Fastback: Not starting, no click, tap starter and it starts. - Nissan 240SX Forums
S13 240SX (89-94) Technical Questions Specifically for ALL S13's. (Including 180SX's, 200SX's & Silvia's)

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 03-21-2009, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthy
Points: 145,122,526, Level: 100 Points: 145,122,526, Level: 100 Points: 145,122,526, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
(Thread Starter)
Question Not starting, no click, tap starter and it starts.[SOLVED]

So my cousin's car (stock KA24DE) has been having some starting issues ever since he got it. (ALT fuse and battery have been replaced, so it has been pretty good for a while)

however, just recently, when you turn the key to START, there is no click at all, nothing happens.
Then we tried tapping the starter while the key was on "start" and voila, it started.

Retried starting a couple times, and it started perfectly. Then the next day it wouldn't start (again, no click), but after a roll start, it's starting fine again.

What could be the culprit here?

Possibly starter, or starter relay?

(car does not require clutch to be depressed to start it)

thanks for the help.

**SOLVED**
Starter has since been replaced. Car is starting fine now.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Last edited by nismoskyz; 03-28-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2009, 03:19 AM

DaywickelL is on a distinguished road
Points: 660, Level: 13 Points: 660, Level: 13 Points: 660, Level: 13
Activity: 20%
Activity: 20% Activity: 20% Activity: 20%
Most likely it's the starter that went bad. The same thing happened to me three weeks ago.
I'd turn the car to the "ON" position and nothing happened. So I tapped the starter a few times and the car started. The next day the car wouldn't start and I had to tap the starter again or push start it.
I took the starter out, took it apart, and cleaned it. The car started for about 4 days and then it wouldn't start again. So then I just replaced the starter and I was good to go.
#3 Old 03-22-2009, 04:51 AM

fakingdeath The posts made by this user are trust worthyfakingdeath The posts made by this user are trust worthyfakingdeath The posts made by this user are trust worthyfakingdeath The posts made by this user are trust worthyfakingdeath The posts made by this user are trust worthyfakingdeath The posts made by this user are trust worthyfakingdeath The posts made by this user are trust worthyfakingdeath The posts made by this user are trust worthyfakingdeath The posts made by this user are trust worthyfakingdeath The posts made by this user are trust worthyfakingdeath The posts made by this user are trust worthy
Points: 2,147,512,944, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,512,944, Level: 100 Points: 2,147,512,944, Level: 100
Activity: 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
Its the starter solenoid sticking...its the part that shoots the gear out to engage the flywheel.

Smacking it with a hammer or wood or whatever makes it work. Its a common thing on all cars.

Get a new starter or have yours rebuilt if u can find someone that still does it and should be fine.
#4 Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 AM

nismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthynismoskyz The posts made by this user are trust worthy
Points: 145,122,526, Level: 100 Points: 145,122,526, Level: 100 Points: 145,122,526, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
(Thread Starter)
thanks for the responses... yeah, after smacking it, it's still being moody so i guess he's gonna replace it and hopefully that'll take care of it.

thanks again.

#5 Old 03-25-2009, 03:39 AM

DUSTnPONYs is on a distinguished road
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
Activity: 40%
Activity: 40% Activity: 40% Activity: 40%
This sounds like garfield and oddie when they try to get the car started to sacrifice it to the volcano. I took a chick out one night to a movie and when we got back out to the car, this happened. I told her about the garfield thing.. said watch this, grabbed my framing hammer out of the trunk. She was sitting there like "What a loser." I lifted the hood and gave it a few taps, closed the hood and put the hammer back in the trunk. She started to give me a hard time and call a friend but didn't get very far before the car had started and we were on our way. It was worth a good laugh.
#6 Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Bow

Bow The posts made by this user are trust worthyBow The posts made by this user are trust worthyBow The posts made by this user are trust worthyBow The posts made by this user are trust worthyBow The posts made by this user are trust worthyBow The posts made by this user are trust worthyBow The posts made by this user are trust worthyBow The posts made by this user are trust worthyBow The posts made by this user are trust worthyBow The posts made by this user are trust worthyBow The posts made by this user are trust worthy
Points: 243,289,341, Level: 100 Points: 243,289,341, Level: 100 Points: 243,289,341, Level: 100
Activity: 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
Two choices:

Replace the starter for $XXX.XX

Rebuild the Starter for about $15

Sounds like the brushes are shot.

Bow

S13 owner since 1997, E85 burner since June 2007

Notice: Reading the Factory Service Manual has been known to be educational and prevent the asking of retarded questions on public internet forums.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement