Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yestereday while i was mocking up and fabbing my exhaust i noticed that i have a plug not plugged in. its blue and theres a peice of masking tape says air regulator. i looked all around and i cant find where it plugs into :eek: what is it for and where does it plug into? :12dunno

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
^ Might want to circle it in paint or something. You have two items close to the middle in that picture. d:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i found it, thanks guys.

whats the purpose of it? how does the engine act if its not plugged in? i only started my car for like 30 sec (it was late and only running off the dump pipe) and it was idling at like 2500. but i didnt adjust my power fc to my injectors at the time. could be other stuff too... its not completely ready yet.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's allows extra idle air during start, that's why your RPM was high. It receives a constant 12v and that will close the valve over time. Engine heat will also close the valve.
Do you also have a Q45 TB?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, ISIS freddy manifold+q45 tb

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no... capped them off.. should they be?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i swapped over the tps from my stock tb over, so im using both plugs on it. but not the q45 idle up. just have to get the air reg plugged in i guess

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's not the TPS i'm talking about. There's a little actuator on the opposite side of the TPS.
When warm coolant passes through the tubing it contracts the actuator. If the line are capped and If the actuator is not removed you will idle high.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im not sure what needs to be removed, can you post up a pic? i pretty much just took the TPS from my stock TB which has 2 plugs, and swapped it over and bolted it on and plugged both plugs in

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
It's not the TPS i'm talking about. There's a little actuator on the opposite side of the TPS.
When warm coolant passes through the tubing it contracts the actuator. If the line are capped and If the actuator is not removed you will idle high.
This is very good to know. I have the Q45 TB and we didn't run the coolant lines through it. The "mechanic" way back when told me that the only reason to do this would be to get the TB open in case of extremely cold temperatures. That the actual water passing through it would allow it to open.

Any truth to that or was he just making stuff up as usual? =)

Should I route my coolant lines through this and use it?

·
Registered
464 Posts
This is very good to know. I have the Q45 TB and we didn't run the coolant lines through it. The "mechanic" way back when told me that the only reason to do this would be to get the TB open in case of extremely cold temperatures. That the actual water passing through it would allow it to open.

Any truth to that or was he just making stuff up as usual? =)

Should I route my coolant lines through this and use it?
The reason most TB's have coolant lines is indeed to prevent freezing at the TB plate. However this actuator is purely for fast idle, as coolant temp goes up the TB plate will close, not open.

For whatever reason it works better than my air regualtor(s) have, so now my air regualtor is unplugged and blocked. The TB itself is barely any warmer now at operating temp than it was with no coolant lines.

This is the actuator that needs to be removed if you don't use the lines.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the pic eh?

so how do i take it off? i took off the 4 or 5 screws that was holding the spring and those brackets on. is that what i was supposed to do? or do i have to actually pull that acuator out? it seemed like it doesnt come out?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok cool i just pretty much took everything off around the actuator including the spring

1 - 18 of 18 Posts