Nissan 240SX Forums banner

StratXC's RB25-S14

5K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  stratxc 
#1 ·
Well, I bought this S14 as a project a while ago, I have posted a few pictures in the past. Here is my progress as of yet. I didn't have much time to do any of the work myself, because I have been busy with EOD School, finally graduated and I am now an EOD Tech for the Air Force =) I dropped the car off at my buddies shop and let him work on the car for me while I worked.

I bought it pretty cheap with the RB25 already installed, though whoever built the wiring harness did a really shitty job, so my buddy Justin Collins at QFab Motorsports (check him out, he does amazing work) fixed the harness for me. He also wired up the LSx coil pack conversion and built a bracket for it. One of the Fuel Injectors had a pinched and torn O-ring and was just dumping gas into cylinder 1 which is what was causing the car to run like shit.. good thing it didnt cause detrimental damage to the engine... this will be a really slow build as I am only an E3 and don't want to break the bank building this car. haha.

I recently ordered a new BOV, because the stock recirc was completely shot and was causing the car to run terrible.
Fuel pressure Regulator also ordered so I can better moniter Fuel Pressure.
It was still running the stock S14 Fuel Filter so I replaced that.
Will post more pictures as I get the parts installed.

I need to get the Walbro Fuel Pump sitting properly in the tank, because I think that is causing some of my fuel cut off issues and I need to get a wideband soon as well. like I said it will be a slow build.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thank you,
My plans for right now are honestly to just get her running properly, there are still some fuel issues I need to fix, along with an electrical issue somewhere, because right now a parasitic drain is eating my batteries... I will be posting pictures of the new goodies I got today soon, just haven't had the chance to take and upload yet. Will probably take pictures once I get the parts on the car.

In the end, I want to start drifting, this is my project car so it being down for a bit is no problem. Once I get more money, I will be buying a standalone system, all the gauges so I can monitor everything I need, power steering, and various other things I have not thought of yet.

#6 ·

Well, here are the goodies I received in the mail. I bought a new FPR, to combat the fuel issues I have been having. Everything was going great, I was almost done attaching all of the fuel lines until......

This happened.....

I ordered a new fuel rail adapter so now I have to wait for that to come in... I am being as patient as I can be.. While I was at it I also ordered a AEM UEGO Wideband, since I dont have one. Hopefully this stuff comes in soon so I can continue working on her..

#11 ·
I haven't been able to find a leak anywhere. I am going to check my fuel pump and all that soon. Here is kind of a list of all that needs to be done, this isn't only for your viewing pleasure, but more of a list for me to remember everything, haha...

• Find new IC piping to weld new bung for my Greddy BOV
  • Drill a hole and weld in the bung for the Wideband
  • pull out harnesses (except the engine harness) to remove wiring and relays and all that good stuff that I don't need..
  • While I am at it tuck and shave the bay, consolidate the fuze boxes into a central and more accessible location.
  • get P/S

I believe that is it for now..
Will update with progress and pictures =)

#13 ·
The harness they offer is something I already have taken care of. If you look at some of the pictures I have, is a before and after of what the harness used to look like compared to what it looks like now. I am talking about pulling all the unnecessary stuff out of the body harness, simplifying, installing a switch board, and tucking everything to make everything look pretty.

#14 ·
I guess here is an update.. turns out the previous owner cut a bunch of random plugs from behind the dash. So I legitimately need to build a new harness or find an entire factory harness. If I am building the harness myself I will relocate everything into the glovebox. Chassis Harness, fuse box, and all. I hope this won't be to much of a pain in my ass...

#15 ·
Alright, there is some good and bad news that happened recently with this build =(
Here is the bad, I found dryrot in my fuel tank causing it to leak, which in turn caused my fuel issues... I could have gone a few different routes with this, one being sourcing a new fuel tank or just upgrading to a Cell. The other, swapping the motor from this car into a completely different car. Which I have decided to do.

For the past few years I have had a 350Z shell sitting in my driveway collecting dust and sitting there like a very large yard ornament. So, as I was purchasing a larger turbo, I was able to source McKinney swap mounts to make this a possibility, they have never been used and were such a great deal that I couldn't pass it up! So here they are

I also purchased this fancyness, since I am rewiring the entire car anyways, why not have some fancy things to start the car and control all of the other goodies that will be in the car =) Also a master disconnect so I don't drain my battery.

I did say I got a turbo right? here is the GT3582R I purchased. In the picture it is sitting on a RB26, which I wish was mine, but the turbo will do for now =)

The 240 also has a nice set of Brembo's on which I am going to retrofit onto the 350Z.

I know this is a 240SX forum, but with the permission of Mods, I would like to continue this build thread here, if not I will post a link to the new place it will be. If you let me keep it here, I will need the title changed from S14 to Z33

#16 ·
Before you start ripping apart the S14

Here is an entire car partout where you can find all the wiring you need

TX ★ ★ 96 S14 Complete Partout - Everything Needs to Go ★ ★ - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

This guy has a $100 Gas tank

NY 1995 240sx S14 4lug Auto Sunroof Wingless PART OUT CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

I would browse around on the for sale ads on there. You can find everything you could possibly need within a few hours. Don't part out another s14/Junk it for some minor fixes.

I don't particularly love Zilvia.net , but their for sale section is awesome.

Marketplace - Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

#17 ·
I definitely appreciate this!!! I already have 99% of the swap parts for the Z, so I will still be putting the 25 in the Z. I would never junk the S14, if someone would offer me a good price for it I would sell it to someone, if not, then I will be going a different route. I will not disclose what I have in mind until I have started the build, because I have noticed if I tell people what I am doing it never ends up happening.. will keep everyone posted =)

#18 ·
Hey guys I've been looking at the RB25DET engine swap lately and I honestly don't really know all the things I would need, I found one for sale and it came with (Complete Head & Block, 5 Speed Transmission, ECU, MAF, Ignitor, CAS, Wiring Harness, Intake & Exhaust Manifold, Turbo, Injectors, Fuel Rail, Coil Packs, Power Steering Pump, Water Pump, AC Compressor, Alternator) so is that all i need for the swap or do I need more things?

#20 ·
Plans are ever changing. I never received the Mount kit nor the turbo I bought off of someone... That being said, I am not going to spend the money to attempt to get another mount kit. With that, I am continuing the build on the 240. pics to come soon. I picked up a HX35 turbo off a cummins, I will be slowly piecing together the parts I will be needing. for now I will get this turbo mounted and get the Intercooler piping taken care of. mount my BOV. small list of stuff I will be needing now in no particular order.

injectors
fuel pump
lots and lots of steel braided hose
driveshaft
wastegate
EMS
boost controller
custom fuel rail, (write-up to come soon)

All of this is to get the car running, hopefully reliably
in the future I will be rebuilding the motor, get a better manifold, better turbo, hopefully I can get her running in the near future

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.