Nissan 240SX Forums banner

slave cylinder and the throw out bearing

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  ArinStein 
#1 ·
My clutch was real soft, I have to put my foot to the floor to shift with difficulty. I noticed that my slave cylinder was leaking, so I replaced it. When I was trying to bleed the lines I noticed that I can't move the throw out bearing were it contacts the slave cylinder. Is this do to low fluids. Should I tap it with a hammer or does this seem like it could be something that would require me to crack open the whole transmission. i tried to upload photo but did not succeed. Will try later.

#2 ·
Do you think the throw out bearing is somehow seized on the shaft? Pictures or a video would really help. You can post a link to a Youtube video if that works for you.

#4 ·
1. Try to see in there and see what's going on. There was an occasion where I had to look in there and all that was necessary was to remove the dust boot for the clutch fork (looks like yours is already gone) and put my eye next to it and peer in. You may not be able to do this since your fork is imobile. An optical wires used by mechanics and spies and contractors might be able to help you out here.

2. If you remove the slave cylinder is it able to wiggle a little bit?

3. Light to medium taps with a hammer to free it up. The more I think about it this same thing may have happened to me a few years ago where the TOB slid too far along the input shaft and got stuck along a groove or something.

4. (sigh) remove the damn trans and after you figure out what it was please post to tell the rest of us what it was

Good luck

#6 ·
Just remembered I have a spare trans sitting in my garage but its missing a TOB. I'll take a look at it tonight and see if I can see what problem you might be having. I do think it is that the TOB slid too far along the shaft and got stuck. Did you apply white lithium grease to the shaft before/during the install?

#7 ·
I did not install it. I bought the car about a year ago and initially drove fine. Then it sat for a year while other projects took priority and once I started it up again noticed problem with clutch. It is a bone stock 95 240sx. So I will be the first to fool with it

#8 ·
Ok, then is definitely sounds possible (considering you have no dust boot around the hole for the clutch fork) that too little grease was used on the input shaft during the install initially and a bunch of moisture got in while it sat and seized the Throw Out Bearing on to the input shaft OR for one reason or another the bearing slid too far along the shaft and go stuck when you depressed the clutch for the first time in a while (this happened to me but I can't remember if it was on my Eclipse or on my 240SX).

Long story short you can try tapping the clutch fork with a hammer to free it up (don't wail on it) but if that doesn't work just bite the bullet and pull the trans. Like I said please let us know what the problem ends up being. It will help others in the future.

The system is bled correctly though right? The pressure you apply with your hand wouldn't be enough to move the clutch fork and therefore the throw out bearing on its own. If the system is bled and the clutch pedal is still stuck follow the directions I previously laid out for you. If the cluch pedal can move then the TOB is sliding along the shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.