Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was a very chilly morning about around eight o clock when i decided to leave my house. I get in the car and notice that all my windows have that morning dew on them so i turn on my heater to get rid of it (the front windows) then i push the defrost button for the back window (nothing weird so far) then as im pulling away my girl notices a burning smell but that quickly goes away. (we said it was probly outside) Then as im arriving to my destination ( 7 min drive) i hear a loud POP! As if a giant pine cone hit the top of my car. I look back though and i see my entire rear window in a million pieces held only together my the tint on it.

What could of caused this?

People told my was because it was cold and the defroster heated the window too fast,but i dont noe about that. The temperature was no less than 40 degrees this moring
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,382 Posts
Glass can break REALLY easy changing temps. The defrosters can get really hot, I know mine can get rid of rain sometimes. 40-90ish can cause a pane of glass to shatter if done quick enough. An older car (which I'm guessing yours is since it's a 240 :p ) will be more prone to this considering it has probably done temperature jumps for many years, making the glass weaker each time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
Not to mention if the cutoff on the defroster malfunctioned, which older cars also tend to do, it wouldn't cutoff causing it to overheat the glass and shatter the window.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top