Nissan 240SX Forums banner

New brake pads, overheating.. curious

1K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  insane_x10 
#1 ·
I bought some new Hawk HP+ pads for my front brakes. replacing the old ones I had. didnt change or resurface the rotors, just cleaned them and checked for deep cuts. everything looks smooth. i keep getting a screeching sound and overheating from only the driver side brakes. passenger side everything is perfect.
I noticed once i took off the brakes to add that grease it comes with the outside pad a small chip not to deep on the surface. (my fault) the rotor is still very clean with no cuts. i figured it would keep making the noise untill its leveled out. but not sure on whats causing the over heating. light smoke.

Any idea? fluid not going through?

#9 ·
:10:

Because a suspected stuck piston could become a projectile... and hurt/kill someone.

Switch the positions of the inner/outer pads... You may have them on backwards. Had the very same issue with my rears when they were stock way back in the day.

Put plenty of antisqueal on your shims & lube the guide pins to minimize the noise.

#12 ·
Yes they are... In addition to preventing squeal when properly greased, they also help distribute the force of the piston evenly across the back of the pad so they have a better chance to wear evenly. The good news is that a lot of today's brake pads come integrally shimmed from the manufacturer.

#13 ·
thanks everyone for the responds.. finally fixed it. good thing it wasn't the piston not releasing , it was the two side bolts on the caliper that were stuck, set some fire, pulled it out, added a lot of grease and good to go. just need to do that to the rest to prevent future problems... And with the whole piston flying out if stuck, i tried to check that, just put a piece of wood in the center so it doesn't go any where and pressed the brakes... Every good...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.