Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently just bought a new cd player and speakers for my car after 3 yrs of riding around with all the speaker blown. Only thing now is that I dont feel like paying 300 to have my whole car rewired and the new face unit put in. So if someone could walk me through the entire process, explaining it to me like as if I was a 5 yr old I would really appreciate. Any comment or suggestion would be helpful(like where I can buy speaker wire, or what kind to use, or how I would go about rewiring the car), and for those of you that want to tell me to search or that I am an idiot, then go ahead, AS LONG AS YOU GIVE ME SOME USEFULL INFO along with the flaming.

Thank you in advance for all your help,

Pablo.

PS: I also have this old amp that the previous owner had in the car, and am not sure if it would be worth my time to install it. The front says Kenwood KAC-628. The face unit I bought is a alpine 9851 and the speakers are some type of kenwood speaker.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
1. go to store and buy wiring harness(technically there will be two seperate harnesses but they will be together in the same bag) for nissans and the radio adapter for nissans

2. if you prefer buy butt connectors or use electric tape

***BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING DETACH THE NEGATIVE BATT TERMINAL***

3. take off shifter

4. pop off the trim around the shifter / radio

5. unscrew radio mount metal thingies

6. d/c the wire harness for the old HU and d/c the radio cable (3 things connected total, two harnesses and 1 radio cable)

7. unscrew the old HU

8. go inside house

9. wire the back of the new HU to the wire harness you just bought, most all colors match, if you have questions just ask

***DO NOT CONNECT THE BLACK WIRE TO THE HARNESS***

10. strip the wires and twist together then wrap in tape, or crimp them with butt connectors if you bought them

11. screw HU into the metal mount

12. connect the new harnesses you bought to the two harnesses of the car and connect the adapter to the car then to the new HU

***CONNECT THE BLACK WIRE TO A METAL PIECE IN THE HOLE WHERE THE RADIO WAS, THERE ARE TWO METAL BRACKETS THAT STICK UP, FIT A SMALL WRENCH IN THERE AND LOOSEN THE NUT HOLDING THE METAL BRACKET UP, PLACE THE WIRE INBETWEEN THE BRACKET AND CHASSIS THEN TIGHTEN VERY VERY IMPORTANT***

13. reattach neg batt terminal & turn on your car

14. if it doesnt turn on, make sure the yellow and black cables are secure and connected bare wire to bare wire(yellow) and bare wire or spade terminal to chassis (black)

15. if no sounds comes out make sure other wires are connected correctly

16. if radio doesnt work make sure radio connector is secure

17. if it works screw metal mount with new HU back into dash

18. pop the dash in

19. screw in the shifter

20. enjoy :D

any questions, just ask I'm here to help

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Good post, dru!

Just curious, why do you want to rewire the speakers? Is the OEM wiring bad too?

The previous owner of my car ruined the wiring to the rear speakers. I have to rewire mine because of that.

Only one speaker in my car works, and it is blown. Lol I just picked up a pair of Kenwood KFC-X460's off of ebay for 42 dollars shipped to me. They came with speaker wire too. I believe all speakers do. Yours didn't?

As for speakers, I've owned Pioneer, Infinity Kappas, and Kenwood. The Kenwoods were the best. That's why I got another pair of the KFC series. You should be happy with yours.

Are you keeping the stock 4x6 size? I am. I might get an amp for a sub too. I'll take pics of my install and post them.

Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
66 Posts
first off "friends dont let friends install car stereos" lol sorry been a sales person and install for 10 years..... its well worth it to pay a professional to do the job, that way its done right the first time and they are liable for anything done during install (meaning you wire something up wrong and mess up car or product... you lose)...... and it shouldnt cust that much.... a CD player and 4 speakers (assuming u are using the factory size of 4 x 6) ... that install prob run you $125-150 or so.
and my opinion on that amp that was in the car.... it would be better served on subs than small speakers... if my memory serves me (its been 3 years plus since I have sold Kenwood brand) that amp doesnt have an adjustable high pass crossover..... meaning that your gonna be sending way to low of freq to those poor 4x6 speakers which will make them easliy distort and they will not last long..... use that amp for subs and find yourself a nice little 4 ch for your speakers.... just make sure the crossover is adjustable.... hope that helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts