Throw out bearing bad? Help! - Nissan 240SX Forums
S14 240SX (95-98) Technical Questions Specifically for ALL S14's. (Including 200SX's & Silvia's)

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 04-15-2011, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Crossdup is on a distinguished road
Points: 547, Level: 10 Points: 547, Level: 10 Points: 547, Level: 10
Activity: 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
(Thread Starter)
Throw out bearing bad? Help!

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum as you can see. Just bought myself someone elses project car and had a question for everyone.

I just picked up a 95 S14 that has an RB25DET swap with an rb20 tranny. Yesterday the car starting making this funny noise when my foot wasn't on the clutch at idle in neutral obviously. Knew it had to be something but didn't think it was major. Well today I got on it and as soon as it started building boost it slipped bad. So I'm thinking with the noise i'm hearing when the clutch is not engaged it has to be a throw out bearing... Any ideas? Do you think i'm correct?

The clutch is a brand new ACT stage 3 clutch with less than 600 miles on it so no worries there.

Day 3 problem number 1 greeeeaaaatttt... Let the money pit begin haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-15-2011, 07:13 PM

homestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthy
Points: 214,751,425, Level: 100 Points: 214,751,425, Level: 100 Points: 214,751,425, Level: 100
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossdup Last Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to the forum as you can see. Just bought myself someone elses project car and had a question for everyone.

I just picked up a 95 S14 that has an RB25DET swap with an rb20 tranny. Yesterday the car starting making this funny noise when my foot wasn't on the clutch at idle in neutral obviously. Knew it had to be something but didn't think it was major. Well today I got on it and as soon as it started building boost it slipped bad. So I'm thinking with the noise i'm hearing when the clutch is not engaged it has to be a throw out bearing... Any ideas? Do you think i'm correct?

The clutch is a brand new ACT stage 3 clutch with less than 600 miles on it so no worries there.

Day 3 problem number 1 greeeeaaaatttt... Let the money pit begin haha
depends on the noise. if its a whine its probably the pilot bearing/bushing, if its more of a screech then its probably the throwout bearing.
#3 Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 PM

(Thread Starter)
You think the pilot bearing/bushing could cause it to slip like that as well? I got back in the car about 3 hours later and no slip whatsoever, ran great. I'd say it's more of a screech so probably the throwout bearing.

Anyone ever that had happen where it just clears itself up? It will be interesting to see when it starts slipping again.
#4 Old 04-15-2011, 09:45 PM

rountreesj is on a distinguished road
Points: 266, Level: 5 Points: 266, Level: 5 Points: 266, Level: 5
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
keep in mind the throwout bearing is ENGAGED when the foot is on the gas

the clutch is disengaged at that point.

any noise when i neutral with your foot off the clutch is almost 100% certainly in the transmission.

i'd say check to make sure the slave is not semi engaging the throwout bearing, check to see that the threaded rod to the clutch master cylinder is not adjusted to far as to make the slave cylinder engage slightly even with your foot off the gas...

my input shaft bearing was going out in my ka tranny, causing a scraping/whirring noise when at idle, and coasting slow. and when i replaced the tranny, i replaced the slave and master because they were shot too, and i adjusted my master just slightly incorrectly
and it caused slippage... just a thought...
#5 Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 PM

csramotorsports The posts made by this user are trust worthycsramotorsports The posts made by this user are trust worthycsramotorsports The posts made by this user are trust worthycsramotorsports The posts made by this user are trust worthycsramotorsports The posts made by this user are trust worthycsramotorsports The posts made by this user are trust worthycsramotorsports The posts made by this user are trust worthycsramotorsports The posts made by this user are trust worthycsramotorsports The posts made by this user are trust worthycsramotorsports The posts made by this user are trust worthycsramotorsports The posts made by this user are trust worthy
Points: 214,749,178, Level: 100 Points: 214,749,178, Level: 100 Points: 214,749,178, Level: 100
Activity: 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
If it's screeching its most likely your throw out
#6 Old 04-15-2011, 10:11 PM

homestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthyhomestar240 The posts made by this user are trust worthy
Points: 214,751,425, Level: 100 Points: 214,751,425, Level: 100 Points: 214,751,425, Level: 100
Activity: 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
If the screech goes away when you push in the clutch, and starts back when you let the clutch out in neutral, then it is almost 100% your TOB. And sometimes those kind of problems come and go, but it will probably resurface at some point.

basically find out from the guy you bought it from:

1) did he change just the clutch plate or the whole kit?

2) if he changed the whole kit did he grease the throw out bearing?

If he didn't change the tob then that is probably it, and if he did change it but didn't grease it then that is more than likely the cause.
#7 Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 PM

(Thread Starter)
I talked to him tonight and it's definitely the throw out bearing. He was like oh yeah, didn't I tell you about that. Of course he didn't and the noise wasn't there so I had no reason to ask. When they put the RB20 tranny in the did not change the throw out bearing and he admitted it should have been done but was forgotten and everything was back together when he asked. He said it happens every once in a while, shut the car off turn it back on and it's gone for a while. That's exactly what happened so I'll let it go and change it in the near future. Thanks for the help...

Anyone know roughly what peak boost is on a stock RB25DET?

This car has no boost control, no BOV and no tune. He didn't know what ECU it was running on nothing as far as that goes.
#8 Old 05-04-2011, 01:13 PM

Nismo>anything is on a distinguished road
Points: 235, Level: 4 Points: 235, Level: 4 Points: 235, Level: 4
Activity: 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossdup Last Post
I talked to him tonight and it's definitely the throw out bearing. He was like oh yeah, didn't I tell you about that. Of course he didn't and the noise wasn't there so I had no reason to ask. When they put the RB20 tranny in the did not change the throw out bearing and he admitted it should have been done but was forgotten and everything was back together when he asked. He said it happens every once in a while, shut the car off turn it back on and it's gone for a while. That's exactly what happened so I'll let it go and change it in the near future. Thanks for the help...

Anyone know roughly what peak boost is on a stock RB25DET?

This car has no boost control, no BOV and no tune. He didn't know what ECU it was running on nothing as far as that goes.
Throw out bearing is not gonna stop making noise just because you turn the car off. Something else is going on. I would check your clutch pedal adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement