chiltons

2. the filter is located in the dryer, next to the battery. easy replacement.

3. so you're charging r12?
#3 Old 07-23-2006, 04:09 PM

DJ420A is on a distinguished road
Points: 6,129, Level: 50 Points: 6,129, Level: 50 Points: 6,129, Level: 50
Activity: 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
(Thread Starter)
Actually, that was my next question. I thought I was gonna use R134., but maybe not now, lol.

The only thing I have for now for reference is a Chiltons or the net.
#4 Old 07-23-2006, 05:12 PM

AznXstazy is on a distinguished road
here in va, its like illegal to use r12 without license or something... u can convert it over to r134 easy. they sell kits like at autozone and stuff for it. just make sure u vacum it really good.
#5 Old 07-23-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznXstazy
here in va, its like illegal to use r12 without license or something... u can convert it over to r134 easy. they sell kits like at autozone and stuff for it. just make sure u vacum it really good.
don't do this, your system will fail in no time.

if you want r134, you will need to flush every componet individually, including removing dash taking out evaporator and flushing that. and new o-rings all around.
#6 Old 07-23-2006, 07:18 PM

gold_s14 is on a distinguished road
ok i work at a goodyear and this is the way we go about it in your case the car has to be retro fitted to r134 in doing this your are changing the ac fittings as they are different now once you open up the line you have to replace the condensor and reciever dryer and orrifice tube ... thats basically the fiter that resides in the line to clean all the particles on the ac , also on some cars and i not sure if there are any on the 240sx there is a cabin air filter most often they are under the dash on the pass side its a filter for the vents like a last chance filter they usually reccomend to change every 30 k . Your best bet is to take it to a shop and let them do a diagnostic at my shop we will do a diagnostic to check the entire ac and add die and tell you to come back and see us if the vehichle checks out we just take the diagnostic off and just do a revac and recharge .... make sure to check the system for leaks if you have one and you just retro fit the system and recharge its just a matter of time till you are once again blowing hot air and never really accomplished anything .
#7 Old 07-23-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold_s14
ok i work at a goodyear and this is the way we go about it in your case the car has to be retro fitted to r134 in doing this your are changing the ac fittings as they are different now once you open up the line you have to replace the condensor and reciever dryer and orrifice tube ... thats basically the fiter that resides in the line to clean all the particles on the ac , also on some cars and i not sure if there are any on the 240sx there is a cabin air filter most often they are under the dash on the pass side its a filter for the vents like a last chance filter they usually reccomend to change every 30 k . Your best bet is to take it to a shop and let them do a diagnostic at my shop we will do a diagnostic to check the entire ac and add die and tell you to come back and see us if the vehichle checks out we just take the diagnostic off and just do a revac and recharge .... make sure to check the system for leaks if you have one and you just retro fit the system and recharge its just a matter of time till you are once again blowing hot air and never really accomplished anything .
yes you do need to change the drier, you do NOT need to change the fittings!
also you do not need to change the condensor, just flush the hell out of it.

the car does not have an orifice tube either, it uses an expansion valve. dont need to change that either, just flush it.
checking the system for leaks is the PITA, I wish i had a leaktester
#8 Old 07-26-2006, 12:00 AM

dopeassjackson is on a distinguished road
the only years that i know that used R12 where 89-90. your compressor should say on it and you need to drain all the oil out and add the correct amount when recharging. also dont use the R134A with the sealant and all that magical crap in the refrigerant.

Tein S tech springs
stage 3 clutch (pro clutch)
ported head and secondaries removed
Z32 fuel filter
B&M short shifter
JGS motor mounts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement