Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ima start by saying I’m 17 and am not too informed about the topic but what I’m asking is I’ve found a used pretty much stock 1989 240sx fastback for around 6-10k should I expect a lot of issues and is it worth buying if there’s a lot of common fixes that need to be made? And would it be too much of a headache to keep it road worthy

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 89-90 models have a single cam motor (140bhp) but the 91-94 years have the dual cam motor(155hp) For a 240 with the dual cam motor and if the car is in good condition 6-10k is a reasonable price. When you buy the car (if you do) be sure to check for rust in the spare tire area in the trunk, frame rails, battery tray, and under the brake booster. There are loads of YouTube videos of what to look for when buying a 240 so I recommend checking those out. In my opinion if you can I think you should make the car road worthy. Also if you do get a single cam and are not happy with it it is very common to engine swap, but for now just for learning sake I would keep the dual cam until your ready.

·
Administrator
2,119 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Your question all depends on your skill level and in this day and age, finances.
Back when I bought my 240sx as my first car, you could buy them $1000-2000 dollars because there were lots of them.
Today the number of them still out there is way lower because so many were crashed or parted out.

Now it's 6-10k for a car. 3-5x the price of just the car alone.
Buying used parts like fenders, engines, suspension pieces that were cheap are now going for what we used to pay for entire cars.

If you have loads of money lying around, go for it.
This way you can actually afford to fix the car if you are doing it yourself or if you have to pay a mechanic.

Honestly though, the 03-08 Nissan 350z is probably a better choice.
For the same money you would spend on a stock 240, you can get a car that :
-makes almost double the horsepower and torque, with engines readily available for $500 to $1000 (versus some ka24de engines that cost $1500 today)
-has a really stout 6 speed trans versus the 240sx 5 speed that's weak
-the car itself is designed as a sports car
-you get the same if not better gas mileage for a stronger engine

Honestly the Z is a better value than the 240sx was.
The 240 we had to swap in sr20's (look up pricing on those now) or Gm v8's or turbo the ka24 or swap in the RB or JZ engines.
You can take a 350z to the track as is.

If I had to start all over TODAY, then I'd be buying up 350Zs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts