Nissan 240SX Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there 240 guys...I'm really reaching here...I am in desperate need of a mechanic for my '92 (automatic). Or to sell it to someone who can work on it, I guess. 馃槹

I LOVE that damn car, and I have been driving it (not VERY FAR THO...LOL) probably since you were in diapers. 馃槈

It's a '92 with only about 118k miles on it. But recently I took it to a shop in San Marcos (im in Carlsbad) and I got it back super messed up. So heartbreaking. I can barely make a decision about what to do. I Know I will forever HATE driving anything else.

Do you know anyone who is STILL dedicated to these cars? Or who may be interested in working on one?

Any direction whatsoever would be much appreciated at this point. I'm really at a loss these days. Yikes!

Thank you and hope you have a fun weekend! 馃
Oops! My name is Peg. And I'm an old broad with a really cool car. Lol

Registered
Welcome to the forums. There's a sizable 240sx community throughout San Diego. I don't live there anymore, but always willing to help answer questions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there! So nice of you to respond. Thanks, Wonderbread! Dig how helpful everyone on here seems to be. 馃榿

Uh, that said -- this is not something you've likely seen on this forum before. And you probably wont believe me, but this is not like me at all. I HATE having to cop out and play the victim, especially on a male dominated forum - but I'm up poop's creek and not at all sure what to do about any of it. Perhaps if I lay out the facts, someone can shove me in the right direction? LOL Great, now I'm advocating more abuse. Trust me, in the past year, I've had more than my share already. grrrrrr

I've had my '92 240sx for a zillion years. Bought it with 20k miles, after searching for six months for the car I really WANTED. I certainly didn't know just HOW RIGHT of a choice I'd made at the time, but it took me about a day of driving it to figure it out. WOW. This car is a dream. Hugs the road, turns on a dime and I got it up to 140mph thru the mountains in CO. All that and not even rated a "sports car" with those kind of ins. rates? JEEZ! I've taken pretty good care of it over all these years. Even w. a couple trips across country, it's still only got about 118k mi on it. Hasn't been modified, either.

But 2 years ago, I failed smog and therein began the issues. I had just spent $500 on new brakes before that, and wound up paying another $1600 for a shop to overhaul the fuel system, so it would pass smog. Wound up having to bring the car back twice because of a nasty fuel leak inside the car. Last summer when I brought it back yet again, I finally had some cash to fix things on it that were not imperative, but had been put off long enough. So I asked the shop to do some repairs, as well as a couple upgrades like LED headlights. Dude fuct doff for THREE WEEKS until about 5 minutes before I had to catch a flight. After barely driving it thruout the pandemic, since I poured over $2k into it, I paid yet another $1350 to get all the the bells and whistles rocking. That was painful, but I was actually very willing to drop the coin, figuring that when I got my car back, it would once again be in supreme condition. Well, not the case.

Not only did the guy not fix anything properly or completely, if at all -- ie; my headlights did not even work, nor did they fit properly and wouldn't close. UGH. That wasn't bad enough -- but after 3 wks in his shop - there were now about 13 more things wrong with the car that I've NEVER HAD ONE ISSUE WITH in the past.

Anyway, since this horrific experience, I've been trying to deal with the B.A.R. here in California, and also the BBB, to absolutely no avail. I have all the proof I need and it's obvious that the guy screwed me over. But I'm out of my depth here with no back-up these days. I'm just spinning my wheels and the car has been BACK in the SAME shop AGAIN for 3 weeks yet again. Don't ask, it was a real bait and switch how the B.A.R. got me to bring it back in there again. But he's not doing squat with my car and I'm about honestly ready to give up and take a short walk off a long pier. LOL THIS IS KILLING ME! I'm not at all willing to give up this car yet. 馃槖 At least, not unless it's someone who loves them as much as me.

Anybody have any creative solutions? I miss just last year- when I'd get offered cash on the spot every time I drove the car anywhere! eek!

I only ask this question, because a guy from Escondido approached me several years ago and gave me his card, saying if I ever needed anyone to work on my car, he'd love it, because he loves 240s. Unfortunately, I lost his digits. Is there anyone with that mindset out there? Or someone who wants to work on it for himself? OR do you know of any North County San Diego shops who I can trust with my 240? Thanks for any useful input. Definitely in need. Peg P ~ Carlsbad

p.s. I guess even just in general; any tips on how to hold this shop accountable?? 馃が馃槨馃ザ thx

Registered
I would say the easiest thing to do is learn how to fix it yourself because it sounds like the shop is just causing more issues. It really depends on what caused you to fail smog in the first place. the emissions report will tell you where you failed and it typically points to probable fixes vs just taking it to a shop. If I were in your shoes I'd have the car towed to another shop for repairs. If you have friends or neighbors who are mechanically inclined you can offer to buy a beer, lunch or something as compensation. I'm actually on a flight back home from San Diego otherwise I'd be willing to help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say the easiest thing to do is learn how to fix it yourself because it sounds like the shop is just causing more issues. It really depends on what caused you to fail smog in the first place. the emissions report will tell you where you failed and it typically points to probable fixes vs just taking it to a shop. If I were in your shoes I'd have the car towed to another shop for repairs. If you have friends or neighbors who are mechanically inclined you can offer to buy a beer, lunch or something as compensation. I'm actually on a flight back home from San Diego otherwise I'd be willing to help.

OH WHITE WONDERBREAD you're killin' me! lol Yeah, I'm actually willing to pay MORE than a 12 pack! hahaha Thanks anyhow. OUCHIE! lol

Registered
No problem, if you need help diagnosing, you can always post videos on YouTube and random people tend to post stuff. Or if you link it here we can try to make educated guesses. My 240sx was always on the verge of failing smog because the cat converter just fails. So I bought a new cat converter just for smog, and once I passed I swapped the defective one back in until it was time to retest. I also had issues with the egr sticking or broken vacuum lines causing the emissions valve to misfunction.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem, if you need help diagnosing, you can always post videos on YouTube and random people tend to post stuff. Or if you link it here we can try to make educated guesses. My 240sx was always on the verge of failing smog because the cat converter just fails. So I bought a new cat converter just for smog, and once I passed I swapped the defective one back in until it was time to retest. I also had issues with the egr sticking or broken vacuum lines causing the emissions valve to misfunction.

sWAPPING IT OUT?! BRILLIANT! LOVE IT!!! hahahaha

Hey, plus, SORRY you're having to bail SD. 馃ズ I've been there...(and don't wanna ever go back. eek!)

Registered
KH3
Hey Peg,

here's a couple places that might be able to help you, they both love their Nissans.

Corner 3 Garage - they have a Nissan Master Technician over there. Located in Laguna Hills they do maintenance, troubleshooting, and aftermarket. Owner has two 240SXs

Fontana Nissan - Its a bit of a drive but this is one of the few awesome Nissan dealerships.

hope that helps,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Peg,

here's a couple places that might be able to help you, they both love their Nissans.

Corner 3 Garage - they have a Nissan Master Technician over there. Located in Laguna Hills they do maintenance, troubleshooting, and aftermarket. Owner has two 240SXs

Fontana Nissan - Its a bit of a drive but this is one of the few awesome Nissan dealerships.

hope that helps,
UMI! WOW, THX A TON! Sorry Im responding so late. 馃く. Didn't realize my gmail wasn't spitting into my Outlook inbox...eek.

Fontuckey, eh? THAT IS far away! 馃ぃ. Laguna sounds local, comparetively. I am so appreciative to get both leads! Need all the help I can muster up.

I finally caved to the omnipresent voices from every direction, barking at me to junk the car. I filled out the online submission at BAR, and it was killing me. You'd seriously think someone died. There is a list of stipulations in order to partake in the state's vehicle retirement program, so I called the junk yard I'd have to bring it to after BAR approval. First I asked the guy how rare it is they actually get a 240 to pick parts off. He perked up, "I've got two of those at home!". LOL. He said he'd give me more than the $1500 CA would to retire it - sight unseen. Big surprise, eh? I said I KNEW ALL THESE IDIOTS BUGGING ME TO TRASH IT ARE CLUELESS!!

He has a bunch of friends with the cars, too, so called around asking if anybody had a hood to sell me... and a day later he texted that he's coming over Wednesday, his day off - to take a look and give me an idea how much it needs to be road worthy, and/or give me an idea of what I can sell it for.

I should've known that 240 owners are simply cooler than anyone else!!馃挆.

Now... anybody know a brutal lawyer I can hire to sue the poo out of the mechanic who effed up my sx?! Because I can't let him get away with such an atrocity. 馃ズ馃槀馃槝. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

Administrator
Welcome to the forum Peg,
I wish I was able to help you. I have several of these cars, but I'm on the opposite end of the country. I wish you were able to post here prior to getting the car to the shop, maybe we would have been able to help you fix your car or atleast steer you towards a shop that can help with your best interests in mind.

I do not know a lawyer that could help you, just a real estate attorney and a few personal injury lawyers that are on the east coast.

Hell, I'd even offer to fly out there to buy the car if it ran fine enough to get home, back here in PA.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
'ello College! Sorry, my gmail acc't is fuct interacting w/ my Outlook lately...so I didn't see this reply til now. (I hopefully just fixed that issue. yikes)

I very much appreciate the helpful attitude, regardless, bro!! I still am in limbo over here. My 90 yr old father is dying in FL - so I've had more pressing matters to keep my mind occupied.

Well---plusss---one of the aspects of this entire debacle that was just making me ill on the daily, was looking at ALL this stuff I bought to fix up the appearance of the car. I was ready to jump on it as soon as I got the car back all fixed up, from this EVIL shop. So -- while I may well wind up junking my baby, or the like, I said 'screw it' and started removal of all these years of blasting beach sunshine oxidation - as well as some rust restore on spots on the roof - and I'm almost ready to primer and paint the roof and back bumper!! I know, I'm ridiculous. But since it's making me feel better - so be it. I already bought the Duplicolor original factory paint color, and some great primer, tape, even 90 alcohol, a bunch of different grits of sandpaper and an electric sander. So I'm just USING THAT STUFF!! I am super curious to see how I do with it anyhow. Pretty amazed how much of the oxidation I got out, even just using the 90% isop. That was crazy.

We have a program here in CA, wherein the state will buy back your aged vehicle for $1500. So many people were moaning at me to do that for so long, that a few weeks ago, before my dad fell ill, I just about completely gave in, signed up online to be approved for that program (haven't heard yet, but that word should be coming any day). Once approved, you have to bring it to a certain junkyard to do the deal. I called the place, just to make sure my car met all the required specs. But since it's a pick n' pull lot, I first asked the guy "How rare is it that you actually get a 240sx in the yard?" He laughed and said "Very. But I have two of them at home!" Said he has a bunch of pals in the area who own them, too, and offered to call around and ask if anyone had a hood I could buy. Said he'd give me more than the $1500, on the spot, if it came to that. Then he texted me later and said he was coming over on his day off to check out the car and help me figure out what all needs to be replaced. Dang, did I get excited. He messaged a couple x, but then when "day off" rolled around, he disappeared. Too good to be true!! lol Trust me, I DID message and ask if I could bring my car in to his work and have him look it over, but I didn't get a reply. Poop!!

Looks like my course will most likely be trying to find a lawyer to sue the pants off this shop, since I have all the necessary paperwork and evidence, and I really believe a lawyer would agree. It's clear as day - so many many ways he completely screwed me and my car. I suppose I'll just have to buy something to drive around, and hope like hell I can get enough to pay lawyer fees AND fix my 240. ?? Sound like a viable plan? I guess it may have to be.

Unless I find someone who wants to buy it. I honestly don't trust it to do another cross country tour currently. This guy just screwed up so much on the car, and I haven't a clue if there are more things I haven't detected yet! OUCH IT HURTS MAN! :poop::poop:馃槪馃挬馃挬馃挬馃槧馃挬馃挬馃挬:poop::poop:馃樄 (excuse me. i'm fascinated by the plethora of poos i have to choose from here! lmfao)

Yeah, that's where it's at. THANK YOU for your kind nature and words, collegestud. haha Appreciate it. You know, obviously my dad's state, puts it all in a different perspective. But I'm still peeved and am dead set against this mechanic getting away with this shite!!

HAPPY WEEKENDING!! 馃寛馃嵒馃殌馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
'ello OUT THERE!?! Anyone? I've got a silly question, but I've been trying researching for too many hours and can't find a damn thing on this...(altho, I CAN find the old moonroof covers, used, online for all the way up to $500!!) 馃槸 'Spose I should just PART THIS THING OUT?!

Well no, I KNOW it has a ton of life left in it -- I'm just lamo and can't work on it myself, so that sorta puts me out of the game. Hence, I've been shining it up in every direction I can possibly manage.

Tried to attach my o

1 - 13 of 13 Posts