Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 73.3%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm 20 years old. I pay 200$ a month rent to live with my parents.. Do you think that's too much money? If it were my kid living with me, I wouldn't charge him anything i know that much.
What do you guys think? (I make 600$ a month tops)

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
I know around here average for a decent place is like 525 a month, but that's for 2 bedrooms and a bath and a living room and kitchen. All I know is you said your parents were in a financial shit hole too. I know if my parents were hurting I would help them out as much as possible, but I don't know the entire story. 200 a month doesn't sound too terribly out of the question. Do they buy your groceries and feed you and what not?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah they pay for my food and phone, and they are in a bind too.. I don't mind helping them out, but the extra 200$ a month would put me back on track to being able to pay bills and whatnot. If I were in their shoes I know I wouldn't expect any money from my kid, but if they wanted to help, I'd gladly give them money when I could. Instead my credit is getting raped, not to mention my mom filling out credit card applications with MY social security number, or asking for increases.. I already let her get one from walmart for her to get groceries, and shes tried to increase it a few times.

Oh, and I make about 600$ a month tops.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Maybe you should have a chat with them. Tell them that if they helped you out now by taking away your rent it will help you get on your feet. And as soon as you can get a job and back on track you can help them out more than the measly (not in a mean or offending way) $200 a month. I'm sure if you were out of debt and had a better job you would be more than happy to help them out.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
$200 is chump change.

Just like you I pay my parents $200 for rent. On top of that I pay the electric and cable, I pay $230 for car payment, $130 for insurance, and $200 to pay off my credit cards and I still got money to go ballin on the weekends.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
$200 is chump change.

Just like you I pay my parents $200 for rent. On top of that I pay the electric and cable, I pay $230 for car payment, $130 for insurance, and $200 to pay off my credit cards and I still got money to go ballin on the weekends.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
^ haha, win.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Yeah man....$200...Thats cool....Getting credit cards in your name...Not cool....You letting them get credit cards in your name....Also, Not cool.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
^ +1

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
my mom doesnt charge me to live there. i just give her money to buy food, and i use the garage. waiting to go to school and get a job as a paramedic to find my own place. bitches can have me at their place

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had to pay my parents $200 a month rent too. They did give me an option though, either go to school or start paying rent. I moved out about a year later though. But you only making $600 a month is alittle unfair, if you are goin to school. If not then being 20 living at home and only making $600 is a little, well, lame.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I don't let her do credit cards, she basically does it without me knowing, and if its accepted and she gets the card then she tells me.. kinda bogus.. and yes i need a new job, I work 8 days a month. It's ridiculous.. I can't find a job to save my life though. I got an associates in auto technology and I Cant find a job to save my life

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Anyone can get a job better than the one you have....shoot, get a blow off job while you look for a career. Normally I wouldnt say this....but you need to check your mom....Not only is it illegal...Its fucking you over man.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The credit card situation is a bit lame man. I would take that shit as soon as they got it in the mail. Besides, if they're in a financial bind the last thing need is another credit card. Those suck. As far as the 200 a month goes, that's really not bad. I'm sure they pay more to feed you every month then that. my advice would be find a different job even if it isn't in auto tech, just to tie you over. Its easy to find jobs that pay double that a month.

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
200 a month to live with your parents is actually LESS than what you should be paying.

not like it matters, there is no place you can find to live for cheaper than that will all the stuff you have there.

its a sucky situation, but its the best you got.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
I agree about the credit card stuff man. I would be outraged if my parents did that. Credit cards will cause people in good situations go to what they are in now. And someone in that situation shouldn't be getting more debt, they should be getting out of it. I would put an end to your mom getting cards in your name.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dude I got applications at mcdonalds and theyre not even hiring right now.. Chicago is 2nd worst right now I think next to California

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Yes, Tell them that you want to live there for 50$ an month, Or you'll cut your wrists and bleed all over their stuff.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts