Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
4 rotor..?!?

i thought the highest was the 3 rotor cosmo engine...

im assuming this one's 2.7L, right..?

edit: 2.6, i didnt hear him the 1st time.:D

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
^ well rotary's are different from a conventional piston engine, to add more rotors, you simply...add more rotors. You will need to find an Ecentric (spelling) shaft (essentially a crankshaft for rotary's) or get one custom made for the number of rotors you have.

He talked about cost being a factor in why he couldnt turbo the car.....holy cow batman. All the stainless lines and A-N fittings cost more than most cars (exageration). If he put a simple Garrett gt30 turbo on each set of rotors, he could have 1000hp in no time (i dont know why you need that power but still). Upgrading the drivetrain would be the most coslty part of the boosting. I am loving the sound....have you guys heard the 787B (mazda old LeMans? 4-rotor race car). Well here it is:
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=10385722-789D-4B39-82C7-44C5033BF826&term=787B&p=0
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=2A719ACD-1837-4EC2-8720-AFB9BDD6DA8A&term=787B&p=0

Did you notice that the 4-rotor rx-7 only had 3**lb/ft of torque.....thats the one bad thing about rotary's, torque doesn't exist.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
luketownsend said:
shoulda gone v-8 if all he wanted was that power. Pretty badass though how did he get the 2 e-shafts to connect I wonder. Prob notched them out to fit together or something. Badass sound that thing screamms
cause we all know that v8's are the answer :greddy:

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
luketownsend said:
shoulda gone v-8 if all he wanted was that power. Pretty badass though how did he get the 2 e-shafts to connect I wonder. Prob notched them out to fit together or something. Badass sound that thing screamms
LOL, I think it would fall apart from the high RPMs if you just made them mesh like that. You have to have a one peice shaft custom made.

·
Registered
10,909 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shwag said:
LOL, I think it would fall apart from the high RPMs if you just made them mesh like that. You have to have a one peice shaft custom made.
^ he's right, the e-shaft would have to be custom made into a single piece..

And as far as as Bryce saying that it would be cheaper to just do a 4 rotor into an fd and leaving it na... the 20b(3 rotor) is more that capable of pushing out 1000hp with turbo and he would of spent the same amount of money on that with what he would have spent on the 4 rotor..(keep in mind the average price on building a 4 rotor is around 100k if i remember correctly)

But overall i still love that sound.. mmm

p.s. I hate when everyone thinks its much cheaper to get that much power by swaping in a v8, granted they may be correct.. but the car will no longer be an rx7(since your removing the motor that was designated for the car in the first place) :smacked49

·
Registered
10,909 Posts
Silvia S13 said:
. . .

p.s. I hate when everyone thinks its much cheaper to get that much power by swaping in a v8, granted they may be correct.. but the car will no longer be an rx7(since your removing the motor that was designated for the car in the first place) :smacked49
werd - the idea is pure faggottry

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
4 rotors wasnt meant to be in the rx7 either. sr20s wernt meant to be in 240sxs rb's definatly wernt meant to. Who gives a shit whats under the hood as long as its fun. 500hp and 500tq without boost you dont need to shift at 8grand but they still can rev pretty high. Also the ls1 is alot lighter then a 4 rotor 26b.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
luketownsend said:
ewwww nooooo. v8s dont belong in rx-7s

·
Premium Member
18,945 Posts
uno said:
cause we all know that v8's are the answer :greddy:
:werd BTW... That car is just plain nuts to be N/A. Hate to bust his bubble though, the 2-rotors are really 2.6L if you do the math making his a 5.2L :eek:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
luketownsend said:
4 rotors wasnt meant to be in the rx7 either. sr20s wernt meant to be in 240sxs rb's definatly wernt meant to. Who gives a shit whats under the hood as long as its fun. 500hp and 500tq without boost you dont need to shift at 8grand but they still can rev pretty high. Also the ls1 is alot lighter then a 4 rotor 26b.
yea i realize that the 4 rotor wasnt ment to be in the rx7 in the first place, but its still a rotary, so as far as i see it, he's just adding 2 more rotors and housings to the engine and making a longer e-shaft.. but if you drop in a piston motor, that isnt even supposed to be in there in the first place is just wrong.. dont get me wrong, i love american muscle and i like hearing a v8 scream, but its not enough to make me want to ditch the rotary and drop in a v8..

An yes the ls1 is alot lighter then the 4 rotor, the ls1 and the 2 rotor 13b are similar in weight which is why alot of people do the swap because you get alot more power out of the box without sacrificing the weight distribution..

im just against the whole v8 rx7 thing since its already tough enough as it is to get a rotary engine for a reasonable price other then having to get a rebuilt engine from mazda, or having to pay a few $100 for a blown motor from someone, then having to spend $1100 for the rebuild kit.. then if the rotors/housings are bad then you need to replace those or fix them if possible..

ah i talk too much, i shut up now..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts