setting and adjusting ignition timing. - Nissan 240SX Forums
SR20DE & DET Tech Section for all things SR. (Including the N/A SR20DE)

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 Old 04-01-2007, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mastaflash is on a distinguished road
Points: 7,381, Level: 57 Points: 7,381, Level: 57 Points: 7,381, Level: 57
Activity: 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
(Thread Starter)
setting and adjusting ignition timing.

well i have changed a bunh of stuff on my car and i replaced the cas. i think my ignition timing is off from where it should be, so i need the procedure for how to check and adjust it.

i have read about disconecting the tps, and it should be 15 BTDC. if anyone can list out the propor way to check and adjust it id apreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-02-2007, 07:26 AM

240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy
The FSM lists it perfectly. I suggest you do some reading for 2 minutes and you will know exactly what to do.

check out my out dated RPS13 pics from two years agoCLICK HERE

Volvo Factory Tech
http://www.myspace.com/240witsr
#3 Old 04-02-2007, 09:23 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240witSR Last Post
The FSM lists it perfectly. I suggest you do some reading for 2 minutes and you will know exactly what to do.
use the s14 fsm? i looked through it and couldnt find anything about setting ignition timing. since your such a guru, would you happen to know what section its in, or what page??

i swear these forums are useless. you post something after searching and someone tells you to search. well the results of the searches are either irrelevent, have wrong, scattered information, or have nothing but posts that say "search".
#4 Old 04-02-2007, 12:17 PM

240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy240witSR The posts made by this user are trust worthy
I rebuilt my motor completely by myself with the exception of the machining by using the FSM. EM-29 is where it tells you to set the camshaft position sensor which in turn changes your ignition timing.

Volvo Factory Tech
#5 Old 04-02-2007, 06:41 PM

(Thread Starter)
well im glad you had success with the FSM. i didnt say it wasnt a good tool, it definatly is.

im no mechanical dummy. im actualy a bmw technitian. but all the experiance in the world wont help you if you havent done a particular procedure, like seting ignition timing on an sr.

and actually what you thought i was looking for does me no good. i have done that already. what i want to do is use a timing light and check and adjust my timing. the CAS is adjustable, so that the ignition timing can be fine tuned and adjusted.

so, can anyone tell me how to check and adjust my ignition timing??
#6 Old 04-03-2007, 07:23 AM

You need to wire a test light to the coil wire.... Snap-On and Matco sell a light for Coil-On-Plug ignition systems to test. If you are a BMW tech, this should be all second nature since ANY TECHNICIAN in this world knows general ignition timing procedures. I myself work for Volvo as a ASE master tech and know these from back in the day.

Volvo Factory Tech
#7 Old 04-03-2007, 07:26 AM

I found this within two seconds of searching....

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13det Last Post
easiest way to time your motor is the cut spark plug wire way...pull the number one coilpack (closest to fron tof car) take a spark plug wire from your ka or sr fwd cut the part off that conect to the stock distributor. wrap some electrical tape around the end (not the actuall tip just around the wire) of the wire that is going to be put into the coil pack just so it makes a nice fit and wont slide out. push the wire in, click the otherside down to the spark plug, connect your timming light. warm the car, pull the tps, make sure it hold a steady idle at around 800 to 1k, point the timming gun and your crank pulley and time it to the SECOND MARK FROM THE RIGHT 15* btdc. plug your tps in recheck to make sure it hasnt moved, tighten down your cas. turn off the car remove all the shit you just rigged up. go for a test drive come back and redo those steps to make sure it stays.. good luck

Volvo Factory Tech
#8 Old 04-03-2007, 07:59 PM

HaloZ is on a distinguished road
Points: 5,982, Level: 50 Points: 5,982, Level: 50 Points: 5,982, Level: 50
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
a bmw tech has never used a timing light? WTF.....

there is a black wire loop where the coil pack harness plugs in to the main EFI harness. thats where you get your tach signal. aim the light at the crank and rotate the cas L/R till you get to 15 degrees.

:note to self::never go to that guys dealership for anything......:

stock and stock, with exhausts and intakes.

92 Z32
93 S13
94 FD3S
01 D22
#9 Old 04-03-2007, 08:35 PM

(Thread Starter)
well actually in my 2 years of being at the dealer i have used a timing light once. and it was on a 1975 bmw 2002. and to get the timing light i had to go to the oldest guy in the shop, and he was the only one that had one. the timing isnt adjustable on any of the cars, so ive never had to time anything with coil on plug style ignition.

thanks for actually giveing me some usable information. so that black wire you are talking about, can you attatch the pickup to that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement