Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my car stalled on me a couple times while i was in neutral for some reason. i came to figure out that when my ac is on my car idles fine. but when i turn it of my rpm's drop and eventually stalls out while im in neutral??????? help

·
Registered
7 Posts
By some MAF cleaner and clean your mass air flow sensor. Don't use carb cleaner because it damages the plastic. Clean the mesh on the unit as well until it shines. Clean the shiney sensor on the side of the post of the MAF. Spray some cleaner into the curved area on the bottom of the post.

Same thing happened to my car. Part of the mesh was dirty and that caused the sensor's accuracy to be thrown off such that it was reading more air than reality. The injectors dose fuel based on that reading thus the car would burn rich and stall. Can you smell gas in the exhaust? If so you might be burning rch. Let me know.

If this doesn't work you may have to clean your IACV and do some general tuneup stuff such as plugs, distributor rotor and CAP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thats what happened to mine. I have a post about recently in the general tech forum. It idled poorly and was burning rich. I did things backwards though...most difficult first..most expensive first. Also the first time I cleaned the MAF I didn't clean the mesh. My theory is that if the mesh is more/ less dirty in the region in front of the sensor's airflow compared to the average dirtyness of the mesh than your air readings will be innacurate. If yours is burning rich and the MAF is the problem because of the mesh then the area around the sensor is propably cleaner than the rest of the mesh. The computer would overestimate the air flow and inject too much fuel. This is the easiest firs step.

My car started to die at idle at first. After two weeks it started hesitating under light throttle and burned rich as hell. The AC raises the idle speed so it might give it a bit more momentum to overcome the problem but it likley is unrelated to the AC itself. If the MAF cleaning doesn't work then trace the air line on your intake. Right before you get to the butterfly valve there is a line that goes toward the back of the engine to a copper tube that runs under the intake manifold on the left of the engine. Make sure the hose on that line isn't collapsing. If you squeeze it you should hear the car bog at idle. This is your idle air and it goes to your IACV. Next youll have to clean your IACV which may be gummed up but if the rpms rise when you turn on the AC than its likley working properly...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Woah, i never ran into that after pulling my ac off. Why the hell would ac effect the idle etc? My car ran just fine without it,never ran rich nor had an idle problem. No i sure as hell didnt pay anyone to fix it. I DID have a thread about ac removal. Just read there guys. I just pulled mine right off and had no problems with the car running bad. Anyways goodluck getting it solved. Im sure you guys can figure it out.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The a/c being on just hides the problem. I just went through this. I replaced my maf (just happened to have an extra) no change. cleaned my iacv. No change. checked for vacuum leaks. None. Adjusted my idle. no change. Checked my cap and rotor. The points were grooved and corroded. I replaced them and now my KA runs fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts