Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a bit of research on this and still cannot decide if it would work or not.

I have a 90 s13 coupe90 (A/T just swapped to M/T) with the stock ka24e, did a turbo build in my last s13(hatch), but had to sell it and now ima try this coupe thing out... :dancingna
I know it would cool the oil, but would this cause alot of random, uncontrolled oil flow, or would it be alright? I am thinking to install a pump right at the tip of the inlet tube to help the oil flow a bit better. I know this isnt going to be a nismo oil cooler, but 10 degree's cooler is still worth of this in my book at least. Just wondering if asny of you have tried this, thought about it, or have some information that i am completley over-looking.

I don't mind if you pick on me... I can take it. :eek4:

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
ive thought about it too. i think it would dependon how many rows are dedicated to the oil section, once you find that out i would decide. if its a lot, i wouldnt do it.

It might be better for you to just snag one of some truck in a junkyard

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You both stated the exact questions i cannot seem to find out. Im thinking to find an s13 radiator in a junkyard and rip it appart seems as how noone seems to know how far up the tranny fluid cooler is dedicated. Im thinking that the radiator itself would hold around 35 pounds safley, and with a few mock-ups and nice plasti-welds in specific spots it should hold 55-60 safley enough. but once again that is just a thought and it could blow holes the second i turn the engine over.

If i cannot find the information by the time my koyo gets here im just going to test it and see if it will hold. I doubt i will test numbers for this unless i see a nice increase in flow. Then i may go ahead and flow test it to see what temp its running. Im ust scared to deprive my engine of oil while testing this, so im going to have to measure the capasity the tank will hold and whatnot... Im new to oil coolers so im learning as i go, and any information anyone has would probably be useful. I've probably looked at every link online about coolers, just looking for some personal experiances and some little things to look out for while testing this. Gunna be some work seeing as how it seems im the only person who's ever tried this, but should make a nice write-up and a nice junkyard power saver when im done.

anyone else wanna join me on this one? Haha..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive thought about it too. i think it would dependon how many rows are dedicated to the oil section, once you find that out i would decide. if its a lot, i wouldnt do it.

It might be better for you to just snag one of some truck in a junkyard
Double post FTW!

I am more or less just interested in this because i am curious, and if all goes well for cheap it might make a really nice write-up and cheap power trick.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
well i think the key would be to see how much pressure an automatic transmission has.

since it doesnt have a cap like the water side, and also oil doesnt expand like water, id bet the radiator could hold the pressure

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i think the key would be to see how much pressure an automatic transmission has.

since it doesnt have a cap like the water side, and also oil doesnt expand like water, id bet the radiator could hold the pressure
The oil does get alot hotter than the tranny fluid though. So im going to have to find out what kind of heat that thing can withstand too.

I ran a pressure test on it today and it withstood 40 pounds easily.. I think it will handle the oil pressure. Im still tring to find out what kind of route the oil would be taking inside the tube. Im just giong to go to the junkyard this weekend and pull a spare radiator and cut into it.

Any good idea's on testing how much heat it can withstand? I was thinking about just teating it with boiling water but i think im going to need something a bit hotter to run through there. And any idea's on the oil flow? Think it will be ok or should i install a secondary pump in the system?

Also, does anybody know of a site or has anyone personally tried to run a ram air out of the piggy nostrils? I was looking at that today too but that will be a project for me to take on way later if i do. Just wondering if there is any info out there on it. I haven't searched yet.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
running a ram air there would be horrible, since it would collect a shit load of debris, and water when it rained. do what i did, if you really want it.

but im sure the radiator can handle the heat

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
well, you can over heat your car, which would be around 240~260F degree's range at that point.

your head gasket would be gone, but your radiator is still fine, especially if it's solid copper or aluminum.

so i think heat resistance test on the radiator is good enough IMO.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, you can over heat your car, which would be around 240~260F degree's range at that point.

your head gasket would be gone, but your radiator is still fine, especially if it's solid copper or aluminum.

so i think heat resistance test on the radiator is good enough IMO.
Yes you can... but the heated fluid travel's through the radiator... cooling it down. And seeing as how the bottom tube isn't part of the radiator itself... It may not be as standable to head as the top tube is. The coolent is still pretty hot when it gets down there... but i doubt it is even at 200F. Plus this tube is pure coated plasti... I dont think it is even rated over 300F. Just curious seems as how nissan or anyone else can voughe for the bottom tube temp or pressure sensitivity. They all just give me the specs on the radiator fins and top tube.

Oil gets pretty hot from what i have seen.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would rather just grab one from the junkyard... and fit up some lines. I just want to figure this out because it was bugging me that i couldn't find any information about it and most people would just grab an oil cooler from a junk yard or a cheap ebay kit unstead of looking into this. Im going to have to work all weekend so i may not get much done with this. I like making crap like this work instead of just buying a kit and installing it. Anybody can do that... There's no pride in it anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts