Nissan 240SX Forums banner

550rwhp rb25det - my build

2M views 2K replies 141 participants last post by  Radianation 
#1 ·
The engine arrived on Wednesday as planned. Everything was very well packaged and it has some serious bling since it's all chrome. I am waiting on my Q45 Throttle Body, Turbo Manifold, and HKS SSQV before I can start putting everything together and dropping it in the car.

Here are some details on my car for those of you that haven't been keeping up on the other threads...

96 240SX SE - bought it new in 96!

Just pulled a broken RB20DET out of it and now I'm getting ready to drop in:
  • RB25DET (under 35k original miles) - Rebuilt with Wiseco Pistons and accessories.
  • Greddy 1.1mm Head gasket
  • Greddy intake manifold
  • Ported Headwork
  • Mckinney Engine Mounts
  • McKinney Driveshaft
  • ACT Six Puck Clutch set
  • Power Super V Belts
  • Power Enterprise timing belt
  • Koyo Radiator
  • Samco Radiator hoses
  • Dual flex-a-lite electric fans
  • Cusco Oil catch tank
  • HKS Wastegate w/dumpvalve
  • HKS SSQV BOV
  • GARRETT GT35R TURBO T4 FLANGE W/VBAND
  • Apexi Power FC w/Commander
  • DENSO 880CC INJECTERS
  • STAINLESS STEEL LINES & ALL BLUE TUBING LINES
  • HKS TURBO TIMER
  • Infiniti Q45 Throttle Body 90mm
  • SS Autochrome Turbo Manifold (temp.)
The vehicle already has:

• KYB GR-2 Dampers
  • Eibach Pro kit
  • Gram Lights (17x9 / 17x10)
  • Kumho Radials
  • Megan Racing turbo 4.5" exhaust
  • Custom 3" engine back exhaust piping
  • Megan Racing Front tension rods
  • Megan Racing Rear upper control arms
  • Megan Racing tension rod support bar
  • Ebay el-cheapo FMIC with custom piping
  • custom 1,750 watt rms stereo system with satellite radio =D
I'm probably going to start with around 400whp and tune my way up to 550whp so I don't wrap it around a tree my first week out on the road.

The Garret turbo is rated from 400hp - 600hp, so I think 550 is a reasonable goal given the engine has been rebuilt with forged pistons etc.

I was fortunate enough to buy a lot of this as a bundled deal from a guy on Ebay. I was about ready to rebuild my old RB20 when I saw an offer I couldn't pass up.

We plan on putting the engine in the car next weekend. I am going to take pictures and hopefully video tape the entire install, edit it down, and make a mini-documentary on how to do an RB25DET swap. I do a lot of video editing so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I'm currently looking into getting coilovers, a better FMIC, and possibly a Q45 rear end swap.

Oh, I have a 6pc 270R body kit that I'm debating on whether or not to install. I may just replace my damaged rear bumper with a factory model. The SE version of the car that I have came with some minor trim enhancements that aren't terrible. We'll see.

I'm excited about this build. It's literally my dream car.

See less See more
#4 ·
nice setup man, should be an easy task for a 2.5 and this combination of parts to hit 550. thumbs up for a killer RB.

Fyi, Nissan Q45 don't come with a 90mm throttle body but a 80mm, people make the mistake and take the outside intake part of the TB to measure from, while its really the butterfly diameter (inside) that stands for the size, which in this case 80mm, which is pretty damn big if ya ask me, when I compared mine to my stock 60mm RB's TB, it looked like it could eat it...lmao

#5 ·
I'll be running close to 500rwhp on my RB20 but ill still use factory rb throttle body. I don't think its really necessary to upgrade unless its over 600hp or so.

#6 ·
The specific reason I needed a different throttle body was because the Greddy intake manifold has a Q45 mount and the factory RB won't fit properly.

The turbo manifold arrived today and I think they sent me the wrong one. It looks like a T3 flange but I was told buy the seller that the GT35R I now own requires a T4 flange. This is contrary to what the Garret website says, so I need to get this manifold over to the shop and match them up to see what's up. Unfortunately, the shop was closed tonight when I went there to check on the motor so hopefully I can get in on Saturday and start doing an inventory on the parts that arrived, their condition, and what (if anything) I'm still missing.

The pictures of the SS Autochrome top mount turbo manifold are posted on my Flickr page. This was a $190 manifold that is basically a temporary fix until I can afford a fullrace model.

http://www.flickr.com/radianation

#7 ·
nice rad, glad to see you got everything going good now, just do yourself a favor and pull the head off of the block and take a look at everything, i would also pull the pan as well and just check torque settings on everything. Reassemble and then PLEASE do make sure to do a compression test because whoever did the pistons might not have installed and gapped the rings correctly and im sure you dont want another rb fiasco on your hands lol.

You got a good deal on the motor now just get it tuned nice and good and go have some fun. Its gonna be a beast man.

#8 ·
I guess it's worth taking apart to check even if I have to get new gasket sets, huh? The consequences could be devastating... I think I'd cry if I blew this sucker and hope that my wife felt enough pity that she would submit me to "Overhauling" or "Pimp My Ride" or something. LOL!

I put this off before and nearly forgot about it this time around. I just ordered my Walbro Fuel Pump and Nismo Fuel Pressure Regulator. I hope that's all I need. This is getting expensive! Assuming I don't get anything back from my RB20 fiasco, I'm about $12,000 into this car excluding what I paid for it new 11 years ago. =)

#9 ·
if your wife submits you to "pimp my ride" i think you should divorce her.

sounds good otherwise, looking forward to the build and final results.

#12 ·
congrats bro! that is close to the setup i'll have in the spring time...i'm just missing the GT35R and the top mount manifold. which manifold are you planning on getting later? I made 430 on 22lbs w/ a to4s and most of the same mods as above...i'm just bored alittle as well... get some pics up!

#18 ·
All of my wife's crap would fall out of the passenger door pocket every time I opened the door for her with those suckers. ; )

Should have some more pics this week. p.s. Just in case it wasn't clear, all of the things listed have been purchased and are ready to go. In other words, it's not a wish list.

#23 ·
We had rice at an Indian restaurant tonight as a matter of fact. ; )

After going trough the parts it looks like I will have a few extras that I don't need, including the RB25DET ECU and a spare harness.

I might be putting this intake manifold back on ebay to do a custom one. The wastegate doesn't bolt up properly (4 bolt wg and this has 2 bolt wg).

I also need some custom IC piping and perhaps a new IC.

#25 ·
I actually bought the turbo manifold separately.

The HKS SSQV and Q45 TB arrived today. That pic above is no joke. This sucker is HUGE. I need to get the TB cleaned up quite a bit or it will stick out like a sore thumb on my uber chromed engine.

I think I need to source a recirculating kit for this HKS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.