Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I just recently changed my clutch from the POS autozone clutch to the ebay F1 stage 1 clutch. I changed it because i thought my throw out bearing wentout, i was driving and i still had the same pressure in my clutch pedal but i couldnt get into gear. when i tried going near any gear it soundes like it was grinding or somehting.. so i changed my clutch and it drove fine afterwards .a little stiffer because its a stage one and a better pressure plate.. It was a little harder to get into first gear from a dead stop. Any how after like 850 miles just breaking the clutch in It just started doing the same thing.. when it started happening this last time i just turned the car off and let it cool down for a while. then it finally let me back into gear but i drove home in 2nd gear only.

So im trying to figure out what my problem could be i know i put the clutch on right. i tried flushing the system cause it was pretty dirty. there is no dampener box so thats not a problem.. it doesnt seem like the slave is pushing the fork completely. so im wondering if it could possibly be the soft line swelling? i already ordered the steel braided line just waiting for it. could that be the problem? should i change the slave as well? or could it just be my transmission going?

When this problem first came about i was at a car meet and when i couldnt get into gear if i pumped the clutch itd let me get in.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Definitely sounds like the hydraulics.If the steel line doesnt fix it change you maste. They cost like 30 bucks for both master and slave its worth changing them out before pullin your shit apart again

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.. yeah im hoping that it does fix the problem and thanks for the advise, willl do if this line doesnt fix it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
its the master

"if u pump the clutch it would let u go in gear"

replacing the master with out the slave will cause slave issues.(and there cheap do it all)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even if the master is not leaking? it would let me get into gear after pumping the first time it happened before i changed the clutch. but the pumping thing doens really work now...

·
Registered
245 Posts
even tho its not leaking the seals on the inside would be bad making it so u have to "pump to get pressure"

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
okayy so this morning i got up and changed the master cyl and the salve cyl. (not brand new) i had extra ones from when i first changed my clutch like 6 months back and i thought it was my hydraulic system but it wasnt so the old master and slave were still good. anyways i changed them both but i kept the same high pressure hose on there. I bled the system by myself and the clutch had good pressure same as before so i started it and i shifted through all the gears they went in fine. so i took it for a drive down the street. everything seemed fine shifted smoothly then i got to the stop sign put it in first and when i took off not givving it much gas maybe 2800rpm's i felt like the clutch burn or slip or w/e for a second i felt in in the pedal and heard it as well. but it still shifted fine so i made a u turn got back to the stop sign and everything went smoothly out of first. got back to my drive way was gonna see if reverse was working fine but right when i lined up to back into my driveway it started happening again i pushed the clutch in and i couldnt get into any gear everytime i went near the gear it didnt sound like grinding but a different noise just an "errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" and if i let the clutch out and went near the gear it wouldnt do that.. so im not quite sure that the steel braided line will fix my problem.

has anyone had this happen at all? what could it be? im not sure if the clutch is fully disengaging but it seems like it is becuase i got into gear at first and was driving around shifting fine.

oh and when it wouldnt let me get into gear i tried to just pump the clutch to see if that worked. didnt really work but i was triying to push my car to the side but i couldnt do it by myself because of my welded diff. but i got back into the car after it sitting there at idle and then it let me into gear. i didnt even try to shift i stayed in first around the block and drove up into the driveway.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just a quick question... Hows your Trans fluid?

I know you already worked out it was most likely a hydraulic issue... but it never hurts to check.

oh, and try adjusting your clutch pedal.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
If you keep getting this same problem and you have replaced the slave/master and properly bled it, I would lean towards the throw out bearing and sleeve or fork. You said you removed the damper already, right? When you put the new clutch in, did you properly install the fork onto the sleeve? When you changed the clutch did you drain the tranny before dropping it? If you did, then you should know how to check the level in it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i Just got my steel braided line in . havent put it on. and this time changing the clutch i didnt drain the fluid i had royal purple in it and i didnt have the money to buy any more fluid so i kept it in there. yes the dampener is removed. im hoping that its just the rubber line swelling. because the clutch has only been on 850 miles.. if it were the bearing would i hear like a whirling noise? im pretty sure i put the fork on the sleeve right otherwise it wouldnt ahve been fine for those 850 miles.. when i replace the line ill take the slave off and see how much play there is with the fork. . and is it possible that low fluid could be the problem?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Whirling noise could definitely be throwout bearing.

To check trans fluid levels, take out the plug from the side of the trans, and reach inside. fluid level should be even with the threads on the bottom of that hole if you car is sitting level.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah i dont hear a whirling noise so i dont think its the TOB but im about to work on it now ill let everyone know how it turns out..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts