Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I just got my first 240sx. I am 17 years old and i have a big passion for drifting, so what better car to get then this one. Here are some pictures of the car the day I bought it. I got the car for 500$ (Canadian). The problem with the car, well there was something wrong with the transmission. but for 500$ I thought it would make a great project car as 240sx are one of my favorite cars. Here are some pictures, Now I do warn you WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE MIGHT CAUSE YOU TO PUNCH A LOVED ONE.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
im going to go ahead and guess that the frame rails have rust ha.

definitely needs quite a bit of TLC, but take it step by step and you will get it fixed up in no time.
word of advice, get everything fixed (rust, dents, any engine/tranny problems) before you even start to look at modding it.

Read the stickys in each section for lots in information, and if you have a question, the search function is your friend.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Hey guys I just got my first 240sx. I am 17 years old and i have a big passion for drifting, so what better car to get then this one. Here are some pictures of the car the day I bought it. I got the car for 500$ (Canadian). The problem with the car, well there was something wrong with the transmission.
i think you have more than just a transmission problem. good luck and mak sure you get rid of all the rust

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
That's a car that has seen some salty roads. Good luck with the build. I'm curious to see what you do with it

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
looks like good progress on the interior clean up, good job

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so like I said the car had a transmission problem (and others). So the we had to tow the car to my house. So I wanted to figure out the problem so I jacked the car up as high as i could to get the car sitting on wheel stands. Here are some pictures.

So I was using my jack as a helper so that the transmission didn't fall on me.

So by the time I got the transmission unbolted it was like 1:30 in the morning. So I decided to leave it till morning.
So in the morning I pulled out the transmission.

So after lunch I wanted to get to the bottom of this problem. I started taking the transmission apart.

So I got all the gears out and wanted to make sure that all the shift forks were good and no teether were worn right off the gear.

After all that work and trying all the things that I think could have gone wrong I had found the problem. When I was taking the transmission out of the car I slid the drive shaft out and no oil came out so I thought that was strange. Then when I went to drain the fluid out to take all the gears out, hardly anything came out. That is where it got really serious and my whole perception on what could have been wrong changed. I started turning gears and turning the input, output shaft and that is when I found my problem. The guy that owned the car before me had ran the transmission dry of oil and what had ended up happening is that it welded second gear to the input-output shaft. So that one sucks!

·
Registered
425 Posts
yay another 240sx being rescued!! i love this and you dnt got to tell them americans that its canadian currency the dollar is now even lol... keep up the good work!! but what box said is right fix the body before doing any mods. and way back when i had a stock exhaust it broke the very same place i think that was a problem area for the 240.

im praying your frame rails are fine..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yay another 240sx being rescued!! i love this and you dnt got to tell them americans that its canadian currency the dollar is now even lol... keep up the good work!! but what box said is right fix the body before doing any mods. and way back when i had a stock exhaust it broke the very same place i think that was a problem area for the 240.

im praying your frame rails are fine..
Thanks everyone for all the motivation, it makes me feel good when I have people "cheering" me on to help out this hurting 240, Now as much as I hate to say the frame rails are not in the best shape, there are a couple holes and alot of rust. i will try to get some pictures up and let you guys see how much there is.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Get your rust fixed asap. Especially being in Canada. Or tube frame you car lol Keep up the great work. Hopefully I'll be starting my project this weekend. Got a couple choices. Except I hope to have less rust. Keep us updated with the pics and don't be too bummed about the tranny. They're cheap as can be.

·
Registered
468 Posts
hey man not too bad u definatly got a good deal and take it from me if anyone on this forum has seen frame rails that are shitty it was me check out my build thread and look at my b4 and after frame rails just goes to show that everything can be saved haha but yeah congrats i like it eager to see what u do with it!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
hahaha notchback. i'm considering it since i do like coupes with the silvia conversion. but i'll have to see what condition all 3 are in. that's the determining factor. also the coupe is auto aka more work to do. i have the money so as long as one of the cars is in good enough condition and the price is right i'll have an 89 this weekend.

ironically there is also a ka24e w/ 5spd near me. if the car is in the right condition i may buy the ka24e as well and get it running. but that's daydreaming right now.

SORRY FOR THE THREAD JACKING! lol

1 - 20 of 358 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.