Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im on the search for a flux core mig welder to do some welding on the 240sx but i dunno how thick the sheet metal on the car is and was just wondering if anyone had experience with welding the 24o. Also part of the underbody is rusted and was wondering how thick that was too so i could find a appropriate welder.

·
Premium Member
5,166 Posts
You're probably looking at one of those rinky-dink cheapo flux core welders... DONT DO IT!

If anything put your money into a small MIG welder that runs on house voltage and has hookups for gas. Gas is cheap and most places let you rent a decent tank for ~$30 a year. It's soooooo much better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No im looking at the MIG welders that can be gasless or gas but im probly gonna use flux for a while im trying to find one that can be turned down to close as 20 amps as possible around 100-200 dollars and seen a lot of clarke, linclon ones that dont seem to bad

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Get a Lincoln or a Hobart (which is made by Miller).

Any 110V unit will be fine, but it is REAL easy to get parts for a Hobart or Lincoln... not so much for teh other brands out there...

I have a Hobart Handler 135 (110v unit), I haven't found anything I couldn't weld yet... but I'm not trying to repair the Titanic either.

Here is something to think about...

if you get a Hobart, it will come with all the stuff you need to run gas or flux, except the tank for the gas...

If you get a Lincoln, you have to by the accessory pack for the gas hoses, valves/gauges, etc... and extra $100+

I have built the exhaust system (mild Steel exhaust tubing) on my car with my Hobart, it will do body panels all day long...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Go name brand. I have a lincoln arc welder and it has never failed me. It only has a 20% duty cycle at max amperage but my dumbass has gone well beyond that duty cycle and have yet to burn it up.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Well it should be adjustable so you just have to set your amps and wire feed to the right setting depending on how thick the metal is.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If you do not know how to weld yet....

you will burn metal...

I wouldn't start by trying to learn on your car's body panels... ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well isnt the recommended 20 amps but most of the cheaper welders lowest they can go is 30 so i dunno as for practice welding i have a parts car to practice on

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks a lot ill take a look at it........
i was looked through a lot of sites just wondering if anyone had first hand experience with a welder that was under 200

1 - 11 of 11 Posts