Nissan 240SX Forums banner

Best turbo for RB20

12K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  MATTs14 
#1 ·
I was just looking around for turbos and i wanted to know everyone elses opinion on what the best turbo for the rb20 was. Post turbo and what trim and size, opinions, how much power you gained, and experiences.

#2 ·
um, what power you trying to get and what kind of budget do you have.Also not to be a jerk but there are probly tons of threads about this.I personally think it depends on what you want.If you go with a big turbo you will have more lag but more potential for power, smaller turbo will do the opposite.nobody will be able to give you a good answer without knowing your goals.good luck

#23 ·
When you talk about trim, it is unit-less. If you do the calculation, you divide mm^2 by mm^2 or in^2 by in^2, so as long as you measure using the same units, the trim calculation will be the same in the end.

#10 ·
does anybody know when the t3/t4 57 trim will spool up. And by the way i have an Apexi filter, a nismo fpr, a 3 inch test pipe and 3 inch catback. I need all the specs before i go dropping a lot of money. What other supporting mods would i need to run this turbo and which brand is the best to buy?

#11 ·
good old garrett turbo will do fine as far as brand names go and i would suspect you'll see full boost around 3800 if you go for the .63a/r.
you'll need injectors and quite possibly a z32 maf as the stock stuff will max rather quickly.

#12 ·
ya know it really gets old seeing this thread pop up every month...will you please try to search? every thread i've seen you post since joining the forums has been a question like this that has been answered a million times over with little to no deviation in the response. i've posted this at least 5 times here now but here I go again...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Rb20-Turbo-Upgrade-Dyno-t103095.html

not to mention if you search that forum as well as here you'll have more threads than you even want to read about turbo upgrades on rb20's. you're welcome

#14 ·
Ive read that thread time and time and time again. All i do is search and besides i dont want power output to be shown in kw. Thats bullshit. I just wanted some help from you guys since this IS a 240 forum. NOT a skyline forum. There stats could be way different than on a 240 like quarter mile and stuff. I just wanted a little help. Anyways, Carl H, will i need a retune?

#15 ·
I wouldn't advise running a different turbo on stock tune. If you want the engine to be safe and make good power, I would highly advise looking into some kind of piggy back or rom tune at the least.

Rb20 injectors are tiny and from what i've read will max out (100% duty cycle) at around 12-13 psi on the stock turbo, I couldn't imagine another turbo at 20 psi or so.

I'm sure carl could work you something up for the typical maf/injector swap.

#16 ·
Your correct just don't use a piggy back. Not worth it. Invest in a stand alone if you have to. Or a rom tune like you said.

As for injectors. They are actually 259cc not 270cc like I thought they were.

#17 ·
ive got an afc neo that i was gonna use but i dont like the way it functions so i just use it as a tach. What kind of injectors should i run? And have we all basically decided that the t3/t4 57 trim is the way to go? how will i make it match up to my downpipe

#19 ·
OK im just gonna give you all the info you need since I plan on doing this setup soon.

This is will be the setup im using, I have alot of these parts already.

dsm 450cc injectors w/v6 accord resistor box
garrett t3/t4 57 trim w internal waste gate
3 inch turbo back exhaust
stage 3 xtd clutch
carl H rom tune
honda b&m afpr(works great)
walbro 190lph fuel pump
plx m300 wideband o2

Basically with all you WILL need a romtune reguardless, I would not use the afc to adjust fuel so atleast you on the right path with that. As for the downpipe, your going to have to fab up an exhaust elbow one way or another to reach your downpipe, and your also going to need to do some work to the hot pipe on your IC piping. I expect 320-350whp out of this daily on 91 pump gas, that and amount off boost is going to be decided on how well my hit or miss rom tune will work out. hopefully thats helps a bit.

Ryan

#20 ·
well ive already got the fpr, walbro 255, 3 inch exhaust, and im gonna go with nissan 555 injectors, and i had also planned on getting carl h to do a remap on my stock ecu. Here in tennessee we have 93 octane as our highest so hopefully i'll be able to make around 350 as well or a little higher. My ultimate goal is 400 hp. What would i have to do to make a dump pipe to reach the downpipe?

#26 ·
I would only use those manifolds for basic setups. you can reweld it and brace it to help out.

Or you could you use the stock manifold, look to see where the new turbo sits and have plenty of room for the downpipe. Then on the manifold where everything is clear, you can drill a hole and weld in a tube with the flange for the wastegate converting it to external

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.