Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member here, thanks for having me. I am working on some repairs on my daughters grandparents 1992 240sx convertible. The hydraulic cylinders for the convertible top are leaking. I have found replacements for the cylinders but I am curious if anyone has had luck rebuilding the old cylinders? I am an industrial maintenance manager with a lot of experience rebuilding/repairing hydraulic cylinders but I didn't want to take them out and waste time on repairing them if it isn't possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,996 Posts
I am a new member here, thanks for having me. I am working on some repairs on my daughters grandparents 1992 240sx convertible. The hydraulic cylinders for the convertible top are leaking. I have found replacements for the cylinders but I am curious if anyone has had luck rebuilding the old cylinders? I am an industrial maintenance manager with a lot of experience rebuilding/repairing hydraulic cylinders but I didn't want to take them out and waste time on repairing them if it isn't possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there,
I was curious so I found this thread, looks like there is a procedure somewhere in the factory service manual for this.
From this thread

"I just put a new O-ring in the top section of my ram.
Follow the book for taking it out then the clevis at the end just unscrews from the shaft. the top of the ram has a small locking clip that you have to push up on and the top cap just unscrews. The O-ring is the seal for the fluid, and the very top seal on mine was dry and cracked a little but it is just a dust scraper.
I replaced the o-ring and the hardest thing to do was blead it.
Sorry I didn't get good pics of it like i did for making my rear quarter window guides (thinking of making a how to if there is any interest... I actually "milled" new ones from a block)

Finally I quit getting tar streaks on my carpet from the leak running under it in the floor pan.

Nathan "

Get the factory service manual from here and search in there for the convertible top, I'm sure it's in there

1 - 5 of 5 Posts