Problem with SR20 power steering - Nissan 240SX Forums
SR20DE & DET Tech Section for all things SR. (Including the N/A SR20DE)

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 08-02-2004, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Silverbullet is on a distinguished road
Points: 6,443, Level: 52 Points: 6,443, Level: 52 Points: 6,443, Level: 52
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
(Thread Starter)
Problem with SR20 power steering

ok, i finally realized the PS pump for my SR20DET is for HICAS. That explains the two high pressure ports lol. Anways I'd like to have PS on my car, its harder than i thought even while driving. Can i fit the KA PS pump on? What are other options? I'd like to have this done quick, i have AutoXing event to compete in less than 2 weeks. PS would help =D

S13 "Sil-40"aspiring drift car
S14 "kouki" aspiring daily beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2004, 09:26 PM

driftkid00 is on a distinguished road
Points: 7,792, Level: 59 Points: 7,792, Level: 59 Points: 7,792, Level: 59
As Carl H told me, take out the impellers for the rear pressure port (10 little metal squares) and block off the the hole.
#3 Old 08-02-2004, 09:38 PM

omegablue2k1 is on a distinguished road
Carl H and Myself both know for a fact that teh HICAS one WILL work with a non hicas 91-94....

Just get a vaccum cap and cap off one of the return bungs on the bottom of the pump and cut the two wires off the cap itself (they are used for the hicas warning light) Then just go ahead and bolt the reservoir onto your driver shock tower, and attach the small rubber return hose to the reservoir. you can also at this time attach the hose from teh reservoir to the pump itself but dont attach to the pump.

Im going to assume at this point that you have the p/s pump sitting in front of you somewhere you can work on it. Clean it so you dont get too dirty, and even better to wear a pair of latex gloves. Unbolt the 4 small bolts on teh back end of teh pump (opposite the pulley) and pull teh back of the pump STRAIGHT off. It will come off, if not then wiggle it around a bit to get it to slide off. Inside you will see the hicas pump wheel and it will have 9 or 10 small square impeller plates. Remove these tiny plates and dispose of if you dont plan on putting back to hicas functionability.

Do everything you possibly can to block off/cap off the rear outlet (used for the hicas line) Easiest thing to do if you can find one (I couldnt) is a 12mm standard threaded pipe plug and some JB Weld or Loctite industrial thread lock. This si the most important part because i rushed this step and ended up wasting over half a large bottle of synthetic p/s fluid from the leaks. MAKE SURE MAKE SURE MAKE SURE you seal off teh rear outlet tight and solid. I cant stress it enough!

After that, just go ahead and reinstall the p/s pump the same way you took it apart, short of putting those little square impeller plates back in.

Go back to your car and mount the ps pump to your engine block, install the p/s belt, tighten the belt and then install the feed line from teh reservoir to the pump and finally twist the p/s line to the front outlet and mount to teh pump, placing one of the nylon washers on either side of the p/s line (you should know what im talking about when you see it). Torque down the stud to hold the p/s line to the pump (hand tight was enough to not leak on mine)

Fill the reservoir with your p/s fluid of choice, i like the full synthetic, makes the older p/s system feel newer and also has stop leak additives in it. Turn on your car and turn the wheel full right to bump stop and tap teh bump stop 3 or 4 times, then turn full left to bump and tap teh bump 3 or 4 times. Return to center and turn off teh car. Check your p/s fluid level and fill as required. repeat the bump stop steps to be sure to properly fill your steering rack. Cap the reservoir and shut your hood. You now have power steering on a non-hicas sr using a hicas pump and reservoir.

Added bonus: the SR Hicas reservoir is teh nicest looking one available out of the 4 you can use.....
#4 Old 08-02-2004, 10:01 PM

driftkid00 is on a distinguished road
Points: 7,792, Level: 59 Points: 7,792, Level: 59 Points: 7,792, Level: 59
Wow, well I think I'm going to go back and try to block that rear outlet off better, because I'm still getting a little leakage. Good info!
#5 Old 08-03-2004, 12:05 AM

omegablue2k1 is on a distinguished road
HA HA HA, yea. Took me like 5 attempts to get that damn thing sealed off right. I was just too lazy to do it right the first time and each time after that just didnt make it any better. I finally fixed the leak, but wasted abotu 2 dollars worth of perfectly good p/s fluid on my driveway, the parkinglot at my girlfriends apartment, and the lot at my work. :-) Im just so glad thats the ONLY leak ive ever had since the swap was done, well outside the the engine anyways, i just had my rear main crankshaft seal and gasket, and trans input shaft oil seal and gasket replaced this past weekend while i had my new Blitz kit installed. Which now, my car keeps stalling out at idle when i come to a stop in neutral or downshift too slow around a corner. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement