Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! So I've been having this problem with my car for about a week and its starting to bug me. Just some info ahead, it is on a smaller race battery, yes I charged it twice already and it doesn't seem to help. I've been driving this car regularly for the past few months and its held up perfectly fine other than needed to charge the battery when its time, well one weekend after not using it I go to start it on Monday and it barely cranks at all and then clicks for awhile after turning to ignition, after taking the keys out and retrying a second time, suddenly there is now no cracking or clicking and its not starting, the check engine light comes on though. The issue with that the engine is under 10k miles so I'm kinda stumped here. Anyone help? Its my first car and I do plan on keeping it for as long as I can, been aiming for one since I was 5 and now after driving and owning one I can see myself parting with it, they're just so fun lmao. Sorry if its a long post, wanted to include as much as possible

·
Registered
64 Posts
Almost sounds like a starter that went out, look for the fiield service manual (FSM) and look for how to test the starter or just google it. Usually you just check voltage drop to starter and from there you can either smack it with a hammer but carefull with the positive terminal on the starter and see if it starts or remove it and take it to an auto parts store that tests them out of the car(bench test).

Also before removing the starter look up what way to manually turn the engine with a ratchet, the bigger the better you have for more leverage. But before you do it disconnect the battery or at least make sure it can not be accidentally started. This will let you see if the engine isnt suck(siezed). It will spin either way but you want to always try to spin the way of normal rotation which is uaully clockwise from the front of the car but double check.

Now if its a manual trans if i remember corectly the clutch switch behind the pedal should give you some pretty high ohms after the switch, usually anything over 3 is high but usually read in 1000s or higher ohms if the starter is bad again usually.

If it does end up being the starter i would suggest not going with a remanufactured from oreillys unless your ok with possibly having to replace it again soon through their lifetime warranty. Ive had two from them fail after about a year or less and needed to replace them again but they have been ok ever since.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts