Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SOTUMON is on a distinguished road
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Activity: 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
(Thread Starter)
Question Meter Fuse keeps Popping.

Hi Guys my name is Bryce. I just picked up a 1991 Nissan @240sx Fastback back in august and have done a numerous amounts of repairs just to get it to were it sits today. So the issue i'm running into now is that every time i turn the key over to the 2nd click my meter fuse keeps popping.

So far i've checked all my wiring from the passengers door all the way to the drivers side fuse box and there were no broken lines. Pervious to this recurring incident i replaced the battery, alternator, and stater. While reading thru some forums it says it could be my ECU, but for the most part it could be my wiring shorting out somewhere.

I've tried unplugging my reverse light sensor, speed sensor, speedometer, and all my tail lights. still pops.

My 240 has been sitting for about a month now and i cant seem to find the problem. Any recommendations on what i should do or look for next is highly appreciated.

thanks,
Bryce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-03-2017, 02:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
w0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthyw0nderbr3ad The posts made by this user are trust worthy
Points: 425,553,570, Level: 100 Points: 425,553,570, Level: 100 Points: 425,553,570, Level: 100
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Work backwards from your repairs and double check the work and see if it continues to blow. Check for broken wire shielding that could be grounding out or other engine bay fuses that have broken during the process.

P.H.D member #64
1990 s13 fb
post #3 of 5 Old 11-03-2017, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
csspeedllc is on a distinguished road
Points: 89, Level: 1 Points: 89, Level: 1 Points: 89, Level: 1
Activity: 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0nderbr3ad View Post
Work backwards from your repairs and double check the work and see if it continues to blow. Check for broken wire shielding that could be grounding out or other engine bay fuses that have broken during the process.
Plus 1 to that. Also see if you can find a wiring diagram for this circuit and any others you've touched. It'll act as a good road map to help you pinpoint the problem.

Check the page out:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-23-2017, 09:54 PM

KittenVsBlender is on a distinguished road
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 42%
Activity: 42% Activity: 42% Activity: 42%
There are a few things you can check. Try unplugging different components of the gauge cluster one at a time and testing it again. Whichever one the fuse is being blown by will reveal itself. Speed sensor, fuel sending unit etc...

First thing to do would be to re-check the work you just did. Make sure the grounds are all on and correct, check for any loose, frayed, kinked wiring, broken connectors. Let us know what you find.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old 06-30-2018, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Be nice, I'm new here!

SOTUMON is on a distinguished road
Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1 Points: 38, Level: 1
Activity: 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
(Thread Starter)
Update: So I found out that I do have a short somewhere in my wiring but could not locate it. What I ended up doing was tapping a wire into that fuse location and ran a it directly to my cluster. All my gauges work now but the cluster does not light up. I also found that who ever own the car before me did not wire the back up lights to the correct sensor on the transmission side when they did the auto to 5speed swap.

The problem I'm running into now if that my MAF Sensor is not getting power from the black/white wire. It now runs in limp mode.

I then ended up running a new wire from the black/white on the MAF connector to the same fuse location. In doing so now my white wire is read as a ground and my daylight runners and cluster lights will not turn off unless I unplug the battery. The car is still in limp mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement