Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
91 240sx it wont start I connect the battery and tighten it down go inside all the electronics are working and the interior lights are on the head lights pop up and illuminate just fine but when I turn the key I dont hear the fuel pump prime, I know for sure its not turning on I am getting no fuel pressure. But more importantly I hear a loud click and all the electronics turn off and the car is completly dead. It will continue to do this unless I hook the car up with jumper cables to another car and try and jump start it. Only then will my car turn over but still the fuel pump is not turning on so I am not getting any fuel. What could be causing this electrical problem? my battery is fully charged and tightened down whatever is the cause of this electrical problem is also causing the fuel pump to not start, that is my theory. I grounded the car with many wires throughout the engine bay and I regrounded the starter. I dont know what else to try at this point....

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
mayb the fuel pump is seized & its not putting any pressure out. i doubt it, cuz your car dies when you try 2 turn it over. you prob already checked your fuel pump fuse, so this seems quite odd 2 me. mayb ur car is shorting somewhere near the fuse box & that causes all the electronics to die. good luck w/ur problem

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahaha yea thx I chnaged my fuel pump I think the short caused the one in there to burn out it was taking out the fuses too but thats not the case this time around I also tested the new fuel pump so I know it works. The fuel pump problem is after the fact the real focus is why this damn car isnt turning over without being jumped by something else. I feel like its some sort of short but I have no clue where to start my starter works I mean the damn thing turns the car over but only when the car is being jump startered

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
well if you know your fuel system works, then take off your starter & take it 2 an autozone & test it 2 c if its good. if not you can buy a new 1 (but i wouldn't recommend buying it from autozone). new starters are like 100bux @ kragen. but bow said something interesting, the brushes are what go out usually when a starter goes bad, you can buy new brushes from nissan for real cheap. that option is only if your starter still pops the gear in and out & that part isnt seized. but mayb try hitting your starter briskly but not 2 hard w/a hammer & c if it starts. if so, your brushes r prob shot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You prob have a bad wire from the fuze box to your pump. as for your starter you might just have a short right in the starter. so when you go to turn it over it just compleatly drains your bat. if you have a amp clamp hook it up to your bat positive and see what it reads. you should be able to find a spec someplace

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey guys heres an update:
I changed the battery it had an internal short I also swapped out the fuel pump I think the battery was shorting out and caused the fuel pump to burn out. I fixed my previous problem but now

I still have a problem my car wont turn on but I deffinitly have spark, and fuel. I am thinking I have bad sensors and thats causing the car not to turn on what sensors should I be concerned about that could cause the car not to turn on? I checked my CAS, TPS, MAF and temp sensor. would any other sensors cause the car to not run? I think my CAS is fine but I'm not totally sure is there any way to test it? my TPS is something I'm also wondering about my car is a 91 with an ka24de out of a 95. I have a m/t the new engine from the 95 had a a/t I noticed there was another spot for a connector on the TPS from the 95 but in my service manual for a 91-94 s13 it showed another connector is that just something for an auto? also my temp sensor would that cause the car not to start? I am going to try swapping the other temp sensor from the other engine and see what happens. I was also thinking maybe my timing could be a bit off I followed this tech article to reset timing

Technical Articles: 240sx Distributor Timing

I made sure that the distributor rotor was at cylinder #1 position at TDC is there something that I'm missing? I spin the crank pulley to the 2nd notch as in the walkthrough but should I spin it to the stock ka timing notch? the first notch all the way to the right? am I doing something wrong with timing that may cause the car to not be running?

any sensors that might not cause the car to run plz point them out to me the car has fuel and spark and compression it sounds like it wants to start but its almost as though its missfiring. All the spark plug wires are correct too... what could I be missing???

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
like it said the car is turning over it just wont turn on the starter cant be my problem, its working but for some reason the car will not turn on

·
Registered
16 Posts
cam position and crank pos would cause it not to start. but they would stop spark. i would check compression maybe its out of time or something

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the engine came out of a running 95 its got good compression all around I ran a compression test and I did get the engine running in the past but it would only idle for a few secs and then shut off. Then I had this electrical probem and now I finally fix that crap and I went back to start it and now it wont even start. I never did figure out why my car wouldnt idle I didnt have all the vacuum lines connected properly one of which was the fuel pressure regulator but I just connected that one directly to the intake now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
well the vacuum lines would explain the idle. and i just read your temp senso to sorry dont know how i missed that before but if you dont have a temp sensor pluged it and your car is looking for it your comp will read like negative 40 or somthing in that area. so it will dump exsesive amounts of fuel and flud the fuck outa it so ya that would stop it from starting to.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
interesting... my friend was telling me something similar because we are both really out of ideas since I am getting fuel air and spark there has to be something up with the sensors causing the car not to start. I will swap out the temp sensor and see if it makes a difference, I'm thinking it went bad but people on nico were telling me that a sensor wouldn't cause the car from starting. Can you think of any other sensors that would prevent the car from starting?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts