manual to power window conversion? - Nissan 240SX Forums
S13 240SX (89-94) Technical Questions Specifically for ALL S13's. (Including 180SX's, 200SX's & Silvia's)

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 06-14-2003, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
w33z3r is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
manual to power window conversion?

i was just wondering if anyones done this? just asking cuz i dont like power windows just gets to be a pain in the ass, especially on hot days i was looking around and found http://www.autoloc.com/products/powerwindow.lasso anyone ever heard of this? and you think this would be a pretty easy install to do by myself or should i take it to someone? well thx to whoever responds.
-w33z3r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2003, 12:47 PM

nissanrcer240 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
just asking cuz i dont like power windows
i thought you wanted to convert to power windows??

91 240sx fastback
sr20det

Heres my car
#3 Old 06-14-2003, 04:10 PM

(Thread Starter)
errr im a retard thx for pointing that out sleepy ness will do that shit. nah im sick and tired of manual windows cuz it gets to be a pain in the ass bringing em up and down and reaching over to bring down the passenger one
#4 Old 07-01-2003, 06:59 PM

SP240 is on a distinguished road
I have the same question! I hate my manual window and locks... I thought maybe i could just buy the oem doors from a 240 with auto windows and locks, but haven't had luck finding those. If anyone knows a way to do this conversion or has done it, please let us know.

Thanx

- Steve -
#5 Old 07-01-2003, 09:28 PM

(Thread Starter)
well i know power locks are easy to install or to be installed by someone with greater knowledge than me, cuz you can get an alarm on an older car and they will put power locks on it. I'm gonna have my deck, front speaks (component set), rear speaks and an alarm installed in prob a week or so and they're gonna put power locks on. So i'll prob ask em how much it would cost or if they've heard of doing the power window conversion and how hard it would be. What else would you need if you just have the doors off another car? like where does the power window motor hook up to on a car that didnt come with power windows?
#6 Old 07-01-2003, 10:45 PM

Negreac is on a distinguished road
Points: 9,758, Level: 66 Points: 9,758, Level: 66 Points: 9,758, Level: 66
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
You basically need the doors off a car with power windows and locks(you need teh solenoids, motors, switches, etc.). While your at it you might as well do power mirrors too. There are two harnesses for each door that plug into the main dash harness, you need them both, un cut. You will also need a door lock timer unit which can be found behind the interior fuse panel. To do the power mirrors you will also need the power window switch. Beyond that I can't think of anything else. I'm pretty sure the main dash harness and fusebox are wired for the power options no matter what trim level you get so all you need are the sub looms, relays, and the actual mechanisms and buttons. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.
#7 Old 10-03-2003, 11:47 PM

AWD90DSM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negreac
I'm pretty sure the main dash harness and fusebox are wired for the power options no matter what trim level you get so all you need are the sub looms, relays, and the actual mechanisms and buttons. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.
can anyone verify this? im in the process of piecing everything together, and if this is true, all i need now to get it working is a door harness.

Mike
90 AWD DSM (sold )
90 S13 Hatch... in need of an SR
#8 Old 10-04-2003, 04:46 AM

mattyboy is on a distinguished road
I picked up a 90' 240sx with 373000km on it for $400 cdn. I bought it cause it has power windows/locks/mirrors on it and I thought I could just swap the doors on it with the doors on my 92. Negreac you said this was basically pretty straightforward, only need a couple attachments. could you specify the attachments if I'm gonna swap the doors and will the car accomodate the options I'm putting in?
#9 Old 10-09-2003, 02:07 PM

teampro687 is on a distinguished road
I would definatley like to hear from anyone that has done this. I have the doors to swap but the main harness on the non-power car only has the connections for the speakers. The doors with power has two plugs. I have looked for extra plugs or wires and do not see any. Is there an easy way to do this? Help Please.....
#10 Old 10-09-2003, 02:30 PM

i was told that the non power window cars had the plugs for power everything. did you look behind the kick panels? im gonna go outside and check right now. i will be doing the swap next week, and i will document it with pictures and post them here.

Mike
90 AWD DSM (sold )
#11 Old 10-09-2003, 02:34 PM

drftdvl is on a distinguished road
are the doors from a hatch and coupe the same?
#12 Old 10-09-2003, 03:30 PM

check out this tread. i was told on here that the harness WILL plug in to a dash harness on a car without power windows. i posted some pics and asked if someone would point out where they plug in.
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...181#post327181

Mike
90 AWD DSM (sold )
#13 Old 10-09-2003, 03:46 PM

Dr. Evil is on a distinguished road
Waaait a second. Do you want to convert your current power windows into manual? Or VICE VERSA?

If you want to convert from power into manual, you have to replace the door panel, unless you want to cut a hole in it. The regulator is the same, the doors are identical (power/manual), you would have to get a couple different parts. It's definately dooable.

BTW - if you are doing power to manual, can I buy your power relay? Mine is malfunctioning.

#14 Old 10-09-2003, 04:16 PM

name of the thread is manual to power conversion
j/k

btw - Dr.Evil is my name on counterstrike lol

Mike
90 AWD DSM (sold )
#15 Old 10-15-2003, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teampro687
I would definatley like to hear from anyone that has done this. I have the doors to swap but the main harness on the non-power car only has the connections for the speakers. The doors with power has two plugs. I have looked for extra plugs or wires and do not see any. Is there an easy way to do this? Help Please.....
i hit the same speed bump... i have all the hardware, and all i see under my dash is the one white plug, with wires for the speaker only... no others... and no blue plug. whats the deal? am i missing something?

Mike
90 AWD DSM (sold )
#16 Old 10-15-2003, 07:15 PM

wiremandc is on a distinguished road
Points: 4,480, Level: 1 Points: 4,480, Level: 1 Points: 4,480, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
i thought the same thing when i wired up my power folding mirrors, "there should be something for the power ones", but i don't think there is, when i had my panel off, there was 2 harnesses, on for the speakers and one that went to the door handle, i don't know what the second one was for but there was nothing from the power cars, i think they only put the wires in if it was gonna be a power car, not a manual car, and after looking at the wirining diagram, there's alot of wiring that needs to be done just for the power windows, i'm not exactly sure but it looked like there was 5 that went from the drivers side door to the other side and some more that just ran power, i have to recheck my book and get back to you guys tonight
#17 Old 10-16-2003, 04:38 PM

Hurricane is on a distinguished road
I have not done it on a 240, but I did it to my 91 Cavalier this summer. Its not overly difficult, a little time consuming but well worth it. I put power windows and locks in.
#18 Old 12-02-2003, 05:51 PM

teampro687 is on a distinguished road
wiremandc.....Have you been able to locate any more info on this swap. I have coverted my doors and am ready to wire the dash. I have a complete harness from a 240 that was power so I could possibly swap the whole thing but would rather just wire in what I need. Any help would be appreciated.
#19 Old 12-02-2003, 06:48 PM

I can't confirm that every dash harness is equiped with the wiring for power mirrors/locks/mirrors since I have these options on my car. I would think the main dash harness is the same no matter what trim level, for the same reason I have a plug for the ABS control unit but I don't have ABS. It's cheaper for Nissan to make one main harness then make individual main harnesses for individual trim levels.

'90 SR Powered Bare Bones Fastback
'90 Stock Fastback - SOLD
*RIP* '92 SR Powered Fully Loaded Fastback
'99 Jeep Mildly Modded Wrangler
#20 Old 12-02-2003, 07:12 PM

AkumaxKun is on a distinguished road
i have done this swap. i had my friend help me with this install. My 240 was originally a manual window car, but i converted it to a power window. i bought the motor, track and all that from another guy who was sellin his from his 240. the harness that came with the power windows had wires for the side mirrors, power locks, and other stuff but i juss cut those away. i only kept the wires for the power windows which i dont remember wut they were. i can check for u guys later. i then took the power supply wire and put a fuse tap. and connected that to my fuse box and its working fine now. i had to run wires across my dash to get power to my passenger side to work. i will check on the car later today for u guys to be able to this to ur cars.

E-mail - akumaxkun@adelphia.net
AIM - xSilxEightyx
#21 Old 12-02-2003, 07:56 PM

Does your window lock work? Also can you roll down the passenger window from the driver side?

'90 SR Powered Bare Bones Fastback
'90 Stock Fastback - SOLD
*RIP* '92 SR Powered Fully Loaded Fastback
'99 Jeep Mildly Modded Wrangler
#22 Old 12-02-2003, 08:07 PM

yeah i can do what you normally would be able to do with power windows. i'll post pics up in a few mins with how to connect the wires.

AIM - xSilxEightyx
#23 Old 12-02-2003, 09:02 PM

Ok, this is what i did when i bought the harness, track, motor, and amp from a guy with a '92 240 that had power windows.

What you need:

Screwdriver
Dikes
Wire crimper
Electrical Tape
A roll of 10 or 12 gauge wire
10-12 gauge butt connectors
Fuse Tap

On the drivers find the black (ground), red/black (wire to make it move), red/white (wire to make it move), and white/back wires (power). Those are the wires for the power windows. Like this

Now on the passenger side find the red/black, red/white, and white/black, these are the wires for the passenger side. I cut all the other wires off because i didnt need them. Like this

Now, go back to the drivers side and fish the wires through the boot that goes through the door and the side of the car. Once you fish it through, find a good ground for the ground wire. Now from here, your gonna have to cut 3 wires of the 10-12 gauge wire long enough to go across the dash. Now for the power wire (white/black) what I did was twist the white/black wire and the 10-12 gauge wire together and connect it like that with a butt connector. On the other end of the butt connector I attached the fuse wire tap like this

Once you do that go to your fuse box and find a fuse like the cigarette lighter and take that out and put it in the fuse tap along with another fuse and put that in the spot of the fuse for the cigarette light.

Now for the other wires, connect the wires you cut to the red/black and red/white wire and fish them through to the passenger side.

On the passenger side now, fish the wires you have through the boot from the door to the side of the car. Now get the white/black wire and connect it to the wire that you connected on the other side with the white/black wire. Do the same with the other wires and your done.

The end product should look like this

Hope this helps you guys.

AIM - xSilxEightyx

Last edited by AkumaxKun; 12-02-2003 at 09:06 PM.
#24 Old 12-06-2003, 03:14 PM

mattyboy is on a distinguished road
guy that was an awesome step by step! I bought a second 240 with power windows/mirrors/locks for my non-power 92' 240. I've had a hell of a time trying to find somebody to even attempt the job. maybe wth this step by step I'll have a better idea of what I'm looking at - there must be a way to do it!! I assume hooking the locks and the mirrors follow the same principal? cheers AKumaxkun!
#25 Old 12-06-2003, 03:41 PM

xalmostbravex is on a distinguished road
anybody else agree to nominate for a FAQ or Sticky?

Big J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement