Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1995 BMW Sr20det swap.

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Tonez 
#1 ·
A few months ago I came across a web page that had a few pics of a 95 BMW 3 series with a sr20 swap . My buddys motor on his 95 3 series is about to take a shit after 200,000 hard miles. Its a 4 cyilinder and I was thinking about doin a swap to it any one have any info or ideas about it?

#4 ·
He should just get a european m3 motor cause the sr won't pass smog, well maybe depending where your at. I don't think the european m3 motors pass smog either, but hey at least it be better than poping the hood and it say nissan on a bmw that would just confuse a lot of people.

#5 ·
BMW engines are awesome, but if the SR20 swap is cheaper I say do it. I have been looking around for the M3 (E36) longblocks and I havent really found any. For a longblock only cost around $6,000... Other ones like performance engines from DINAN, and tunermotorsports.com.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=S142.5

http://www.bavengine.com/engine.html

That engine makes 300hp without a cat, and its $14,999!!!! That is an E30 2.5l (older M3) and it doesnt even make that much power. Now, for $15,000 I think you could swap an SR20 into a Bimmer and make well over 300hp.

Engine, tranny, ECU
custom wire harness
custom engine mounts
custom driveshaft
custom downpipe

Maybe custom fuel lines, radaitor hoses, clutch line and a throttle cable ect..

Other than that I dont think you would have any other problems..I would like to see that swap..haha

#6 ·
Hey Check this out...

FAQ’s for the BMW E30 SR20DET Engine Conversions

Please read the disclaimer also.

What years can I do this conversion in?

You can use any E30 BMW. If you don’t know the difference, please do some more research on this subject.

What is a SR20DET/ SR20DE?

There are several versions of both the SR20DE and the SR20DET (Remember 'T' is for Turbo).

While the engines are similar in most respects there are several Here are the differences between the DET and the DE:

The DET has oil squirter piston coolers
The DET has a bigger oil pump.
The DET has a different front pulley.
The DET has lower compression pistons (8.3:1 vs 9.5:1).
The DET has bigger injectors.
The DET has direct ignition.
The DET has a variable intake cam, runs retarded at idle, advanced mid range and retarded top end.
The DET has mechanical shim in bucket type lifters with a slightly bigger in duration exhaust cam.

The GTi-R DET has individual Throttle body injection.
The GTi-R DET has stronger main cap bolts.
The GTi-R DET has beefier rods.

Just about all the parts between a DET and a DE interchange.

Is one better than the other?

Depends on what you want to do now and in the future. Both are a good start for anyone, but if you will take the jump into OVERBOOST, than the DET is the only way to go.

Where can I get parts for the SR20?

Parts are available almost everywhere on the Internet as well as Nissan Dealers. Do your research, or ask for references for reputable parts distributors.

What upgrades are available?

How fast do you go and how much do you want to spend. There are so many upgrades available; it will make you drool and wish you could sell one of your kidneys. Anything is possible as long as there is a dream, a determination, as well as the funds to make it happen.

What type of performance can I gain?

Take a look at the table below. You know what you have now and just do the math.

BMW E30 Engines from : www.bmwe30.net
318 M10 B18 105 bhp
318 M40 B18 115bhp
320 M20 B20 Motronic 129bhp
325 M20 B27 127bhp
325i M20 B25 170hp
M3 192bhp

NISSAN
SR20DET 205hp to 280hp
Modified SR20DET, with minor modifications and tuning 350-450hp

Does the Nissan transmission mate to the BMW rear diff?

No, the kit includes a custom made and balanced prop shaft. Transmission, adapters, mounts, shifter, and everything else needed.

Which transmissions are used?

There are Nissan 5-speed or automatic transmissions available. To change from an auto to a manual will require all components from a manual car. So please select wisely, to save time and energy converting an automatic car into a manual. But if you have no choice, please read this article.

Which Differentials are used?

There are different BMW diffs with different gear ratios out there. All of them are interchangeable, so it is not something to be overly concerned with, but it all depends on what the car will be used for. Please refer to www.BMWE30.Net on this topic as to which years are the best for your application.

What type of engine management do you use?

The standard kit comes with a harness to tie the Nissan computer with the BMW’s Computer. This allows all of the factory gauges and dash and other interior electronics to function as if nothing had been changed, or at least until someone opens the hood or steps on the gas.

Is the stock SR20DET Intercooler plumbing used (i.e. Will Upgraded IC's and Turbo upgrades work)?

No, we include a new Front Mount Intercooler as part of the kit. The stock one is fine if you like it, but we like our FMIC better because it works better. If you want to upgrade it later, you can. Whatever can or could be done to a SR20DET can be done onto the BMW. Like everything about this conversion, it will have to be modified to fit, but it can be done.

What is the weight difference between a E30 and an SR20DET?

There is no significant weight difference; both systems are within 20lbs of each other, depending on your modifications and options.

Do you source the SR20 or would I have to find one?

The kit only comes one-way, COMPLETE. This way you will not have to hunt all over the world to find a suitable engine, trans, etc.

I don’t have a BMW right now can you help me find one?

Sure, Vancouver B.C. has a large selection of rust free pre-owned cars available. Give us a call to discuss your needs.

Can you outline the total costs for me?

Not really, every kit is a custom configuration. Each one is dependent on year, options, and modifications before, during, and after installation.

Could you please give me a price on the kit?

For generalities the kit start at $5500USD to $6500USD, and will depend largely on the donor engine and transmission chosen.

I am not mechanically inclined what so ever, so what costs am I looking at to get someone else besides me to do the installation.

Figure about $2-3000 depending on who you ask, and how familiar with engine transplants and shop rates. We usually charge out about $3000, which also includes Dyno tuning.

How long are we looking to have the car off the road for this installation?

Depends on what you want done. The usual down time is about 10-14 days to do a really nice and detail job.

Do you have Turn-Key or used cars already done and available?

We can build a complete Turn-Key if you wish, but we will not stock cars waiting to sell. There are too many variable as to what can be done and it is difficult to predict what each and every customer desires.

I want to buy my teenager a E30. Give me one reason why I shouldn't!

These cars are NOT toys! These cars are capable of pulling sub 9 sec ¼ miles, top speed approaching 200 Mph!!! 0-60 in the 4.5 to 5 sec, this is not a car for a kid...Think of it as a loaded weapon, do what you will, but choose carefully.

How can I set this car up so my wife can drive it?

We install Variable Boost Controllers, which can be set from minimal to maximum boost at the turn of a knob and a push of a button. This will allow the same car to start with 200hp at stage 1 and up to 300hp at stage 5. Simply choose the stage you want to run and the computer will remap the ECU to behave differently.

Who’s going to tune up this car when it needs it?

The BMW parts still come from BMW, so you can choose any place that services BMW’s. The same goes with the Nissan parts. After the system is installed, almost any capable, trained, ASE Certified Mechanic can maintain the car. Besides changing the oil and Tune-ups, there is little to go wrong.

What type of warranty do you provide?

Please read disclaimers and sign agreements before making purchase. Copies will be sent out on request. This will override any and all statements made below.

If you are buying the kit and installing it yourself, we will warranty any and all custom made parts for defects against materials and craftsmanship.
New parts carry manufactures warranty, if any.
On the engine and trans, there are no warranties expressed or implied. We test and inspect each engine and transmission prior to shipping; therefore, it is working when it leaves our facilities.

Damages during shipping will be covered by the transportation company.

If KFG installs the conversion, then the car has a limited liability warranty covering 12 months or 24,000km.

We reserve the right to test, inspect and verify all claims made under warranty issues.

Any form of racing, amateur or professional motorsports automatically null and voids all warranty claims.

Come on folks, we know what you are going to do with this car.

And like my old friend keeps telling me: if you haven’t broken it yet, then you are not going fast enough.

KFGroup Enterprises is a group of companies involved in a variety of different industries and services. We have partnered with experts on each field to bring you the best the world has to offer. Click here for more details about KFGroup.

(taken from http://kfgspeed.com/index.htm)

Check out http://kfgspeed.com/index.htm about that..

Thats in a E30, so the E36 might be a little different...

Hope that helps..

#9 ·
A2ThaK said:
He should just get a european m3 motor cause the sr won't pass smog, well maybe depending where your at. I don't think the european m3 motors pass smog either, but hey at least it be better than poping the hood and it say nissan on a bmw that would just confuse a lot of people.
Not too worried about smog, we live in MI . Thank God I dont have to worry about all that junk .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.