Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im looking to buy a 240, but most of the 240s ive seen on craigslist are mostly automatic. if i purchase a 240 w/ an automatic transmission, about how much would it run me to swap in a 5 speed? and are they hard to come by?

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
No, it's not hard to come by at all, really. The 5-speed swap on 240's (S13's especially) is very easy. I bought a single cam car with a blown motor for $300, and got all of my parts for the swap from that.

Pay attention to the car that you're getting the parts from, and make sure that your car and the car you get the parts from are both ABS cars, or both non-ABS cars, as the ABS and non-ABS cars have different driveshaft lengths.

Basically, all you need from the donor car is the trans, crossmember, and the clutch hardline.

You'll need more parts, obviously, but, if your donor car has high mileage, it's worth it to just get a new master and slave cylinder.

Honestly, buying an automatic is a pretty good idea. Usually, the auto cars are better taken care of, and aren't driven as hard as their manual-transmissioned counterparts. I bought a super clean auto 240 and swapped it. I've got a great car, great motor, and it was actually fun to swap the car.

*edit*
I see you asked about cost. Usually, the entire swap can be done for less than 1000 dollars. Obviously, if you do your homework, and shop around, you can get it done for a lot less. Even with the Comp Stage 2 clutch and pressure plate, and lightweight flywheel, I did my entire swap for less than $1000. (Not including the limited slip differential and the install/setup costs for that. I did that at the same time as my trans swap, because I used the differential from my donor car, which was an ABS car, and enabled me to use an ABS driveshaft in my non-ABS car).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts