Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the land of fruits and nuts...

California to reduce carbon emissions by... banning black cars?!

In a move that will likely get California's consumers in a huff, impending legislation may soon restrict the paint color options for Golden State residents looking for their next new vehicle. The specific colors that are currently on the chopping block are all dark hues, with the worst offender seemingly the most innocuous color you could think of: Black. What could California possibly have against these colors, you ask? Apparently, the California Air Resources Board figures that the climate control systems of dark colored cars need to work harder than their lighter siblings – especially after sitting in the sun for a few hours. Anyone living in a hot, sunny climate will tell you that this assumption is accurate, of course. In fact, legislation already exists for buildings that has proven successful at reducing the energy consumption of skyscrapers.

So, what's the crux of the problem... can't paint suppliers just come up with new, less heat-absorbent dark paints? According to Ward's, suppliers have reportedly been testing their pigments and processes to see if it's possible to meet CARB's proposed mandate of 20% solar reflectivity by 2016 with a phase-in period starting in 2012, and things aren't looking good. Apparently, when the proper pigments and chemicals are added to black paint, the resulting color is currently being referred to as "mud-puddle brown." That doesn't sound very attractive, now does it? Windshields, backlights and sunroofs are also slated to get reflective coatings starting in 2012.

When we first heard of this issue, an internal debate immediately began as to whether this might be an elaborate early April Fool's joke, but it isn't. Read through CARB's complete Cool Cars Standards and Test Procedures here (PDF link) for more. Thanks for the tip, Joaquin!

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
california would fall off the wagon sooo fast if it were its own country. texas could pull it off, considering its one of the biggest economy's in the world. california would end up being half hippie love, and the other half bario.

·
Registered
852 Posts
These people can't even get a budget done properly and they're worried about the color of car I drive.........

by the same standard then limo tinting should be made legal, but we're not going to see that happen either.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
I seriously can not understand what is going on in the heads of the Legislation in California... it kills me some times.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
California is going to really suck in a few years after they continue to make all these rediculous rules and manage their money so poorly.

Oh wait, it already sucks. I would say I can't believe this, but I'm not shocked at all to see this coming out of California.

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
so, that "reflective" tint they want to put on windows of cars to make the car get less heat... how is that going to feel to ANYONE driving around you... big ass reflecting light shoved in your face. awesome!

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
i dont care itsn not like ima be driving a new car anytime soon in 2016 im still going to have my flat BLACK 240

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
thats a long time in the 240... i suppose by then you can register it as "a classic" and not have to worry about emmissions any more.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
By 2016 I plan to have a nice sexy new Gallardo, although my plans might not go through like I plan haha.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
LOL. I think that they need something better to do.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Kind of like how there's a senate sub-committee deliberating on whether or not the college team championship bowl game selection system is fair or not......Seriously, our politicians need to get their priorities straight.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
Speaking of bullshit school things. I go to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga... our football team SUUUUCKS. Well they decided to jack up tuition by around $1,000 a year so that they can build a new stadium... I have no words on how angry that makes me.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Speaking of bullshit school things. I go to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga... our football team SUUUUCKS. Well they decided to jack up tuition by around $1,000 a year so that they can build a new stadium... I have no words on how angry that makes me.

Sucks for you, but it will be good for the city....If they can be host a bowl game or something like that it brings more revenue to the city....but takes money from the students to build it :(

Californication...stupid laws, great show.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts