Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gears are grinding when shifting into 2nd gear from first after I got my rebuild.

This only happens when:

-The clutch is not fully pushed in
-I'm not completely letting off the gas

If I do push the clutch in and let my rpms drop it doesn't happen, and the grind isn't always happening. It could be the fact that I rarely drive it now and just am getting lazy in my shifts breaking the new rebuild in but I'm doubting that. The car has 201k miles and I don't think the synchros have been changed yet. The clutch has low miles, 10-15k or so, not quite sure but I know it's only a few years old.

Anyhow if anyone can deduce what my problem is or give me a good idea or send me a link to a forum post that'd be great.

You can also email me at [email protected]

Other than that the 2.5L (Ahwooga) is breaking in nicely.

·
Another squid on a Gixxer
1,448 Posts
sounds like a synchronizer isn't put in properly, or is damaged. who did the rebuild of the trans, and what all did they do?

edit: just read the post in full..

you'll want the synchros replaced man.. especially on a trans with THAT many miles on it.. sorry, but you're prolly gonna need to pull it again and have them all replaced with newer units.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What am I looking at price wise for labor and parts?
Would it be cheaper and easier to replace the tranny with an old one?
Does removing the tranny involve pulling the engine?

Sorry my knowledge on cars is somewhat limited, the most experience I've had was pulling the engine with my old mechanic, mainly an unbolt this that this that and this situation.

If I can replace the tranny how hard is it to do on your own by just swapping it with a used one, I'm somewhat parsed for cash after the rebuild (It had to be rebuilt TWICE, FML)

Any response would be great, detailed response would be even better, I'll take anything I can get.

Lastly if you got links to websites that sell tranny's hook me up. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
so your trans grinds after you rebuilt your motor? is the trans stock? if so then replace your fluid with some redline mt-90 & see if it still grinds. but yes your synchro's will grind if you dont have the clutch fully in. so mayb just try to baby it a lil more. i have not got around 2 changin my fluid yet because school leaves me no car project time, but if i baby my car around it does not grind. but if i am railing it around it will grind sometimes

·
1,448 Posts
if your transmission is in good shape, it shouldn't grind if your clutch is fully pressed disengaged. I couldn't tell you on the labor or parts how much.. but I'd trust a fresh rebuilt trans over a junkyard used ones any day. pulling the trans is very easy though.. unbolt the slave cyl from the bell housing, unplug all wires from the trans, mark the drive shaft at the rear end with a paint marker, unbolt the drive shaft, and remove it. remove the starter, then, unbolt the bell housing from the block, remove the trans cross-member, and wiggle the trans back with a trans jack, or some kind of support under it so it doesn't just fall.. re-install is reverse, making sure you line the marks back up on the drive shaft/rear end to ensure drive shaft balance..

I've replaced more trannys on various cars than I care to recall.. I can pretty much do it blind-folded these days.. and the 240 is really easy for me after my DOHC swap, and motor builds..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try the tranny fluid drain. Unfortunately for me I went back down to Univ Kentucky today and I leave the car back up in Cinci.

-Anyhow thanks again for all the insight and comments, it's very helpful.

·
1,448 Posts
depending on the age of the trans, you may end up having to pull the whole tranny and drain it the hard way.. both 5 speeds I had, I'd broken brand new wrenches trying to get the drain caps off.. and I don't buy shitty tools.. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts