Nissan 240SX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm from Canada and I'm looking into importing a 240sx from the US. I've found one in cali that i like and want to import. Its stated as having a "Clean Title" although it appears the air bag has been deployed at one point or another. I asked the buying about the steering wheel and he says it may have been in an accident with the previous owner. Anyway, my question is: Does this mean that this car still has a clean title, even though the air bag has been deployed? What exactly does having a "Clean Title" mean?

hope i dont get flamed for this but i have no idea if the laws or different in the States or what.

Thanks!

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
"clean title" just means that its not stolen, a salvage, or in someone else's name other than the current owner. not to mention that it is up to date on its registration.

if it looks like the airbag has been deployed, it probably has been. which means you need to get more details on the crash.

if i were you, i would avoid the car all together. 240's are pretty easy to find... so just find another one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got the VIN and couldnt wait on the carfax report =P. Really excited about this car. Found out it was in an accident under the first owner. "Accident reported
Involving a rear impact
with another vehicle"

I'm assuming that means it was rear ended and not the other way around. Other than that it looks all good. No title problems, no frame damage. Just the one accident. Although its only got one service record.....no idea if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

Edit: As well, the owner of the vehicle said that it had been in an accident but not while he owned it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
oh, and pics so we can judge it a little better.
Pictures do help alot for those that haven't seen the car in person

240's frames don't take much to bend/break/warp as far as serious accidents go, so i would do a thorough inspection before even considering the purchase of that car.

But IMO you should just avoid the car, and find another. Shouldn't be hard on the west coast, especially Cali.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures do help alot for those that haven't seen the car in person

240's frames don't take much to bend/break/warp as far as serious accidents go, so i would do a thorough inspection before even considering the purchase of that car.

But IMO you should just avoid the car, and find another. Shouldn't be hard on the west coast, especially Cali.

Honestly out of the pictures I have at the moment you really can't see anything. It's quite evident that it's been repaired (I mean the accident occured in 98 lol). The only thing you can really see is that on the steering wheel the air bag has been deployed at one point in time. And, if it had frame dmg wouldnt it likely be on the carfax if the accident was on there?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
No it might not....Carfax just gets what police, insurance, and DMV's tell it. If the car was in a wreck it was probably reported to the police. Then it could have sat in someone's backyard for 5 years before boceefus and his brother which is also his dad put some new body pieces on it and flipped it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No it might not....Carfax just gets what police, insurance, and DMV's tell it. If the car was in a wreck it was probably reported to the police. Then it could have sat in someone's backyard for 5 years before boceefus and his brother which is also his dad put some new body pieces on it and flipped it.

lol....well...the longest it could have sat for was 2 years because it was sold to a new owner in 2000. Car looks clean now minus the airbag issue.

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
the airbag thing is a huge issue for me. maybe not for you, but i know for a fact that airbag deployment rips the interior a new asshole.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the airbag thing is a huge issue for me. maybe not for you, but i know for a fact that airbag deployment rips the interior a new asshole.
surprisingly, the interior is quite clean. You can only tell its been deployed because of the steering wheel...which i can always go aftermarket for. Otherwise it looks good to me. Are there any other issues with air bag deployment other than interior?

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
might have issues with the onboard CPU if they never reset it, which im sure they did.

outside of that... you should be fine. except the fact they hit something hard enough to toss out the airbags... means they hit something doing at least 35.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
^ Agreed about the speed thing. My buddy has wrecked 3 cars, all of which completely totaled out, not a single one deployed the air bag.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
If you are set on buying a wrecked car, go for it....Personally, I would never buy a car thats been wrecked, flooded or modded past maybe exhaust and cold air intake....I dont trust people.

·
11 Got the BanHammer
14,750 Posts
^ very true. just because they say that they did it right, and they sound like they know what they are talking about...doesnt mean anything.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol honestly I've been having so much trouble finding one that I don't want to post pics until i've actually got the car in my driveway.

Its near impossible to find a clean s14 in canada unless you import from Japan (which isn't in the budget for my DD. In a couple years I might get an S15 imported unless the 15 year import rule changes), so thats why I've been looking down south. Cheaper, cleaner cars for a bit more work involved in getting the vehicle.

As of right now, I've got a little money down on the vehicle and just have to do a couple more things before i pay for it and get the title, as well as getting it shipped (although I have gotten a quote just recently).

So....I'm just hoping all goes well!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
good luck to you! and eventually, whenever you get one, you can go snow drifting over 1/2 the year.

Thanks! very much appreciated! And yes i can. Just gotta make sure i get a good undercoating. I will hopefully only have to winter the 240 for this year. If i have enough money...I'll buy either a subaru awd or just a daily civic to slide around in all winter (hoping on the subaru).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts