Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been overdue for an upgrade.

do i:

upgrade to a bold and just call it good.

or

track down a unlocked G1 (can i use att 3g on it if its unlocked or is it still gimped?)

any other suggestions (and dont mention the POS fuze.... anything with windows mobile is a no).

·
Suck My Balls!
3,549 Posts
I just upgraded to a samsung omnia which was supposed to be the the iphone killer. It does everything well except actually work as a phone.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts

I have the HTC Touch Pro. It has Windows, so I guess it is an automatic no for you. Overall, it is a very good phone but not the easiest to learn. You have to sit down and mess with it for a bit, but then again my previous phone was a Motorola Slivr (non-flip Razr) so I wasn't used to flip phones.

The phone is a little slow, but really not that big of a deal. The Windows Mobile really isnt that bad, it has a skin where it does not look like Windows at all. If you pay attention and make sure you close all your applications, the battery life is OK. If you just minimize them and leave them running, the battery will drain very quickly.

Phone is also a little thick, but its not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my friend with an unlocked iPhone can use the t-mobile 3g network, so i'd assume its the same?
nope, the frequencies on the g1 hardware are different and exclusively purchased by tmobile :(.

none the less we will see, i picked up a g1 today and am unlocking it (got it for a steal for the gf but she wants me to try it out for a bit before she decides to keep it or not). So.... ill let you know how i like it with just EDGE.

and no.... im anti iphone.... i <3 android and am just pissed it doesnt come on att yet.

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
the iphone is great, but if you get one, get the newer one.

a legit reason not to like it?

1. its on at&t
2. its mad expensive
3. unless your on a family plan, your monthly bills are kind of high
4. dont drop it...ever
5. people wont leave your phone alone
6. the Apple takes over the world, everyone with an iphone will be the first slaves
7. for every iphone bought, Angelina Jolie adopts another kid
8. a little bit of you dies inside when you realise you never need technology ever again.

·
GnarKiller
5,116 Posts
I work for Verizon so I probably won't be too much help to you. I have the Storm and think it is the best smart phone offered by Verizon at this point. We all know Windows mobile sucks, even with the new brower, Opera. I personally like the way RIM sets up their phones and feel like it is a whole lot more professional then the iPhone. It really boils down to what you need out of a phone.

If you want a phone to get emailing on the go, internet browsing, and full keyboard.. the BOLD is the phone for you. I've played with my friends and it is amazing (runs better then my storm IMO).

If you want a phone that you can drive a go car with, dump beer into another phone, and fake call people get the iPhone. The iPhone is childish in my mind, but I really don't have time to play games on my phone.

The Omnia isn't that nice either in my opinion. It just has a bunch of different ways of telling the time. Samsung and Moto haven't kept up in the touch screen market like LG and others.

·
Registered
867 Posts
the iphone is great, but if you get one, get the newer one.

a legit reason not to like it?

1. its on at&t
2. its mad expensive
3. unless your on a family plan, your monthly bills are kind of high
4. dont drop it...ever
5. people wont leave your phone alone
6. the Apple takes over the world, everyone with an iphone will be the first slaves
7. for every iphone bought, Angelina Jolie adopts another kid
8. a little bit of you dies inside when you realise you never need technology ever again.
1 - So?
2 - Because it's worth every penny, digi cam, laptop, phone, game console, etc all in one
3 - not really
4 - It's proven safe up to a 6 foot drop, my friend (6 foot tall) dropped mine while walking in the street from his ear and its fine.
5 - if you tell them to gtfo they will, but usually its fun showing off how much better your phone is than theirs
6 - apple is god
7 - end of hunger in ethiopia
8 - cause its always in your pocket

·
GnarKiller
5,116 Posts
I do like the idea of a slide out keyboard on the behold, but I'm still hesitant about Samsungs touch screen quality. I wasn't impressed with the Omnias touch interaction at all.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
^ You're thinking of another phone. The Behold doesn't have a slide out keyboard. Full touch screen.

Honestly, the Behold and the Eternity (available on ATT and is my current phone) are great if all you're looking for is a media phone (music, video, pictures, games, and on-line connectivity). I'll talk about my personal experience with the Eternity. I LOVE THIS PHONE! Touch screen isn't perfect, but it's still pretty damn good. As a phone the only downfall I've encountered is it not having a speed dial function (I don't care). I hardly ever get dropped calls (when I do it's usually with another att subscriber) and sound on both ends always seems to be top notch.

As a media phone it's honestly one of the best I've had (Previous phones: MotoQ & W810i). It's slim and sleek which I loved about my MotoQ and fulfills my needs for entertainment which is what my W810i did. Picture quality is pretty nice for a phone as it has a 3MP camera, but no flash (I miss my W810i for this because the flash was also a flashlight) so dark areas aren't the best to capture a smile. I have 2 16GB miniSD cards for all my music and favorite TV shows & Movies and they all play perfectly. Though videos can at times be to pixelated I really can't complain because it's still badass having this in the palm of my hand. Online speeds are very quick with the 3G network, hell at times it loads faster than my home DSL connection (cheap Verizon 786k). To make things better get the OperaMini Browser. Everything will show up just as it would on your desktop or laptop.

When I get a bit more daring I'll do a few mods. It's still a relatively new phone that hasn't been touched by the "phone hacking" community, but in due time you'll have plenty of applications (There are some nice ones out already) for it and hacks as well.

**Samsung Behold has a 5MP Camera with LED Flash**

·
GnarKiller
5,116 Posts
Who needs Opera mini when Mozilla is cooking up a Firefox mobile that will work on your Blackberry?

Sorry about my mislead with the Behold. All the behold looks like is T Mobile's verision of the Omnia. I wonder if it rocks Windows Mobile?? If not it would be interesting. I still think the Samsung touch screen isn't up to par with LG/RIM.

And I'm not downing anyones choice of phones, I just work with these things on a daily basis and see the pros and cons. The Blackberry's are by far the most user friendly PDAs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts